Welcome to Normal Depreciation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C63s, Amarok, Leon PHEV
Country flag
Yep. I think this recent mad depreciation will level out and even bounce back a bit. Good time to buy 2nd hand
Im looking to buy second hand but I still think they have a long way to drop.

I’ve been watching 12 cars on AT for over a month just to see what the market was like. None sold all have reduced heavily.

99% of people who bought a Taycan are male, over 35 and buying/leasing through a business.

Second hand buyers have so many cars choose from and again I would think most are older males. Buying with their own money rather than leasing, which really limits the market.

big, high end saloons always depreciate heavily. EV aspect only makes this worse.
Sponsored

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
99% of people who bought a Taycan are male, over 35 and buying/leasing through a business.

Second hand buyers have so many cars choose from and again I would think most are older males. Buying with their own money rather than leasing, which really limits the market.
Where do you get this data from?

You should of course wait until you feel the time is right, but be aware that the EV market will be in a state of "rapid-change" for several years to come. If you aren't comfortable with that then come back in 2025.

Personally, I knew that's what I was signing up for and have no regrets. My Taycan 4s is the best car I've ever owned, hands down. Give me a NACS plug adapter and a reliable US high-speed charging network and I'm a very happy camper for years to come.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C63s, Amarok, Leon PHEV
Country flag

You should of course wait until you feel the time is right, but be aware that the EV market will be in a state of "rapid-change" for several years to come. If you aren't comfortable with that then come back in 2025.

Personally, I knew that's what I was signing up for and have no regrets. My Taycan 4s is the best car I've ever owned, hands down. Give me a NACS plug adapter and a reliable US high-speed charging network and I'm a very happy camper for years to come.
it’s a big, expensive 4 door saloon. Buyer demographic is obvious.

An electric 911, boxster or Macan would have made much more sense as Porsches first EV, as they have a wider target market.

Im not even a EV fan. I haven’t been looking at cars as I’ve been expecting a driving ban for the past 6 months, but thankfully it never happened.

I thought my next car would be M3 Awd but Taycan Turbos are such good value now and the M3 hasn’t dropped a penny in the last 6 months.

I really like the Taycan but will wait until December/January to buy one.

I don’t do many miles now so range isn’t an issue, and I love the car generally.

Bonus is my GF won’t want to drive it all the time. Taycan is a really big car on U.K. roads and car parks.

I don’t think the EV market will change that much over the next few years. Battery technology is mature with no real new breakthroughs.

I honestly think hydrogen will win the battle long term. That market is growing fast in Asia.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
There are couple complications when it comes to the depreciation topic:
1- Depreciation in the UK seems to be very unique and specific to that market because of massive Tax incentives for businesses. Business buyers bought a lot of Taycans and now flooding the market with their used ones to get new ones with new tax credits.
2- Depreciation experience in the US will be different for everyone and there are interesting dynamics here. Taycan saw 2 price increases and disappearance of the $7,500 tax credit within last 18 months. That adds up to ~$20K since I bought mine and my timing was not necessarily the best. If I bought a year earlier, I could get a hefty discount over MSRP as well. So a lot of MY20/21 cars we see on dealer lots today were sold well below MSRP in the first place. Remember when Taycan first came out, it looked like it would be a flop in the US, with ridiculous EPA range vs Tesla and it was questionable if an electric porsche made sense. If you are one of the first owners, bought your car 10% below MSRP 3 years ago, got another $7500 tax incentive on top, drove it 3 years and today dealer offered you 40% below original MSRP, you will do the math and will likely let it go with not much haggling. (Because from your perspective it will represent 20-25% discount over 3 years which is super reasonable). Now if the same dealer turned around and put that vehicle for sale, you look at the price, it will look like a 45-50% discount over the new increased MSRP. Which is the main source of this panic. There is a demand-supply dynamic here in US that will settle over time. Because once the bulk of low cost entry MY20/21 original owners are depleted, newer model year owners wont be as willing to let go their cars to dealers at similar discounts (some will simply decide to drive their cars longer instead). That will have a balancing effect in the US.

Bottom line i don't necessarily buy the theories around "oh it is an EV so that's why" etc. There is a very unique history here since this vehicle was introduced.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

An electric 911, boxster or Macan would have made much more sense as Porsches first EV, as they have a wider target market.

Im not even a EV fan. I haven’t been looking at cars as I’ve been expecting a driving ban for the past 6 months, but thankfully it never happened.

I thought my next car would be M3 Awd but Taycan Turbos are such good value now and the M3 hasn’t dropped a penny in the last 6 months.

I really like the Taycan but will wait until December/January to buy one.

I don’t do many miles now so range isn’t an issue, and I love the car generally.

Bonus is my GF won’t want to drive it all the time. Taycan is a really big car on U.K. roads and car parks.

I don’t think the EV market will change that much over the next few years. Battery technology is mature with no real new breakthroughs.

I honestly think hydrogen will win the battle long term. That market is growing fast in Asia.
No offense, but you don't sound like a good buyer for the Taycan. You're "not an EV fan", too large for your GF, and based on your posts you don't sound like someone who will easily tolerate the inevitable hiccups of Porsche's first generation EV platform.

Instead I recommend you buy a new Tesla if you want to experience the EV world. Nothing wrong with a new Model Y at £57,945 (down from £64,025). A 2021 MY Taycan with ~20,000 miles starts at £68,459 and they just go up from there depending on trim, mileage, and options.

Of course waiting for hydrogen is another valid option. No reason not to simply buy a used ICE Porsche and enjoy the hell out of it - lot's of options under £60,000 for fun on 4 wheels.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I’m sorry, wut? Porsche sells way more four door saloons than it does 911s or Boxsters.

They did the Taycan first because they needed a forward looking concept car to capture the attention of the market, followed by the pedestrian Macan. They wouldn’t have gotten any buzz or positive brand recognition if the first EV they made was the cheapest vehicle they sell, one that most Porschephiles look down their nose at.

And there was ZERO chance Porsche’s first electric car was going to be the 911 platform. Are you new to the brand?

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

I’m sorry, wut? Porsche sells way more four door saloons than it does 911s or Boxsters.

They did the Taycan first because they needed a forward looking concept car to capture the attention of the market, followed by the pedestrian Macan. They wouldn’t have gotten any buzz or positive brand recognition if the first EV they made was the cheapest vehicle they sell, one that most Porschephiles look down their nose at.

And there was ZERO chance Porsche’s first electric car was going to be the 911 platform. Are you new to the brand?
Macan isn't a real Porsche except by name and exterior design features - it certainly doesn't have any of the driving characteristics that people who have a real appreciation for the brand expect.

Was given one as a loaner for a week and couldn't wait to get my Taycan back. Haven't tested the Cayenne but from what I understand it's a big step up, especially the higher trims.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Gosh- I really wish I could find these amazing deals on used Taycans here in the US. Maybe its cause I'm looking for Cross Turismos, but it looks like you get very little discount off original sticker here. Look at this car- pretty bland color combo, no adaptive cruise control and the dealer is asking nearly the original sticker for a car with 19k miles:
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/porsche-taycan-4-cross-turismo-preowned-GRR3R4

Just an example but indicative of what i'm seeing.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Gosh- I really wish I could find these amazing deals on used Taycans here in the US. Maybe its cause I'm looking for Cross Turismos, but it looks like you get very little discount off original sticker here. Look at this car- pretty bland color combo, no adaptive cruise control and the dealer is asking nearly the original sticker for a car with 19k miles:
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/porsche-taycan-4-cross-turismo-preowned-GRR3R4

The base CT seems to be holding value quite well compared to the sedans.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
^ I’ve been seeing the same thing for used 4CT. Might be starting to change a bit though, as I’ve been receiving lots of price drop email alerts from my Autotrader saved cars. But dealer retail used prices sure don’t reflect much of a discount on average off of MSRP, despite all the complaints about low wholesale resale value offers received from dealers. Then the few people who try selling the 4CT privately set asking prices at nearly dealer retail values, and also usually don’t post the build sheet.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

What the dealers are asking vs. what they are getting may be different. Remember, this is not Tesla direct model, this is a dealer model where everything is negotiable. I recently picked up an eTron for my wife. 4-5 months ago they didn't have any, were asking for $5K markup for anything incoming or allocations. Now they have inventory but still post +$5K ADM on the window sticker for new cars, however it was very quick to bring the negotiation to MSRP and below. Of course, they still tried every trick in the book, like forced products, jacked up interest rates, forgetting to include in the paperwork the factory incentives we talked about, etc, etc, but that's sadly expected from most dealers in my area. The key is be informed about all available incentives, prices, interest rates, market availability of the product, and then pay attention to the paperwork like a Hawk, to pick out any crap they sneak in. I even learned a new trick, where they estimate a monthly payment by ~$100 more in the initial negotiation, then claim "oh, oh, the computer must be messed up, because your monthly payment is now $100 less, lucky you", then proceed to sell you more upsells with "your payment is already $100 less a month than you thought, so why not pay $30 a month for this _insert_upsell_here_". They tried this script on me even though I told them right away "no worries, let's print out all the numbers, I can help you find if the computer made a mistake anywhere, I don't want to rip you off because of a computer error" - spoiler alert, all the numbers added up just fine, no computer error.

Also, worth mentioning, sometimes for better deals you might have to go outside of large loaded hubs like the Bay Area or Seattle area, where there are a lot of loaded customers who are easily taken advantage of. I've lived around here for a couple of decades now, bought a bunch of cars, seen all kinds of tricks, including hiding inventory trying to push cars which don't sell first, only admitting to the inventory once I chose to walk away - "oh wait, I just saw the car you wanted just became available because the buyer's financing fell through, let me go get it" then comes back with it 5 minutes later - it was somewhere in some backup lot.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Manager said he could knock $100 off…
Sweet!
I hope though that the VIN is legible on the fax to the financial services subsidiary.

In all seriousness, amazing that dealers pull the same old bs instead of switching gears upon realizing that they're selling to an informed intelligent buyer like whitex, especially for Audi purchasers like him and his wife.
But then again, unless you're buying something truly exotic like a Lambo, that dealer for Porsche, Audi, MB, BMW, etc. is part of the same regional (or even national) chain that includes something like Kia, so they're reading from the same playbook, even if you're paying 2x or 3x or whatever times the price of a mainstream car.
(Fortunately, my four most recent purchases have been straightforward: BMW at MSRP this year, Audi at MSRP last year, Arteon at crazy discount in 2019 immediately when it debuted since the VW general sales manager realized that the MSRP was way above the market-clearing price, and Subaru in 2019 at a huge discount through an affiliate discount. Still though, I find myself looking longingly at the Tesla website ... easy purchase process ... extensive and functional DCFC network ... excellent drivetrain ... slick firmware ... and everything else either mediocre or shockingly bad, especially for the price.)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The base CT seems to be holding value quite well compared to the sedans.
Base CT have many factors preserving their values:
  1. Base models always depreciate the lest (% wise) as long as they are not overloaded with options
  2. CT trim is only 2 years old, and it was introduced during COVID where there were severe shortages, so there are way less of them available, leading to limited supply and therefore higher prices
  3. CT allocations were much more limited than sedans when it was introduced, not sure why that was, but it further adds to limited supply. Not sure what the CT/sedan allocation distribution is today.
  4. CTs are all AWD and therefore the least expensive practical all-seasons daily driver from the Taycan range
Some of the above factors will diminish over time, as more older models hit the used market, but I still see the base CT being the best value Taycan, of all the trims and body styles.
Sponsored

Last edited: