Does the battery get heated up by default upon charging?

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I think I saw another poster who posted some really detailed data from charging (really sorry to whomever that was for forgetting your name - with every day being exactly the same, my memory is shot). It seemed that the battery does pull power from the mains to heat up the battery if it is very cold, up to a threshold, and then starts to use mains power to charge the battery (at which point any increase in temperature is just from the heat dissipation). So, that would explain the quick increase to 60F - would be interested to see whether that temp increase now slows down? Kingske's data was the really surprising one though, since it kept on heating to 24C/75F even though the SoC had not gone up by much which suggests continued pre-heating of the battery - I've just not been able to get my car to do that without a timer so far (or even with a timer, since I do not use them). I'm seriously hoping this is a new thing, as it would be a game changer for Winter weather.
Indeed. It would be great if this were a new feature. The 12.5C/55F temperature of my garage was not lower than usual and I have not noticed this battery-heating phenomenon before.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I was surprised too at the amount of battery temp increase for a relatively small increase in SOC at 24A instead of the 40A that I have at my other place in Georgia. The battery temp has increased another 2 degrees since my post. As mentioned by @daveo4EV the Taycan's battery thermal management system may be at play too to get the battery pack into a better temp range even for L2 charging.
Wien You start charging with the PMCC, you could check to see how much power gets into the battery, which is displayed in the car. And then check the power supplied by the PMCC. I think you should see a difference between the two values.

I have done this but with a preheating timer set, so not exactly the same scenario. I could see a difference of power into battery as well as power supplied by the PMCC and the difference was about 5 to 6 kW on a cold morning.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wien You start charging with the PMCC, you could check to see how much power gets into the battery, which is displayed in the car. And then check the power supplied by the PMCC. I think you should see a difference between the two values.

I have done this but with a preheating timer set, so not exactly the same scenario. I could see a difference of power into battery as well as power supplied by the PMCC and the difference was about 5 to 6 kW on a cold morning.
Good idea. Will do next.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed. It would be great if this were a new feature. The 12.5C/55F temperature of my garage was not lower than usual and I have not noticed this battery-heating phenomenon before.
But the outside temperature was much lower wasn’t it? The battery management takes this into account and probably acts upon that data. Here is a cut from the Porsche Technical description .

https://e-performance.io/en/article/taycan-battery

scroll down the page to see.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

You are correct. I checked a minute ago. The PMCC is at 5.72 kw, the car says 5.18 kw (I'm charging at 24A) The battery temp continues rise. It is now at 65F (20 degrees higher than the initial temp).

Porsche Taycan Does the battery get heated up by default upon charging? 2022-porsche-taycan-gts-sedan-and-gts-sport-turismo

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are correct. I checked a minute ago. The PMCC is at 5.72 kw, the car says 5.18 kw (I'm charging at 24A) The battery temp continues rise. It is now at 65F (20 degrees higher than the initial temp).
That difference is likely too small, and just shows the charging loss. About 10 % or so is quite normal. Since your battery now is nice and warm it probably heats up by waste heat rather than specific pre heating. . It would be very valuable if you checked this at the start of the charging session if it still is cold outside.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But the outside temperature was much lower wasn’t it? The battery management takes this into account and probably acts upon that data. Here is a cut from the Porsche Technical description .

https://e-performance.io/en/article/taycan-battery

scroll down the page to see.
Possibly. The Porsche document you linked to refers to "outside temperature" which may also be the temperature outside of the car (i.e. the garage temperature). The real under-the-sky-outside temperature was indeed markedly lower than before. Thanks for alerting us to this. On a related note: I checked the car again a minute ago - after it had been standing untethered overnight in a chilly 11.5C/53F garage - and the battery temperature of 13C/55F had nearly equilibrated with the garage temperature (see picture below). However, the projected range at 85% SoC was still 246 miles. The guess-o-meter seems to take the exterior temperature into account but not the battery temperature itself.
Porsche Taycan Does the battery get heated up by default upon charging? February16

MadsK

First Name
Mads
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think I saw another poster who posted some really detailed data from charging (really sorry to whomever that was for forgetting your name - with every day being exactly the same, my memory is shot). It seemed that the battery does pull power from the mains to heat up the battery if it is very cold, up to a threshold, and then starts to use mains power to charge the battery (at which point any increase in temperature is just from the heat dissipation). So, that would explain the quick increase to 60F - would be interested to see whether that temp increase now slows down? Kingske's data was the really surprising one though, since it kept on heating to 24C/75F even though the SoC had not gone up by much which suggests continued pre-heating of the battery - I've just not been able to get my car to do that without a timer so far (or even with a timer, since I do not use them). I'm seriously hoping this is a new thing, as it would be a game changer for Winter weather.
I have done research in the past about charging the battery at low temperatures. The measurements were made by charging with 3-phase 240V, which corresponds to approximately 6kW. These measurements showed that 100% of the current was used to heat the battery until the temperature had reached approx. 13C / 55.4F. Thereafter, 100% of the power was used exclusively for charging. The energy consumption to heat the battery approx. 13C / 55.4F was approx. 4kWt. (See the thread "Taycan 4S + Coldweather experience")
At the request of "Scandinavian" I have done the same test with a lower current, 1-phase 240V, which corresponds to approx. 2kW.
These measurements showed that 100% of the current was used to heat the battery until the temperature had reached approx. 12C / 53.6F. After this, approx. 0.5 kW to maintain the battery temperature of 12C / 53.6F while the rest was used for charging. I have attached the form from previous thread and have added Test 3 with the lower current.

Porsche Taycan Does the battery get heated up by default upon charging? IMG_0455.JPG

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
1) a message appeared on my iPhone that charging was completed whereas I was/am not aware that the Porsche Connect app on my phone was active
A lot of people have weighed in on the temperature question but I thought I'd respond to the notification part. I've seen this behavior myself a few times lately. My assumption is that the recent Feb 11 app update (v. 4.4) changed some default notification behavior. Like you, I've received notifications from Connect when charging has completed when I hadn't otherwise opened or used the app. At some point I'll poke around to see if I can turn it off, but it seems harmless enough.

Brent

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have done research in the past about charging the battery at low temperatures. The measurements were made by charging with 3-phase 240V, which corresponds to approximately 6kW. These measurements showed that 100% of the current was used to heat the battery until the temperature had reached approx. 13C / 55.4F. Thereafter, 100% of the power was used exclusively for charging. The energy consumption to heat the battery approx. 13C / 55.4F was approx. 4kWt. (See the thread "Taycan 4S + Coldweather experience")
At the request of "Scandinavian" I have done the same test with a lower current, 1-phase 240V, which corresponds to approx. 2kW.
These measurements showed that 100% of the current was used to heat the battery until the temperature had reached approx. 12C / 53.6F. After this, approx. 0.5 kW to maintain the battery temperature of 12C / 53.6F while the rest was used for charging. I have attached the form from previous thread and have added Test 3 with the lower current.

IMG_0455.JPG
Awesome data, thanks - sorry MadsK, should have remembered it was you who originally posted the info.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Awesome data, thanks - sorry MadsK, should have remembered it was you who originally posted the info.
It does seem though that Kingske and wemct are seeing slightly different behaviour with further power being used for heating of the battery post-13C/55F

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is the latest. Battery temp continues to increase (now 72F) at 79% SOC charging 5.24kw. Maybe by the time it finishes charging to 85% it will be at the ideal temperature for charging :like:.

Porsche Taycan Does the battery get heated up by default upon charging? 20210216_151126_resized

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is the latest. Battery temp continues to increase (now 72F) at 79% SOC charging 5.24kw. Maybe by the time it finishes charging to 85% it will be at the ideal temperature for charging :like:.

20210216_151126_resized.jpg
It seems to be following a very similar SoC-temperature trajectory.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The final battery temp at 85% SOC was 73F (original 45F). There is another thread discussing SOC going beyond 85% (or the set maximum) and charging to 100% if the charger cable is not disconnected within 30 minutes after the target SOC is reached on a TImer profile. I have used TImer profiles successfully without exceeding the target SOC 85%. However, I don't recall an occasion when I have pressed the solid green button and left the cable plugged in. When I press the green button it means I need to unplug because I'm about to go for a drive.

Today I was using a General profile with a target set at 85%. I decided to press the green button after the session completed, and to leave the car plugged in. I let it sit for more than 30 minutes. I'm happy to report that the car did not start charging again. So at least with the General profile the car will stop and maintain the target SOC.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today I was using a General profile with a target set at 85%. I decided to press the green button after the session completed, and to leave the car plugged in. I let it sit for more than 30 minutes. I'm happy to report that the car did not start charging again. So at least with the General profile the car will stop and maintain the target SOC.
If I remember correctly that statement of pressing the button after completed timer charge etc refers to the Good to Know app for 2021 model?? Might be possible that for 2021 models Porsche tried to address the 12 volt issue and introduced some new problems instead?? Hopefully not included in that promised SW update, whenever or if that ever arrives?

I have never pressed the button to take out the cable and then left it still connected. Can’t see why I would do anything like that?
Sponsored