Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag
I’ve driven a Model S since 2013. The company is A PAIN IN THE ASS to deal with but the cars are beyond spectacular. It would be impossible for me to ever drive another ICE car. But I was excited to move to the 4S and ordered one. But after reading of all the software issues and the hapless dealer responses, I won’t chance it as we do a lot of road trips. So I’ve cancelled the 4S and ordered a new MS. It’s a lot of car and $40k less.

Fact is that Tesla’s technology is 8 years ahead of everyone else. Sandy Munro, the guy who tears products down, including automobiles (his very profitable company's foremost interest) in order to critique the manufacturing process for their clients has come to the conclusion that Tesla's lead in the foreseeable future is almost insurmountable because they've innovated so well in creating a manufacturing process for EVs whereas VW, GM, Ford, etc. have been held back by their established supply chains that require them to have up to four times as many electrical connections as Tesla. They continue to adapt old in-stock systems to their new cars -- expensive manufacturing, frequent complicated repairs, expensive service. His further findings: The original Model 3 had 140 parts in its rear end that all had to be bolted or welded together. The current Y and future Teslas have a SINGLE huge casting in place of those 140 parts -- orders of magnitude less expensive to manufacture, an order of magnitude less expensive to assemble, and an end result of perfect panel alignment with little or no need to adjust the gaps. No one else has done this because castings that large require heat treatment to give the metal back the integrity it loses in casting, and that invariably alters the shape of the casting. Elon et al. invented a new (patented) aluminum alloy that doesn't require heat treatment. Tesla encountered problems using the Nvidia cpus in their neural-net computers, so they stole from Intel a giant in the field of chip design and created their own CPUs with something like ten times the computing capacity because the thing was made expressly to process the images sent from cameras, radar, and LIDAR. Again, no competitor is doing anything like that. No competitor has used anything but old off-the-shelf compute units and integrated circuits that are not purpose-built. They buy them from manufacturers in their vast, established supply chains and usually require over a hundred of these per car. Tesla Incorporated all those functions into four or five boards with a tiny fraction of the connections. Even in electric motor design, where I thought that European competition might prove deadly for them, Tesla still has the most efficient motors (= longer range) in the business.

Munro says it'll take the rest of the industry 5-8 years to catch up to where Tesla is in 2021, and by that time, Tesla will be in 2029.

Bottom line: on paper, the Taycan is the best EV in the world. But on the road, Tesla beats the wheels off it.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Bottom line: on paper, the Taycan is the best EV in the world. But on the road, Tesla beats the wheels off it.
You have that completely backwards. It's Tesla that's the better car on paper; better 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance, longer range, larger charging network.

It's the intangibles that make the Taycan the better all-around EV sports sedan.

In other words, Teslas are boring. It's the perfect car for people who don't like cars. They have uninspiring designs, they are not fun to drive, unremarkable driving dynamics, poor build quality, and low grade materials. Personally, after owning the Taycan for 3 months, there is absolutely no way that I could get back into a Tesla.

element

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT
Country flag
You have that completely backwards. It's Tesla that's the better car on paper; better 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance, longer range, larger charging network.

It's the intangibles that make the Taycan the better all-around EV sports sedan.

In other words, Teslas are boring. It's the perfect car for people who don't like cars. They have uninspiring designs, they are not fun to drive, unremarkable driving dynamics, poor build quality, and low grade materials. Personally, after owning the Taycan for 3 months, there is absolutely no way that I could get back into a Tesla.
he is a troll posting same stuff on each thread.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I’ve driven a Model S since 2013. The company is A PAIN IN THE ASS to deal with but the cars are beyond spectacular. It would be impossible for me to ever drive another ICE car. But I was excited to move to the 4S and ordered one. But after reading of all the software issues and the hapless dealer responses, I won’t chance it as we do a lot of road trips. So I’ve cancelled the 4S and ordered a new MS. It’s a lot of car and $40k less.

Fact is that Tesla’s technology is 8 years ahead of everyone else. Sandy Munro, the guy who tears products down, including automobiles (his very profitable company's foremost interest) in order to critique the manufacturing process for their clients has come to the conclusion that Tesla's lead in the foreseeable future is almost insurmountable because they've innovated so well in creating a manufacturing process for EVs whereas VW, GM, Ford, etc. have been held back by their established supply chains that require them to have up to four times as many electrical connections as Tesla. They continue to adapt old in-stock systems to their new cars -- expensive manufacturing, frequent complicated repairs, expensive service. His further findings: The original Model 3 had 140 parts in its rear end that all had to be bolted or welded together. The current Y and future Teslas have a SINGLE huge casting in place of those 140 parts -- orders of magnitude less expensive to manufacture, an order of magnitude less expensive to assemble, and an end result of perfect panel alignment with little or no need to adjust the gaps. No one else has done this because castings that large require heat treatment to give the metal back the integrity it loses in casting, and that invariably alters the shape of the casting. Elon et al. invented a new (patented) aluminum alloy that doesn't require heat treatment. Tesla encountered problems using the Nvidia cpus in their neural-net computers, so they stole from Intel a giant in the field of chip design and created their own CPUs with something like ten times the computing capacity because the thing was made expressly to process the images sent from cameras, radar, and LIDAR. Again, no competitor is doing anything like that. No competitor has used anything but old off-the-shelf compute units and integrated circuits that are not purpose-built. They buy them from manufacturers in their vast, established supply chains and usually require over a hundred of these per car. Tesla Incorporated all those functions into four or five boards with a tiny fraction of the connections. Even in electric motor design, where I thought that European competition might prove deadly for them, Tesla still has the most efficient motors (= longer range) in the business.

Munro says it'll take the rest of the industry 5-8 years to catch up to where Tesla is in 2021, and by that time, Tesla will be in 2029.

I don't know why you want to share this with us.
Frankly, I really don't care what you think.
If you're done with Taycan just leave and don't act like a drama queen here.
You really don't like cars and/or driving , that's for sure.
Don't be ridiculous.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
It is just sad to see the Tesla trolls making their way into this forum. How sad is their life that they feel the need to do this? I wonder if these people even own a Tesla or any car at all. Noone here is going to Tesla forums to tell them how much better the Taycan is. Besides the extremely bad ethics or the drive feel of Tesla, being part of a community with these trolls will always make me choose another car maker.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
he is a troll posting same stuff on each thread.
It is just sad to see the Tesla trolls making their way into this forum. How sad is their life that they feel the need to do this? I wonder if these people even own a Tesla or any car at all. Noone here is going to Tesla forums to tell them how much better the Taycan is. Besides the extremely bad ethics or the drive feel of Tesla, being part of a community with these trolls will always make me choose another car maker.
Wow, I had no idea. That is sad ?
Sponsored