Hubbel Receptacle Installed

Basebull7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well I installed a $100 Hubbel Receptacle on my connection and once again I’m getting the charging error. Cable was super hot 🥵.

I have an appointment at my dealer next week to see what is going on.
Sponsored

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Your dealer isn't going to be able to solve this for you. They can diagnose because it's a well known issue.

Your PMCC, and every other PMCC and PMC+ in North America has the same issue. Upgrading your NEMA 14-50 receptacle won't fix that problem, it is just less likely to melt when the PMCC is running at 40A.

All paths lead to running your PMCC at half power, or replacing it with another charger. There are so many threads on this. Good luck!

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche recommends/requires the Hubble socket because their products runs hot by design - it's safe and effective but will overheat - Porsche swears this is not a problem and that they are fault-less in this endeavor.

Give up now, replace the PMC+/PMCC with a $700 or less product that doesn't run as hot as the porsche product and you'll be happy and have no further problems.

this thread is a thorough treatment of the topic:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...uide-to-the-porsche-evse-pmc-pmcc-pwcc.13886/

this is a known issue, there is no fix - the Hubble socket mitigates the impact since it won't melt due to the high temperatures - but Porsche's product in this space is sub-standard and really quite the sh*t show…

recommend virtually _ANY_ other EV charger (EVSE) and you simply store the PMC+/PMCC away and ignore it until it comes time to sell/trade the vehicle.

you'll be happier with an alternative product.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have an appointment at my dealer next week to see what is going on.
and I quote from the Porsche technical bulletin on this exact topic…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222530-0001.pdf'

see the quotes below _FROM PORSCHE_ before wasting time with a dealer visit who will refer you to the official Porsche document I have linked.
Caution
If the electrical receptacles/outlets are not of sufficient quality, higher temperatures can occur in the receptacle when charging the vehicle using the supplied charging hardware (e.g. Porsche Mobile Charger). This can result in thermal damage to the receptacle and associated wiring. Low quality NEMA receptacle use or improper installation are not an indication of a defect in the vehicle or Porsche charging hard
The surface of the charger and associated equipment can become very hot under normal use. This is normal and not an indication of a defect in the charger.
your dealer will/can do NOTHING for you on this issue - the Porsche charger runs hot by design and Porsche does not consider this a problem.

read the threads, read their documents and give up and spend $700 or less to purchase an alternate product or live with the Porsche product as it's designed.

your call - but there is nothing to "fix" here.

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
the Porsche charger runs hot by design and Porsche does not consider this a problem.
I recommend this slight adjustment to your wording…

“the Porsche charger runs hot by shoddy design and Porsche does not consider this a problem.”

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the Hubble socket does not make the Porsche EVSE (PMC+/PMCC) run any cooler - it's just better able to avoid failure under the thermal stress the Porsche EVSE places on the sockets it's plugged into (it's a ceramic socket not plastic subject to melting and eventual failure).

the Porsche EVSE runs hot by design, and there is no _FIX_ from Porsche - they consider their design correct and functional and are not forth coming with any changes.

there are numerous alternative and compatible EVSE's from other vendors that will charge your Taycan no problem, and do not run as hot as the Porsche product under exactly the same conditions.

there are better, cheaper, compatible and more affordable than the Porsche product and they do not achieve high operating temperatures in normal use - Porsche's product offering in this space sucks and is not the best choice.

pursue alternatives - the Hubble socket is great and will not fail you - I can't say the same about the Porsche EVSE.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I recommend this slight adjustment to your wording…

“the Porsche charger runs hot by shoddy design and Porsche does not consider this a problem.”
I agree 100% - but technically speaking Porsche chose a wire gauge and wire insulation that is able to handle the thermal loads dictated by the physics of the situation - their cable is safe/effective, but does achieve 150F+ operating temperatures in normal use - that is not a shoddy design if they chose the insulation to handled that - it's questionable judgement, it's un-necessarily hot, alternative designs (different wire gauge) achieve lower operating temperatures, and their design thermally stresses lower quality plastic NEMA sockets (vs. the Hubble ceramic sockets)

their design is not "shoddy" - it's in poor taste and poor judgement and runs hotter than people expect, and runs hotter than any competitive product performing similar/identical operations

but they did choose cable insulation and wire that is able to handle that thermal load - they simply did not consider that people don't expect their 9.6 kW EVSE's to run hotter than scalding water coming from a water tap…

and I quote from Porsche…
The surface of the charger and associated equipment can become very hot under normal use. This is normal and not an indication of a defect in the charger.
it's behaving as designed and to date all the failures have been in non-porsche components - now those failures have been induced by Porsche's un-necessary thermal stress on those components, but Porsche's components haven't failed.

but you all know I consider the Porsche PMC+/PMCC to be about the worst $3800 EVSE's on the market…

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
their design is not "shoddy" - it's in poor taste and poor judgement and runs hotter than people expect, and runs hotter than any competitive product performing similar/identical operations
We both agree that it's poorly done. When the EVSE gets so hot that it fails to charge your vehicle to the expected level at the expected time (throws an error due to the heat) then I consider that "shoddy". Honestly my comment was made in jest but you took it a bit more seriously than I was expecting. Call off the dogs sir :)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We both agree that it's poorly done. When the EVSE gets so hot that it fails to charge your vehicle to the expected level at the expected time (throws an error due to the heat) then I consider that "shoddy". Honestly my comment was made in jest but you took it a bit more seriously than I was expecting. Call off the dogs sir :)
my sincere apologies @Hirschaj no dogs were meant or implied - friendly conversation no harm intended - my deepest apologies.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my sincere apologies @Hirschaj no dogs were meant or implied - friendly conversation no harm intended - my deepest apologies.
It's all good man, I love your passion around this subject.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Appreciate the occasional discourse and subsequent understanding on the taycan forum,
a welcome internet exception.
Good day all!

OP
OP
Basebull7

Basebull7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I appreciate all of the feedback on this issue. I think I’m going to tweak down the Amps to 30amps and just live with the fact
It will take a little longer to charge.
Great forum, it’s been very helpful.
Sponsored