Got pulled over today…

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I live in in Virginia. We require safety inspections in addition to emissions inspections. When I tried to get my first Tesla inspected they had to call the state because there was no way to enter ”0” cylinders or mark the car as electric. In the end they submitted BS data to get the inspection done and give me a sticker. It was fixed the next year (2013?).
Damn, I wonder how cars with rotary engines were handled with that limitation!
Sponsored

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In California you can now, for $85, purchase a license plate wrap, the wrap is the size of the plate, but is put on the front like a wrap (easily removed). I haven't had a front plate on a car ever, the more troubling thing in LA, is if you get a parking ticket, the meter dudes/dudettes give you an added ticket for no plate. Not a fix it ticket, just an extra charge since they have to walk to the back of the car to write the ticket.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I hate to top you but the taycan effect plus a clean driving record got me a warning for 95 in a 45, I am installing countermeasures.
What sort of person drives at 95mph in a 45mph zone?

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Here's a supposedly true story I heard a few years ago: A guy was speeding in his new Corvette down Interstate 5 in central California at night in the middle of nowhere, and he passed a police vehicle before he knew it. The police officer pulled him over.

The officer, who was driving one of the new Ford Mustangs recently acquired by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), told the guy his Mustang had never been tested.

"Could you race me?" asked the officer. Both would meet up at the next exit a couple of miles down the road.

Both take off and the Corvette blows past the Mustang. At the exit ramp, the officer said he had to slow down because his back end was shaking. Both went their separate ways, no ticket.

Three weeks later, an officer in another new Mustang was chasing robbers that were speeding northbound out of the Los Angeles area. The Mustang became unstable and wrecked (I don't know what happened to the officer), so the CHP had to install improved suspensions in their new Mustangs.

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
What sort of person drives at 95mph in a 45mph zone?
Pretty sure it’s an instant ban or even jail time if you get caught doing 50mph over the limit in the UK. Although if it’s the police pulling you over (rather than getting caught on camera) maybe you can still charm your way out of it

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
I have the Sto n Sho removable plate that mounts beneath the front spoiler, left or right of center. I put it on for driving around town, take it off for cleaning / longer road-trips. Lots of good discussion about front plate solutions here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/dealing-with-the-front-license-plate.757/
I have this too. Took 5 minutes to install and works like a charm. Only ever actually bothered to put the plate in once but great for parking up in the city and avoiding any chance of a ticket.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
After years of not having a front plate, I ended up installing one on my Taycan because I had to use a plate mounted EZ-Pass. Between the insulated glass and tint on the windshield I couldn’t get the windshield version to work. I even tried mounting one inside the bumper.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
After years of not having a front plate, I ended up installing one on my Taycan because I had to use a plate mounted EZ-Pass. Between the insulated glass and tint on the windshield I couldn’t get the windshield version to work. I even tried mounting one inside the bumper.
I took the front center plastic piece off, drilled a couple of holes, slid a couple of galvanized bolts through, and secured them with double nuts and washers. For the finish touches, I painted the galvanized bolts black so you can't even see them. Popped the plastic piece back on, and not only it worked under the toll scanners, but with my subdivision scanner too, which is a much weaker scanner.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I took the front center plastic piece off, drilled a couple of holes, slid a couple of galvanized bolts through, and secured them with double nuts and washers. For the finish touches, I painted the galvanized bolts black so you can't even see them. Popped the plastic piece back on, and not only it worked under the toll scanners, but with my subdivision scanner too, which is a much weaker scanner.
Do you have a picture? I’m having a difficult time visualizing what you’re describing.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do you have a picture? I’m having a difficult time visualizing what you’re describing.
In this picture, you see the black EZ bar, and it's attached to the black plastic center piece. If you zoom in you can see the galvanized bolt that's painted black. That plastic center piece was the piece I popped off to drill the holes. Hope that's clearer. I did it this way on my 911 as well, and it's on there for 8 years now.

Porsche Taycan Got pulled over today… IMG_6824

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In this picture, you see the black EZ bar, and it's attached to the black plastic center piece. If you zoom in you can see the galvanized bolt that's painted black. That plastic center piece was the piece I popped off to drill the holes. Hope that's clearer. I did it this way on my 911 as well, and it's on there for 8 years now.

IMG_6824.jpg
Got it. Thanks. Unfortunately that’s where my laser “interference” detector is located. :)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Pretty sure it’s an instant ban or even jail time if you get caught doing 50mph over the limit in the UK. Although if it’s the police pulling you over (rather than getting caught on camera) maybe you can still charm your way out of it
that's the UK for you, here in the US things are different.