W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the quick response. My SMUD peak during the winter is between 5-8PM, so I only want to charge between 801pm and 459pm. How would you enter that into the profile?
Set profile 1 preferred window to 20:00 (8 pm) to midnight 00:00

Set profile 2 preferred window 00:00 to 17:00 (5pm)

Set a daily timer for 17:00 to end the session.

2 active profiles and 1 timer.

Profiles work within a single 24hr period and not across two.

You could make it simpler and have a single profile from 00:00 to 17:00 and add the 17:00 timer. More than enough time to charge from 25% SOC to 85%.
Sponsored

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
This thread has been a great read. I have read it whilst at the same time using the PCM simulator which I recommend so that all comments can be worked through. In summary however, there appears to be two approaches.

If you don't have lower electricity rates during the night, don't bother with Timers, just use a Profile with a high 'minimum' and select 'Optimised Charging'.

If you want to take advantage of lower electricity rates during the night, you need to complicate things with Timers (although, by using the simulator it all makes more sense).

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I like/second @W1NGE suggestion for 2 profiles, as I suspect OP found a bug in their scheduling logic. It wouldn’t have been a stretch for Porsche to assume the intent of 8pm to (next day) 5pm if the end time is lower than start time, but ok..

Still, this should work even with a ‘reversed’ profile and just a timer; OP, did you actually try your settings (and it didn’t work), or were you looking for confirmation?

Another thought is whether the weekdays were actually enabled in the timer? I’m using ‘dark’ mode in my app, and the ‘selected’ color is white-on-black. Not sure if in your case black-on-white means ‘selected’ or not.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This thread has been a great read. I have read it whilst at the same time using the PCM simulator which I recommend so that all comments can be worked through. In summary however, there appears to be two approaches.

If you don't have lower electricity rates during the night, don't bother with Timers, just use a Profile with a high 'minimum' and select 'Optimised Charging'.

If you want to take advantage of lower electricity rates during the night, you need to complicate things with Timers (although, by using the simulator it all makes more sense).
I have to use a timer to prevent charging straight-away and to control the end time - same with new car. Profiles on their own will not work as intended. Profile preferred times makes no difference without the timer. Optimised charging is irrelevant if you don't have alternative sources of power e.g. solar.

C4sxm5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
720s
Country flag
Set profile 1 preferred window to 20:00 (8 pm) to midnight 00:00

Set profile 2 preferred window 00:00 to 17:00 (5pm)

Set a daily timer for 17:00 to end the session.

2 active profiles and 1 timer.

Profiles work within a single 24hr period and not across two.

You could make it simpler and have a single profile from 00:00 to 17:00 and add the 17:00 timer. More than enough time to charge from 25% SOC to 85%.
Still isn’t working as intended. Can you confirm that my settings are as suggested? If so, why isn’t it charging as soon as I’m plugged in?

Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 2E959E8B-3480-412C-B4E7-F6EE909E4B0A
Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 15C8AC02-07C6-487D-B124-6C7076D895A7

Plugged in at 8pm and was hoping it would start charging right at 815pm. Based on the details below it looks like the car won’t charge until around 3pm to get 85% at 5pm
Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 439240AC-7C2E-43F8-BD48-0E47982141DD

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It seems to be working correctly? You’re at 70% currently (over the profile’s min of 25), and there’s loads of time to reach 85 by your designated -departure- time.

A timer is a countdown clock (“ready by this time”). Also, try searching - lots of threads on this topic.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Timers conflict with smart charging apps via Energy Manager API. Only use timers if you “dumb” charge without an Energy Manager. Then put the “minimum” SoC in the profile on 85% enable smart charging and you’re golden.

eddieterry

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911Turbo, Taycan CT Turbo 2023.
Country flag
I have to use a timer to prevent charging straight-away and to control the end time - same with new car. Profiles on their own will not work as intended. Profile preferred times makes no difference without the timer. Optimised charging is irrelevant if you don't have alternative sources of power e.g. solar.
Yes but if you just want to simply charge to say 80% and then stop. If you click on the optimised box it will work perfectly if you don’t it will go to 100% or that is how the SA explained it and this works perfectly for me as I don’t need timers etc except when going on a trip.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Still isn’t working as intended. Can you confirm that my settings are as suggested? If so, why isn’t it charging as soon as I’m plugged in?

2E959E8B-3480-412C-B4E7-F6EE909E4B0A.jpeg
15C8AC02-07C6-487D-B124-6C7076D895A7.png

Plugged in at 8pm and was hoping it would start charging right at 815pm. Based on the details below it looks like the car won’t charge until around 3pm to get 85% at 5pm
439240AC-7C2E-43F8-BD48-0E47982141DD.png
1. Assuming your battery SOC at the start of the charging session was as indicated (70%) then you should not expect charging to occur straight-away as you already have 45% more charge than the minimum you have selected.

2. Charging should start some time prior to 5:00pm - only 15% charge to add to the battery and so the car calculates backwards from your target departure time.

3. Not clear if your car charged to 85% by 5:00pm - did it?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes but if you just want to simply charge to say 80% and then stop. If you click on the optimised box it will work perfectly if you don’t it will go to 100% or that is how the SA explained it and this works perfectly for me as I don’t need timers etc except when going on a trip.
I've been using Timers and Profiles for 2.5 yrs on 2 separate Taycans and understand 100% how this works.

There is a clear explanation of what Optimised Charging means (your SA could benefit from reading it). It is intended to be used with mixed power sources and ideally linked to a HEM.

Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 1679902942785

Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 1679903031649

The only way to control the start and end time (or departure time) and to create a time period within which you want the process to begin and end is to use a Timer.

Without a Timer in play your car will start to charge immediately which for most people this is neither expected nor what they require.

I've tried on both my old car and new one using a profile on its own and in both cases the minimum charge level is ignored and the car starts to charge immediately. Fine if this is what you want but pointless for my use case.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
When on variable rate the timer is set by the energy manager via the API, the app timer then conflicts and nothing happens.

example: today I want to charge between 12:00 and 14:00, the timers would need to be set manually on the app, without the app, the energy manager sets the time via the API (note how it sets 15:00 for the Mini? As this is a hybrid and will be full within the hour. It’s that smart!)
screenshot is from Countryman, as currently my wife is charging, but Taycan works exactly the same. The only thing that Porsche should do is to seperate the charge cap from the timers.
so you can just set a max SoC of 85% which then always is a hard stop, unless overridden by direct charging.

Porsche Taycan General profile v timer F30DEC6C-B5F2-4C6B-B159-437CC35A0D8C

Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 56B563C8-F785-4636-94EC-E3BF8EAF8485

Last edited:

eddieterry

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911Turbo, Taycan CT Turbo 2023.
Country flag
I've been using Timers and Profiles for 2.5 yrs on 2 separate Taycans and understand 100% how this works.

There is a clear explanation of what Optimised Charging means (your SA could benefit from reading it). It is intended to be used with mixed power sources and ideally linked to a HEM.

1679902942785.png

1679903031649.png

The only way to control the start and end time (or departure time) and to create a time period within which you want the process to begin and end is to use a Timer.

Without a Timer in play your car will start to charge immediately which for most people this is neither expected nor what they require.

I've tried on both my old car and new one using a profile on its own and in both cases the minimum charge level is ignored and the car starts to charge immediately. Fine if this is what you want but pointless for my use case.
Yes the SA explained that exactly as you have but also explained that for someone such as myself who just wants to charge immediately to 80% and then stop the work around is to leave optimised charging ticked and it will work perfectly. Just useful for people who want that to know.

C4sxm5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
720s
Country flag
1. Assuming your battery SOC at the start of the charging session was as indicated (70%) then you should not expect charging to occur straight-away as you already have 45% more charge than the minimum you have selected.

2. Charging should start some time prior to 5:00pm - only 15% charge to add to the battery and so the car calculates backwards from your target departure time.

3. Not clear if your car charged to 85% by 5:00pm - did it?
Sorry I didn’t want to wait until 5pm to see if it was going to hit the 85% as I leave for the day around 8am, but am sure it would have.

I was trying to set it up so the car would charge as soon as it’s plugged in within the 8pm-5pm off peak timeframe and turn off at 85%. Is there a way to do that? I tried changing the minimum from 25% to 85% and it worked but it overrode the timers and charged during peak.

As of now I changed the departure time to 5am but it still isn’t ideal. Would like it like the Tesla where it’s starts i soon as you plug it in and not during the excluding peak times set.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry I didn’t want to wait until 5pm to see if it was going to hit the 85% as I leave for the day around 8am, but am sure it would have.

I was trying to set it up so the car would charge as soon as it’s plugged in within the 8pm-5pm off peak timeframe and turn off at 85%. Is there a way to do that? I tried changing the minimum from 25% to 85% and it worked but it overrode the timers and charged during peak.

As of now I changed the departure time to 5am but it still isn’t ideal. Would like it like the Tesla where it’s starts i soon as you plug it in and not during the excluding peak times set.
I think you're making this unnecessarily complicated.

If you depart by 8am and your off peak period is 8pm through to 5pm the following day then simply set a departure timer for 07:30. The car will then charge within that window.

Remember that the car calculates how long it needs to charge based on the battery SOC at the start of the session and the set departure time. If only 2 hrs are needed to charge to your target of 85% then the chsrging session won't commence until 05:30am.

Leave your minimum at 25% and set the timer and preferred window as indicated

C4sxm5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
720s
Country flag
I think you're making this unnecessarily complicated.

If you depart by 8am and your off peak period is 8pm through to 5pm the following day then simply set a departure timer for 07:30. The car will then charge within that window.

Remember that the car calculates how long it needs to charge based on the battery SOC at the start of the session and the set departure time. If only 2 hrs are needed to charge to your target of 85% then the chsrging session won't commence until 05:30am.

Leave your minimum at 25% and set the timer and preferred window as indicated
Yeah I figured that. Issue is I use the charger to also charge the Mrs Tesla and would prefer to have one fully charged so I can move to the other after.

when we both had Teslas I would charge mine first and move the charger to her vehicle before bed so both cars would be full by the am.
Sponsored