NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Even after reading every post I still don’t totally understand how to set this to 85%. I found the profiles and it says “general charging”. It has a option for minimum charge but not maximum? Having owned 5 Teslas in the past and one currently I find it quite amazing that if Porsche recommended charging to 85% they make it so unintuitive to set this?!?!

I’d be happy with the step by step here. Thanks
Profiles set minimum charge (optionally based on GPS location).

Timers set maximum charge and are not GPS-based.

The departure time in the active timer tells the car by when to achieve the specified maximum charge.

Profiles are where you can set preferred charging hours if your electricity is cheaper at night (if you don't have a time of use rate plan, look into one - it will probably cut the cost of electricity to charge your car by at least 33% if not closer to 50%). Set your departure time (in a timer) to the time of day when your electricity cost goes up. When you plug in, if your battery level is below the minimum charge configured in the active profile (remember, it can be GPS-based), the car will immediately start charging until it hits that minimum, ignoring any preferred charging times. Once it hits that minimum (or if your battery is above the minimum when you plug in) the car will wait until preferred charging hours to begin charging.

Timers also allow you to precondition the cabin at a set time.
Sponsored

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Really. This is the case? I just got the Taycan so I’m very confused. In the Teslas I always just set it at 90% and left it alone unless I needed to go on a trip.

So what you are saying is default minimum charging is set at 25% so if I plug it in it will only charge to 25%?? . That makes no sense why would they even have it set that way. Honestly can someone please explain how to do this in a step by step way. I’m wondering if this whole charging % is not too important for the Taycan or they would make it more intuitive.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Your general profile is already set so nothing to do there. Create a timer, set a departure time, set the max charge to 85%, set it to repeat daily (or create multiple timers with different times if you want), then make sure the timer(s) you want is(are) active (check box is checked). If you have no idea what to use for a departure time, set it for 6am. That way the car will start charging whenever it needs to so it finishes at 6am.

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Your general profile is already set so nothing to do there. Create a timer, set a departure time, set the max charge to 85%, set it to repeat daily (or create multiple timers with different times if you want), then make sure the timer(s) you want is(are) active (check box is checked). If you have no idea what to use for a departure time, set it for 6am. That way the car will start charging whenever it needs to so it finishes at 6am.
This is also what I use and have found to be most Tesla-like. Leave Profiles disabled. Have one Timer enabled for 85% at 6:30am.

As I typically plug in when I’m done going places for the day, this brings it to 85% overnight and holds it there.

Using a Profile by itself or in conjunction with a Timer ended up being problematic for me, so that is why I don’t use them, nor do I find I need it.

jmi91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS5 Convertible, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
On MY2021, Porsche recommend to charge at 80% for daily use.

Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% IMG_0126

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Lol, still a lot of confusion here.
It's pretty simple:
Profil charging: minimum target: desired charge level to start (regardless of what you want to do next).
Timer charging: desired charge level to leave.
This is how Porsche intended it to work.
That it works differently in some cases doesn't mean it's the correct way.

Last edited:

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Ok that video is hands down the most helpful. That said this is so overly engineered and complex. Having a EV for the past 8-9 years I’ve learned to charge like you fill gas in an ICE car. Having to think about all these factors, profiles and timers seems like it would be range anxiety producing. Lol.

Anyway. Thanks for the help. I’m still baffled why they use “minimum” charge to designate the “maximum” charge level but only in the profile setting.

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This is overly convoluted and confusing.

For someone like me that doesn't have variable electric rates this is way more complex than need be. There should be a "Charge Limit" which you can use to set the MAXIMUM charge regardless of whether you're using profiles or timers or direct charging. Set it to 85%, plug the car in and forget it.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
The only way to specify a maximum is using a timer - set a profile there for everyday, select time (7 am - 6:59 am) and there you can set max 85%.

One of the quirks of the Porsche PCM!
That is absolutely incorrect.

Just set the "minimum charge level" in your default profile to 85% and forget about it. Then simply select the "direct charging" button anytime you want a 100% charge overnight. ("Minimum" charge is a misnomer. If you set this to 85%, that will actually be the max charge your car will get... THAT is the "quirk"...)

Many of us have been doing this for many months without issue.

IMHO: You DO NOT want to be setting up any additional profiles, timers, or tweaking your charge settings remotely unless you have very good reason to do this. It seems that most of the issues folks have been having (specifically including dead 12v batteries) are related to using all these poorly implemented "magical" controls Porsche has given us...

- Set your default profile to 85%
- Plug you car in whenever it is parked next to your charger (even if you just roll it in/out of the garage to wash it)
- Select the "Direct Charge" option (on the console) when you need a 100% charge the next day

Done

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
- Set your default profile to 85%
- Plug you car in whenever it is parked next to your charger (even if you just roll it in/out of the garage to wash it)
- Select the "Direct Charge" option (on the console) when you need a 100% charge the next day
Sorry but I do not agree with you here. If you set it to direct charge once you plug in, it might be standing with 100% charge most of the night. And having the car standing fully charged is not recommended. In Such a case it is recommended to set a timer and then drive away as soon as possible after reaching 100% charge.

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Agree with almost all said by @evanevery. One issue for me - had twice the car charge to 100% despite the profile being set to 85%.

The advantage of using a timer is not only that the car is warm - but also the battery is warmed up so you get optimal consumption from the get go. In a previous post I mentioned I gained 5% efficiency by inflating tires to 42 PSI and having the car charged (i.e., battery warm) before departure. I started checking the battery temp recently - whenever I depart from home with the charger on, temp is around 70F. Whenever I leave the office or go on non-preconditioned trip, battery is ~30-39F. It takes a very long time to increase the temp - on a recent trip, battery temp got into the high 50s just about as I was driving into the dealer lot 90 miles away from home.

The 12V battery issue is very vexing - my understanding was that many had problems while trying to change profiles / timers from the app when car was charging. I have seen posts from people who did not have that at all. Knock on wood, so far I have been lucky using the profiles / timers.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is overly convoluted and confusing.

For someone like me that doesn't have variable electric rates this is way more complex than need be. There should be a "Charge Limit" which you can use to set the MAXIMUM charge regardless of whether you're using profiles or timers or direct charging. Set it to 85%, plug the car in and forget it.
Agree it is very complicated and unnecessary so. Can not understand why Porsche has to make it so complicated.

Secondly I just can not get my head around why I can not set a DC charge to the limit I want. Would be nice if you go to a fast charger like Ionity, where the charge rate varies over time and depending on the SOC of the battery. Say you go for a coffee and it take much longer than anticipated. Why not just set it to 80% and forget it. Charge with AC or DC at your leisure.

Porsche really have shown how bad they are at software design with their charging settings. And that worries me with all the issues there are to be sorted in the PCM.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Sorry but I do not agree with you here. If you set it to direct charge once you plug in, it might be standing with 100% charge most of the night. And having the car standing fully charged is not recommended. In Such a case it is recommended to set a timer and then drive away as soon as possible after reaching 100% charge.
I have a profile and timer that I named "trip". They are set to 100% with departure time that I change according to next day's plan. That way 100% is achieved shortly before actual departure.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Nope, not an issue!

Yes, it will reach 100% and then stop charging. That is exactly the point. ...and you only request the 100% charge level when you actually need it the next day. I've been doing this with 4 different EV's for 5 or 6 years now...

What people seem to NOT understand is that Just because the car is "plugged in" does not mean it is actively "charging". (If you look at the output on your charger you will see it drops to zero once the target is reached).
Sponsored