JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
Have you been arriving with < 15% SoC? With battery saving fast charging off? From a charger you selected in the GPS from the chargers tab?
Yes to all three questions!
Sponsored

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Wow I have never seen anything higher than 140kw over the past year that I have owned my car.
Are you sure you are correctly setting the navigation to preheat the battery ?
It will not preheat if you just enter the fast charger as a destination. You need to enter it as a stop to another destination and you need to make sure the car understands it is a charging stop.
You can double-check this in the 'route planner' overview. It should be in the list as a charging stop.

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Are you sure you are correctly setting the navigation to preheat the battery ?
It will not preheat if you just enter the fast charger as a destination. You need to enter it as a stop to another destination and you need to make sure the car understands it is a charging stop.
You can double-check this in the 'route planner' overview. It should be in the list as a charging stop.
Interesting…… I’ve been on this forum for several months and have read most of the threads (certainly 95+ % of new ones since last Spring) and I think this is the first time I’ve seen that pointed out. Obviously I could have missed it or simply just don’t remember but I think the fact that the charger needs to be a stop for preheat and not just a destination is pretty significant. Thank you @ben1 for pointing that out……. Even if it’s already been said 😉😂

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Interesting…… I’ve been on this forum for several months and have read most of the threads (certainly 95+ % of new ones since last Spring) and I think this is the first time I’ve seen that pointed out. Obviously I could have missed it or simply just don’t remember but I think the fact that the charger needs to be a stop for preheat and not just a destination is pretty significant. Thank you @ben1 for pointing that out……. Even if it’s already been said 😉😂
That was my understanding of how it worked. Feel free to correct me.

I certainly saw it working doing it like I described above. With outside temperatures of 0 to 10 degrees, the battery temperature goes up from about 20 degrees to 35 degrees about 25 minutes before reaching the fast charger.

If you arrive at the fast charger with battery temperatures below 30 degrees, you did something wrong.

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
That was my understanding of how it worked. Feel free to correct me.

I certainly saw it working doing it like I described above. With outside temperatures of 0 to 10 degrees, the battery temperature goes up from about 20 degrees to 35 degrees about 25 minutes before reaching the fast charger.

If you arrive at the fast charger with battery temperatures below 30 degrees, you did something wrong.
Unfortunately I don’t yet have a Taycan to test this out so no reason to doubt you 😉
In addition to that @DerekS is a long time veteran on this forum with tons of experience and he gave your post a 👍🏻 In my experience on here if you were wrong Derek would have respectfully corrected you. Lol 😊

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes to all three questions!
I'd try a different charger then. Sometimes these things are messed up, even on the 350kW units.

I once had a 350kW unit giving me less than 10kW! Needless to say I switched to a better-working unit, 150kW but better than that.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd try a different charger then. Sometimes these things are messed up, even on the 350kW units.

I once had a 350kW unit giving me less than 10kW! Needless to say I switched to a better-working unit, 150kW but better than that.
Agreed, these things are not what they say! Yesterday I went to a 350kw charger with 13% and I sat for 20 mins and the highest it got to was 38kw. I unplugged and went to another station and was getting 140ishkw. Nevertheless in my area I have never gotten above 160ish.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Agreed, these things are not what they say! Yesterday I went to a 350kw charger with 13% and I sat for 20 mins and the highest it got to was 38kw. I unplugged and went to another station and was getting 140ishkw. Nevertheless in my area I have never gotten above 160ish.
Has your Porsche dealer installed their fast DC chargers?

I would take it there at low SoC. If it's not delivering ~260kW or a little more I'd bring the tech out and point to it and say "WTF?"

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has your Porsche dealer installed their fast DC chargers?

I would take it there at low SoC. If it's not delivering ~260kW or a little more I'd bring the tech out and point to it and say "WTF?"
No they only have a 220v charger like the kind I have at home.

Next time I bring the car in I will ask them to look into it.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I observed pretty good rates at my stealership.

IMG_0774.jpeg
My dealer has been under construction since I ordered my car. They have been sharing an Audi dealership so they do not have any high speed chargers. Hopefully when they open the new dealership they will have one and we can both check the charging rates.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This can’t be simply a battery temp issue. It’s also a power source and load sharing issue. I’ve hit chargers in low SOC and the battery temp up and still got relatively slow charging. I’ve also noted that I get basically the same charge rate each time I use a given charger and other people charging there were getting the same rates from those chargers. At the Walmart in Santa Clarita EA station, there are three chargers that each give a certain rate, the lowest 28, the highest about 80. Other folks charging there confirmed the same experience.

I also actually got a message on the PCM once mid charge that said something to the effect of “power reduced due to load management of charging infrastructure.” It’s not a car/battery issue.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I observed pretty good rates at my stealership.

IMG_0774.jpeg
My dealer installed this exact kind but they know very little about it. My SA confirmed that this is mandated by Porsche but no one has yet to use it. My question would be if it shows on My Porsche App (not showing it for me in My Porsche App using charge station view in the map) or any other app with kW label and if it is busy or not. I wonder if you can confirm for your dealer's charger, Derek, if it shows it for you and if there is available/busy status.

Last edited: