Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
My feeling is - unless you must have mission E wheels - not to bother. Reason? My 4S has lived outside in the UK for over 2 years. Has never been in the garage and yet, no sign of any rust or corrosion on any of the discs. In fact I’m not sure if they are even used. If you go by the amount of brake dust when you clean the car as an indication. I’m seeing no dust. I’ve attached a photo for those that might be in doubt. . . .

Rear

Porsche Taycan Do you need the surface coated brakes? 27B34CA2-47B6-41FA-B09E-E33E216757F9
Porsche Taycan Do you need the surface coated brakes? FF479393-E780-4539-B429-B052C02B2946

Last edited:

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
No, you don't need them.

Jonswright

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Range Rover, VW iD3
Country flag
Turbo S with ceramic brakes. Depending how you drive the brakes are hardly used outside of any emergency braking.

Unless you're going to race the car on track days it's not essential.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was schooled on this topic (respectfully). It's easy to overlook how the brakes work on a Taycan but once you do, it will change your criteria for this option.

The mechanical brakes at speed don't come into play until just over .4G and of course at the last portion of your stop. It took a while to wrap my head around it because the feel emulates physical braking perfectly, while not having to resort to single pedal driving like a Tesla. It's pretty remarkable.

That said, PSCB brakes do their thing too and between both, cleaning brake dust is something you can pretty much forget about. The premium to grab them seems like it could be better spent with a better option though. The standard iron brakes are quality expected from Porsche, and even with them, brake dust is pretty minimal.

Given the choice (and I have them) I would put the money into another option.

Last edited:

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
in the configurator the SCB is only available with 21 inch wheel options. This leads me to believe that they will not fit with 20 inch wheels. While I haven't physically verified this fitment issue, this might be a concern if you are considering a 20 inch winter tire setup at some point.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
My perspective here is that the coated brake are the worst of the three options, because they are the heaviest of the three options.

If you don't think that you will ever need the extra capability of the ceramic brakes (PCCB) AND you don't care about unsprung weight, then I think the right choice for you is the standard brakes, because they are the least expensive, the second heaviest, and EVs require less active braking so brake dust should be less of a problem.

If you instead care about any one of the following:

1. aesthetics (e.g., you have mission-e wheels or other larger wheels for which the standard brakes would not look as good);
2. unsprung weight (so that your car rides, handles and performs better);
3. Brake dust; OR
4. extra-braking performance for such a heavy vehicle,

Then the PCCBs are a superior choice over the coated brakes.

I went for PCCBs for a combination of reasons. Are PCCBs necessary? No, no more necessary than buying a Taycan in the first place. . . of course.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Agree that they are not needed. However, if they were 1/2 the cost and came in red as standard, I would have optioned them.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
As others have mentioned there really isn't anything you "need" beyond the base options, or even more extreme no one really needs a Taycan or Porsche of any flavor ;)

So it all comes down to what you "want" versus "need". Of course if you order the Mission E's from the factory you are going to get the PSCBs by default. To upgrade to the PCCBs is another ~$5k. I think the larger brakes look better with the larger wheels and wanted the black calipers. If I had wanted the Yellow calipers I would have optioned the PCCBs (or maybe just had them painted.).

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
in the configurator the SCB is only available with 21 inch wheel options. This leads me to believe that they will not fit with 20 inch wheels. While I haven't physically verified this fitment issue, this might be a concern if you are considering a 20 inch winter tire setup at some point.
Turbo has 20" & PSCB as standard.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Agree with op. I had a 4s for two years in Scotland and similar experience with no corrosion on the discs and little brake dust to clean off

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
From a functional standpoint, eh. Aesthetically, YES. I have PSCBs and if I had to do it all over again, I would've optioned the PCCBs. It's almost double the cost if you want to get it after. But I've also had aftermarket BBKs on all my previous cars.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I have the sport aero wheels so I can’t even see my calipers. I’m not even 100% sure I have any. 🤷‍♂️🤣

Really though, I thought this was all common knowledge by now. No?

Deleted member 6348

I have the PSCBs and love them. They keep the wheels clean. They look great. They help haul down the car authoritatively. I’ve got more than 15k miles on my Taycan and the pads are showing some wear. They’re definitely playing a role in slowing down the car.

I would totally spec them again.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I need PCCBs or PSCBs I think for my wheels. I prefer PCCBs.

Porsche Taycan Do you need the surface coated brakes? F1942629-4CB8-4983-8FE5-317B658481A5
Sponsored

Last edited: