rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
You misunderstand. There was no mention of “3D” on any of the options on the original MY20 configurator. This is in spite of the option being available on the car, being demoed with the car on test-drives, being present on cars delivered which specced the highest available 360 Surround View option.
Between ordering the car and receiving it, the change in model years also came with a removal of this feature from one option, and into a brand new previously unlisted option. There was no way for me to spec it, and it was on my original spec (whether explicitly stated as “3D” or not). You can’t demonstrate a car with a feature, decide to rename the feature and then tell the customer that they didn’t order it, based on the new name.
I'd also add that including a 3D feature along with "surround view" has become nearly universal now amongst premium brands so it's pretty much an expectation at this point. If buyers need to read Porsche's option descriptions like a lawyer would that's not a good thing.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’ve downloaded the MY20 Porsche Good To Know manual - 3D is indeed mentioned in the context of surround view but clearly the physical reality ended up being something else. Most odd.

View attachment 16060
I'd also add that including a 3D feature along with "surround view" has become nearly universal now amongst premium brands so it's pretty much an expectation at this point. If buyers need to read Porsche's option descriptions like a lawyer would that's not a good thing.
Guys, it is demonstrably a separate option, no law degree required. No argument to the " it should be standard" debate.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
I’ve downloaded the MY20 Porsche Good To Know manual - 3D is indeed mentioned in the context of surround view but clearly the physical reality ended up being something else. Most odd.

View attachment 16060

Guys, it is demonstrably a separate option, no law degree required. No argument to the " it should be standard" debate.
It wasn't odd. 3D is indeed working on MY20 models with the same spec that I configured, whereas my MY21 does not have this feature. It was "removed" from one option and transplanted onto another, in between model years. It is not a hardware limitation, as I can clearly trick the PCM into replicating it.
What is even worse is that Porsche are refusing to own up to this mistake and rectify it. I even offered to pay for the "new" option, and for it to be retroactively unlocked on my car (as a sort of unofficial FOD)...but they won't even allow that. Realistically, they should have just honored the original spec and done it for free. To be honest, it was poor of the salesman to not let me know I would be losing it across model years also. Just poor all round.

Reactions: Dee

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
People complaining about false advertisement when Porsche sells 360 surround view and they don't have the 3D option. Sorry but this does not make any sense. 360 view is sold by literally all car makers and has been sold for years. From Mercedes A-Class to VW Polo, this is nothing new. Your assumptions are wrong, not the description.

Why Porsche suddenly removed it/moved it into the Park Assist is odd. My best guess is, they accidently had it activated in all cars from the beginning and some marketing idiot thought it would be a good idea to move it to the Park Assist since noone was buying that function as it was.
Maybe they are updating it and it will come back with the next bigger update.

What I truely know is that, if people got the function right now (which you technically do with the "hack" shown in this forum) you would almost never use it. It is a nice show off to new passengers, but that is it. Cameras are so bad it does not help at all with parking. But willing to go the extra mile for that with lawyers or complaints makes no sense to me.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
People complaining about false advertisement when Porsche sells 360 surround view and they don't have the 3D option. Sorry but this does not make any sense. 360 view is sold by literally all car makers and has been sold for years. From Mercedes A-Class to VW Polo, this is nothing new. Your assumptions are wrong, not the description.

Why Porsche suddenly removed it/moved it into the Park Assist is odd. My best guess is, they accidently had it activated in all cars from the beginning and some marketing idiot thought it would be a good idea to move it to the Park Assist since noone was buying that function as it was.
Maybe they are updating it and it will come back with the next bigger update.

What I truely know is that, if people got the function right now (which you technically do with the "hack" shown in this forum) you would almost never use it. It is a nice show off to new passengers, but that is it. Cameras are so bad it does not help at all with parking. But willing to go the extra mile for that with lawyers or complaints makes no sense to me.
There was no “3D option”. That’s the entire point.
We are unhappy because we specced a car with a particular feature, and it was removed from our spec into a new option that was previously unavailable.
Now I appreciate that you might think it is a gimmick and not particularly useful. That is fine. But for my particular regular parking spot, it is tremendously helpful, which is why I go through the stupid pcm trick to do it anyways.
There won’t be any lawyers involved. It’s just not that important. But it is incredibly poor form from Porsche.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
New to the Porsche family, I owned 5 Tesla’s model S since 2012, still own a P100D. I got my Taycan RWD, very nice ride, I love it, two very different cars, nice to have both. I got the Taycan just 4 days ago, I called the dealer and they verified that the cars has the Premium pkg with the 360 view. I got the car and the 3D was working fine, sports cars has a poor visibility and this aid tools are a must have for me. To my surprise after an update done yesterday the 3D view stop working, now appears but froze. I don’t want to offend anyone but this is a ripoff, the 4 cameras work fine for 3D, it’s a lie that you need 8 cameras perhaps the graphics are better but my previous 3D was safe and good enough. Is there something we can do? This was misleading and they should let us use the 3D with the 360 option.
Video attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
3D with parking Assistance is another option on top of surround. Surround has 4 physical cameras and when active you can switch views front, rear, panoramic, and side view.

Search the forum where the 3D trick is available to you but basically select front or rear camera and then on the central panel click off the camera and you should see a new image - 3D - which you can then spin around as if you have paid for the 3D option.
this doesn’t work with the latest pcm update

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Correct.

We perhaps shouldn't have shared the hack on this forum as Porsche will be monitoring!
I am glad they are so quick with removing hacks but not fixing broken things.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
People can be forgiven for thinking an option described as "360 degree surround view" is the one where you see the 3D image of the car and can use your finger to manipulate the view, especially when the actual 3D view option is bundled with the "remote ParkAssist" and is not a standalone option. A lot of people will want the 3D view but not the remote parking, so they wouldn't even think to click on the "i" in that option on the configurator (they do the same thing with other options, such as having to click memory pack to get the dipping side mirror). Maybe if they'd called the latter option "Remote ParkAssist and 3D View" I would understand. It doesn't help if you're used to other manufacturers, such as BMW, describe their 3D view as "Surround View".

Do Porsche tell you which options are which? Yes. Do they do it in a clear and transparent way? Absolutely not.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
People can be forgiven for thinking an option described as "360 degree surround view" is the one where you see the 3D image of the car and can use your finger to manipulate the view, especially when the actual 3D view option is bundled with the "remote ParkAssist" and is not a standalone option. A lot of people will want the 3D view but not the remote parking, so they wouldn't even think to click on the "i" in that option on the configurator (they do the same thing with other options, such as having to click memory pack to get the dipping side mirror). Maybe if they'd called the latter option "Remote ParkAssist and 3D View" I would understand. It doesn't help if you're used to other manufacturers, such as BMW, describe their 3D view as "Surround View".

Do Porsche tell you which options are which? Yes. Do they do it in a clear and transparent way? Absolutely not.
It used to be a separate option in early 2021.
3 tiers of parking assist.
Sponsored