Help me understand why would I want to order the 19.2 kW charger

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I think for my needs at home I would probably not really need more than the 48A / 11 kW max rate of the standard charger. Is there any compelling reason to order the 19.2 kW charger? The SA recommended it but there wasn’t a reason given.

Are there really L2 destination chargers in CA and western US that actually provide more than that? Seems the Tesla Universal charger soon to be installed at the Hilton chain has the 48A max, matching the Tesla EVs max charge rate. Do you think with the influx of heavy trucks into the EV segment that L2 charger rates might increase?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I think for my needs at home I would probably not really need more than the 48A / 11 kW max rate of the standard charger. Is there any compelling reason to order the 19.2 kW charger?
There are reasons, but it sounds like it’s not for you. If you don’t have a use case, I wouldn’t order it.

There are not many 19.2kW EVSE out in the wild. I wouldn’t worry about that.

In the US, it’s for home use and I don’t see things moving in a different direction.

That’s not to say it’s a bad option. It’s not. I have it and would order it again. But I wouldn’t order it unless you know a reason you need or want it.

There are a bunch of threads that already hash this topic out.

OP
OP
bluesky

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Thanks, I found this quote in one of those threads to be helpful: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ard-charger-worth-it.16735/page-2#post-257341

Basically it’s unlikely to be helpful for charging away from home, so really just for home use for faster charging. OK, something to look into. I’m installing a PV panel system, so the main and garage panels will need to be upgraded anyway, along with the utility tap since we’ll be sending excess generation to the utility company. So I already plan to hardwire whatever EVSE I get, and may have some choice about what breaker to put on that line.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I think for my needs at home I would probably not really need more than the 48A / 11 kW max rate of the standard charger. Is there any compelling reason to order the 19.2 kW charger? The SA recommended it but there wasn’t a reason given.

Are there really L2 destination chargers in CA and western US that actually provide more than that? Seems the Tesla Universal charger soon to be installed at the Hilton chain has the 48A max, matching the Tesla EVs max charge rate. Do you think with the influx of heavy trucks into the EV segment that L2 charger rates might increase?
It's the fastest of the slow charging options, but it's still slow charging. Even at 19.2 you're not plugging in and getting a full charge over lunch.

To me it's a question of perceived value versus actual cost. If your service panel can handle it, you can do a full 11.5 KW system including install for under $1000. 19.2 KW EVSEs start at about $1200 and it's almost certain that the service panel upgrade and wiring will put the cost well over $3000. Then there's the $1600 for the actual option on the car on top of that.

So you're in for $4500 or more, and what you get is the ability to do a full charge 0% to 100% in a bit over 4 hours. But then I'm someone who went for the base Cross Turismo over the 4S because $18,000 for half a second quicker zero to 60 just wasn't worth it to us.

But to others, that marginal difference is well worth it.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Thanks, I found this quote in one of those threads to be helpful: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ard-charger-worth-it.16735/page-2#post-257341

Basically it’s unlikely to be helpful for charging away from home, so really just for home use for faster charging. OK, something to look into. I’m installing a PV panel system, so the main and garage panels will need to be upgraded anyway, along with the utility tap since we’ll be sending excess generation to the utility company. So I already plan to hardwire whatever EVSE I get, and may have some choice about what breaker to put on that line.
You will need a lot of PV panels to generate 19,6 kw. I have a recent installation with 26 panels that can produced 10 kw when everything is perfect around 2 pm. I have set my Wallbox to charge on excess PV energy and usually that is around 6-7 kw during the best hours of the day. On a really good day I can charge around 30 kWh. You won’t need the 19,6 kw charger for that. I do have the 22 kw charger in Europe and never had to use the full potanial at home. It is useful to charge at a restaurant or mall for 2 hours. Or at a hotel and unplug it asap (see charging etiquette).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It all depends on your usecase. For me I have only ever found 2 80A chargers in the wild over the last decade. I say 80A, because both were actually 208V rather than 240V, so not 19.2KW but 16.64KW, though a regular Taycan would only charge at 9.98KW instead of 11.52KW at those same chargers. For me it's a nice to have, comes handy at home around once of twice a year, except during covid it never did, and most recently it came handy more often because we had to charge on a driveway while the garage door is open, so having shorter charging times is convenient.

Bottom line, can be nice to have if your home is wired for it (I have a 3 80A capable EVSEs installed, all load sharing the same 100A circuit). Not as useful during travel since L2 charging typically happens at hotels overnight, so 48A or 80A does not make much difference - either will fill the battery by morning.

jonjon808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
For me, my work place has 20KW chargers installed, so I can get a full charge well within the working day and then free up the charge point for others.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
You will need a lot of PV panels to generate 19,6 kw. I have a recent installation with 26 panels that can produced 10 kw when everything is perfect around 2 pm. I have set my Wallbox to charge on excess PV energy and usually that is around 6-7 kw during the best hours of the day. On a really good day I can charge around 30 kWh. You won’t need the 19,6 kw charger for that. I do have the 22 kw charger in Europe and never had to use the full potanial at home. It is useful to charge at a restaurant or mall for 2 hours. Or at a hotel and unplug it asap (see charging etiquette).
For me, my work place has 20KW chargers installed, so I can get a full charge well within the working day and then free up the charge point for others.
_MOST_ Public L2 EVSE's in North America are - I've been told this is not the case in europe where 22 kW public charging is more common/accessable…

but the fact of the matter for North America is…

208V @ 30 amps - or 6.24 kW of raw power is the 90% most common charging capacity.

there are few if _ANY_ full 80 amp EVSE's even for sale (ClipperCreek use to make one, but it's commercial version was only 70 amps)

the most available and likely 80 amp EVSE you'll run into is a Tesla Wall Charger Gen1 or Gen2 w/NCAS plug (no problem TeslaTap will bridge it for your Taycan) - and that will be at a Hotel/Winery/Golf Course…

I'm not saying you will never find an 80 amp 19.2 kW EVSE in North America - they exist no doubt - but they are rare rare rare beasts and not growing in numbers.

the 19.2 kW North American $1,680 option is a great feature- and if you have access to 19.2 EVSE infrastructure it works great and fills the Taycan 2x faster than the nominal 40 amp 9.6 kW Mobile EVSE - so no reason not to get it…

but anyone specing this option should understand when/how it will actually be "faster" - and the 99% answer is that you will only benefit from this option if you personally install a 19.2 kW 80 amp (100 amp breaker) EVSE in your Garage/Business - you will not just throw a rock in North America and find a 19.2 kW EVSE in public…but you'll appreciate the faster charge speed when you do find one - but most of the time (>95%) your public L2 charging speed will be 6 kW or less in North America - anything else is a rare gift.

if you option this make sure you own an 80 amp TeslaTap (or similar) and have it in the car with you when away from home. Your most likley 19.2 kW EVSE is going to be a NCAS Tesla Wall Charger installed by some nice hotel/business when you're away from home - Native J-1772 80 amp EVSE's are SUPER rare - the majority of > 6 kW EVSE's in North America will be Tesla Wall Chargers w/NCAS charging cable - so ownership of a TeslaTap is mandatory if want to access this "high speed" charging infrastructure.

Since owning an EV since 2011/2012 I haver only found _1_ (one) 70 amp J-1772 EVSE that was greater than 30 amps - and I don't believe it's there anymore - but it's in the Public Parking garage in Downtown San Luis Obispo, CA - 881 Marsh St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA…

every other EVSE I've found/used in public while away from home that was greater than 30 amps has been a Tesla Wall Charger (NCAS) - and most of those are 60 amps or less - very very very very very few 70/80 amp EVSE's in North America.

several things are true regarding this feature:
  • it can charge your Taycan 2x faster when coupled with a full 19.2 kW EVSE
  • there is virtual no significant 19.2 kW public EVSE infrastructure in North America - it's fractional at best
    • also it's not growing
  • Most of the "public/commercial" 19.2 kW EVSE Infrastructure in North America consists of Tesla Wall Chargers (Gen1/Gen2) installed by various businesses - not native J-1772 EVSE's.
  • Ownership of TeslaTap is likely a requirement to access most of the 19.2 kW TeslaDestiantion chargers (of which there are few)
  • support for this in a residential context requires a dedicated 100 amp 240V circuit - depending on your situation/home installing a 100 amp dedicated EV circuit can be quite expensive
    • in some cases it's impossible
    • quotes of $10,000 or more for just the 100 amp dedicated circuit - can be completely reasonable and not outlandish given common residential circumstances (honestly).
  • there are a limited number of 100 amp 19.2 kW EVSE's on the market - the Porsche Wall Charger is one of them - so your choices for a home EVSE drop to 3 or less (welcome correction here, but I can only think of 3 purchasing options)
  • this is great feature if you personally install 19.2 kW EVSE at your home(s) and/or business(s)
  • you will rarely encounter a 19.2 kW EVSE in your travels in North America

Last edited:

MHC

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo, 2022 BMW IX,
Country flag
Unless you have dedicated 100 amp service at home to power a 19.2kw charger - it’s a waste. No the number of level 2 chargers exceeding 11kw is very rare. Having owned EV’s since 2017 I have seen only one. Even at home higher powered charging will cost more to install and I think you’ll rarely use it unless you have quick turnarounds and your looking to charge in 5 hours instead of 9 hours. Value for the cost is very low in my opinion.

jonjon808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Appreciate this is not the US, but here is a snapshot of the public 22KW points in the UK.

One thing I have found useful is situations where there is a CCS/Type2/Chademo charge point. Often someone will be plugged in to the DC connector, but because I have the 22KW AC option, I can still get a good chunk of charge if I am going to be at the destination for a few hours.

Porsche Taycan Help me understand why would I want to order the 19.2 kW charger Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 14.33.01

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the 19.2 kW onbarod charger option is similar metaphorically to top speed limiter options - on some vehicle's you can purchase a top-speed limit adjustment from say 150 mph to 178 mph…great it's a valid option, it's purpose is clear and understandable - I have no doubt the option "works" and/or functions as advertised…

but…

where are you going to use it? Speed Limits in North America are 65/70 mph…there is no place you can legally drive more than 65 mph on 99% of North American highways…

the "speed limit" on most of North America's public/commercial L2 EVSE charging infrastructure is 6 kW…if you want to use this $1,680 option you'll need to install your own 100 amp race track at home :cool:

otherwise your 19.2 kW Taycan will never likely encounter a public/commercial EVSE that can go faster than 6 kW…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I of course am the exception that proves the rule - very very close to me are 4 (four) 19.2 kW EVSE's at SeaScape resort in Aptos, CA - they are Tesla Wall Chargers Gen1 install over 10 years ago (and still working) when Tesla would give you a "free" charger if you agreed to install it as a business…

these rock solid EVSE's have 100 amp circuits and there is one each in the 4 main building w/underground parking. My wife and I often walk around the lovely Seascape grounds and I charge my Cayenne/Taycan there using a TeslaTap…but of the literally thousands of L2 EVSE's in the greater SF Bay area - I'm hard pressed to accurately find any of them that I'd expect more than 6 kW from that are publically available

but there are two examples in my area - but they are fractional vs. the other available EVSE's

1 Seascape Resort Dr. Aptos CA. 95003
21 Municipal Wharf, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA

if you asked me to find a 19.2 kW other than the 2 listes above - I'm sure I could - but it would take some work - results would not be guaranteed and the vast majority of options would not be J-1772 or even more than 6 kW…they are out there, but not in any way you can "rely" on. It will all be "luck" encounters and an unexpected surprise.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

You probably don't need it unless you have a long daily drive and a short overnight time to re-charge in. I actually run my EVSE at a lower power level than its max (my EVSE is max 40A / 10kW). The lower the current, the less the losses due to heat in the wire.

The more important one to add to the car is the 150kW DC toDC converter - that will let you charge at 150kW at Tesla superchargers that open to all cars (without it you will be limited to just 50kW).
Sponsored