Four New IONITY Sites Begin Construction In UK

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
After what seems like a long gap (around six months), construction has begun on four new sites for IONITY in the UK.

Porsche Taycan Four New IONITY Sites Begin Construction In UK Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 10.18.54

"Singing Kettle" is on the North Wales coast on the A55 near Prestatyn.

The one that I think is a big help on a personal level is Leicester, which will help ease the Milton Keynes site which I find to be busy when heading north up the M1. This will be located in the Hilton car park just off junction 21.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChrisM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S, Polestar 2
Country flag
After what seems like a long gap (around six months), construction has begun on four new sites for IONITY in the UK.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 10.18.54.png

The one that I think is a big help on a personal level is Leicester, which will help ease the Milton Keynes site which I find to be busy when heading north up the M1. This will be located in the Hilton car park just off junction 21.
Do we know when the Leicester one will open as that will be very helpful when driving up the M1 ?

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag

OP
OP
Throb

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Do we know when the Leicester one will open as that will be very helpful when driving up the M1 ?
I don't know, but as someone has answered subsequently, the UK seems to average around 200 days!

It would be great if someone local to Leicester could let us know when it's opened. The IONITY website may not always be up to date.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 10.18.54.png

The Leicester one will also help me. I’ll look out for you peeling off the M1 and cut you off so i don’t have to queue (like i inadvertently did to a poor Audi Q4 driver at MK) 😂

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
I wonder whether Ionity will make these a decent capacity. All the UK ones I’ve visited are undersized. Tons of manufacturers are now giving cards with discounts on Ionity, but if there are only four stalls this is useless in busy times. Sites like Cobham (M25), Milton Keynes (M1) and Gretna Green should have been designed with 12-20 stalls (like a medium sized Tesla supercharger) not four.
Until we get rid of queuing, EV takeup will remain problematic in the UK.

Of course it would also help if Ionity put some effort into education and/or technical controls to discourage people from charging over 80% in busy times (as Tesla does) and to get people whose charging is limited to 50kW off the 350kW chargers.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I wonder whether Ionity will make these a decent capacity. All the UK ones I’ve visited are undersized.
IONITY have said that 6-pedestal stations is their new minimum when building out new locations. I notice that here in Ireland they have some planning permissions in for both six and twelve pedestal stations.

So for sure in UK with uptick in EV adoption – you'll see these locations do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they go for a minimum of eight.

They are going with 18 bay stations in Italy!

Porsche Taycan Four New IONITY Sites Begin Construction In UK 1101544

Last edited:

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Excellent news for wee Northern Ireland who has been lagging well behind everyone else (including N. Wales ;)) by some margin.

There's been a bit of thought put into the siting as well with traffic coming into and out of Belfast from the South being served by the Kennedy Centre. The Toome site is a definite win for those travelling between Belfast and Derry/Londonderry.

Good news for a change.

'..........IONITY plans to invest £3 million by opening two new high-power stations - one at the Kennedy Centre in Belfast and the other at Toome service station.

Kennedy Centre will open with six 350kW HPC chargers and later extend to 11 chargers, while at Toome there will be 12 HPC chargers from the beginning.

And IONITY, one of the few networks currently operating 350kW ultra-rapid chargers, plans to expand both sites to 18 chargers in the future.

At those speeds, the latest electric cars like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 can recharge their batteries from 10 to 80 per cent in less than 18 minutes.

The IONITY network (www.ionity.eu) had previously charged a flat fee of £8 for all charging sessions, regardless of how much electricity drivers consumed.

But as of June, customers without contracts have been charged a rate at 74p per kWh, though those who access the network through manufacturer contracts from the likes of Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Porsche get a cheaper rate.
'

jonjon808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
From memory, the Ionity at Magor had six stalls fitted, but markings on the parking and space for at least the same again, so it wouldn't surprise me if they put in an initial capacity of the same and then grow easily if they need to.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
The other big problem with Ionity is, so often, they are only kicking out 100kw instead of 350
Leeds and Cullompton are always <100 in my experience

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
The other big problem with Ionity is, so often, they are only kicking out 100kw instead of 350
Leeds and Cullompton are always <100 in my experience
Cullompton ones are always on the fritz… I’ve had two free (slower) charges there as a result.

What i don’t get is that IONITY is a collaboration with German cars and yet BMW get 28p rates.