DC charging question

Hockey29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got my ’22 4S and love it!! I’m new to the EV world so charging is new to me and my needs. I’ve got the AC charging Profile set to 85% (Level 1 and 2), but have a question about DC charging (not Direct charging).

For DC charging (using the right port with the flap down), can you set a Profile to limit to 85% like you can for AC?

Also, is there a way to limit the time charged for DC?

I used an EA, which was at a Mall, and went shopping. I have the General profile set to 85% and plugged into a DC Level 3.
I was there longer than 30 minutes and the car charged to 100% and I got billed a slight amount to my credit card. I’m trying to figure out how to use a Level 3 DC charger (I hope those are the correct words) at an EA or EVGo and limit it. I’m not sure how I could have stopped within the 30 minutes…except for set a timer on my phone, stop what I’m doing, go down to the parking garage and unplug.
Are you able to set a Timer to 30 minutes like you can on an iPhone?

Is there a way to stop charging from the app? I was monitoring the progress on my phone but couldn’t find a way to use the app to stop.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Profiles are for AC. AFAIK, there’s no way to set a time or charge limit for DC.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
+1 for @Jhenson29 - profiles and timers and limites are ignored for DC Fast charging.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there a way to stop charging from the app? I was monitoring the progress on my phone but couldn’t find a way to use the app to stop.
if you've started the charging sesssion w/EA via the Porsche app on your phone you can stop the charging session via the same app - however the second you stop the session you begin your 10 min idle counter - so you need to be able to get to the car and unplug otherwise you'll be charged idle fees.

OP
OP
Hockey29

Hockey29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you all for the clarification. I forgot about the stupid idle fees!! I guess it'll be fine to charge to 100% every once in a while.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I guess it'll be fine to charge to 100% every once in a while.
Assuming you don’t live at the DC charging station, you’ll be driving again relatively soon and it won’t be at 100% for long, yeah?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Assuming you don’t live at the DC charging station, you’ll be driving again relatively soon and it won’t be at 100% for long, yeah?
again +1 for @Jhenson29 - it's not necessarily charging to 100% that is bad - it's charging to 100% and then letting the car sit at 100% for an extended period of time…unless you're doing this multiple times a week I wouldn't sweat it - and that's what the 8 year 100,000 mile battery warranty is for

relax
enjoy the
fast charge when you need to
and unless it's a multiple times a week thing I wouldn't worry about it.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
And be nice with the other users that might need to charge, go unplug your car and move it away to free up the place.
Soon you will be on a road trip or in a hurry and you'll be pissed off to see all those new EV driver leaving their car plugged in because they have free charging sessions.
Sponsored