Good on ya for thinking of that!
I wish I'd thought of it.

iamai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS
Country flag
The eclipse definitely looked good through the VLC roof! It was better than wearing those goofy glasses!
but frankly, i draw a line at a point where watching the partial eclipse is a pure happenstance versus people spending their resources to travel long distances just to see two celestial objects line-up in the sky. wtf is a big deal about that?

seriously, if you have money to waste on seeing an event in-person that you can perfectly well see on your computer screen countless of times, make a feel-good donation to a charity like the "human fund" instead.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
but frankly, i draw a line at a point where watching the partial eclipse is a pure happenstance versus people spending their resources to travel long distances just to see two celestial objects line-up in the sky. wtf is a big deal about that?
The big deal is the rarity of the event. Also, it’s kinda cool (literally) and eerie at the same time. (I’ve watched the previous one from my backyard.)

seriously, if you have money to waste on seeing an event in-person that you can perfectly well see on your computer screen countless of times, make a feel-good donation to a charity like the "human fund" instead.
I dunno, some people like to attend sport events/concerts/other “live” things in person. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Polar993

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 720s, Porsche 993, Alpina Z8, Ferrari 328,
Country flag

I didn't have to travel anywhere. Connecticut wasn't in the direct line of totality, but we got about 92% coverage. It was cool, and my kids liked it, but there's no way I would drive or fly anywhere to see that! Watching it in my backyard and through my VLC roof, was just fine.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
There is no substitute for being there... it's visceral in person, and the darkness was stunning, not withstanding the clouds...they just helped define the shadow.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I saw the last US eclipse in 2017. We planned a holiday around it and it was well worth it for the experience. I would travel to see one again but would plan a holiday around it that I also wanted to do. It is an amazing spectacle of nature and experiencing it is not quite the same as watching it on your screen. It is a bit like experiencing driving a Porsche vs driving it in a driving game on your PC when you really drive a Kia. The experience just isn't there. Or going on safari when you can see the animals in a safari park.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
I saw the last US eclipse in 2017. We planned a holiday around it and it was well worth it for the experience. I would travel to see one again but would plan a holiday around it that I also wanted to do. It is an amazing spectacle of nature and experiencing it is not quite the same as watching it on your screen. It is a bit like experiencing driving a Porsche vs driving it in a driving game on your PC when you really drive a Kia. The experience just isn't there. Or going on safari when you can see the animals in a safari park.
Perfect analogy.

The difference between 99% coverage and totality is astounding. After witnessing the 2017 eclipse, we made plans for 2024.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I didn't see this year's, but I travelled to see the last one in the US a few years ago.

Seeing it in totality is completely worth it and merits the time and money to travel (assuming you can afford to do so). The biggest surprise to me was the sudden temperature drop and pick up in winds. I was not expecting that, and it was indeed strange to experience . . .