dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
I wonder how the system works with the single motor cars. (I have an incoming RWD)
I guess we'll both find out soon enough.

According to Hennessy, my RWD car (and presumably yours) is getting the Jaxport "Port Handling and Quality Action PDI" right now. Hope the firmware update goes quickly and without issue so they can get it on a truck in the next day or two.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I guess we'll both find out soon enough.

According to Hennessy, my RWD car (and presumably yours) is getting the Jaxport "Port Handling and Quality Action PDI" right now. Hope the firmware update goes quickly and without issue so they can get it on a truck in the next day or two.
Sweet! :fist bump:

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
Not totaly sure i understand what you are trying to communicate. But:

From a efficiency standpoint regen is super nice for stopping a car. The alternative is to use the brakes, they will just take your nice energy and give it away as heat to the atmosphere.

Again, from an efficiency standpoint, if your goal is to keep the car moving, and a braking operation is just temporarily, you are much more efficient with just coasting. (Compared to braking, accelerating, braking accel.)

In the good-to-know app you can read how porsche has enabled a coasting feature when the car is moving at highway speeds and certain parameters are met.
I'm confused by the statement about braking: applying the brake, except in extreme circumstances, slows the car with regen.

Socks

First Name
Candi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Regen = braking car.
You need to use energy (> than the regen input) to get back to speed, as compared to just coasting.
That's why coasting is better than regen.

BUT

Efficiency would pretty much only come under scrutiny in range mode.
And in range mode, people would normally be on ACC/PID on a set speed.
Then it doesn't matter that much because ACC/PID dictates energy input/output. Not whether or not you have selected regen.

Real world difference, IMHO, will be very, very, very minimal.
It's more on the "feel" of the car.
I’m so confused..just go my tycan..had a Tesla s before.I don’t even know what ren is..I find that I have to break harder to stop.no slowing down first..please help me

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for the link. I'm confused about this " Auto-recuperation with camera " regen mode:

With auto-recuperation selected, the Taycan uses the front-facing camera to keep a proper distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you. It will seamlessly use the regenerative braking system to slow down the vehicle when needed.​
This implies that the computer will adjust your speed during the course of manual driving...is this true? Seems annoying to have the car brake for me when I'm driving. I would only want this if I have ACC on.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Thanks for the link. I'm confused about this " Auto-recuperation with camera " regen mode:

With auto-recuperation selected, the Taycan uses the front-facing camera to keep a proper distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you. It will seamlessly use the regenerative braking system to slow down the vehicle when needed.​
This implies that the computer will adjust your speed during the course of manual driving...is this true? Seems annoying to have the car brake for me when I'm driving. I would only want this if I have ACC on.
Well if there is a car ahead of you and you are accelerating into it you will need to ”break.” If you turn on Auto Regen it uses regen to slow you down. Its not ACC as it won’t keep a speed, only apply the brake when needed. You don’t have to turn it on.

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Well if there is a car ahead of you and you are accelerating into it you will need to ”break.” If you turn on Auto Regen it uses regen to slow you down. Its not ACC as it won’t keep a speed, only apply the brake when needed. You don’t have to turn it on.
I tried auto-recuperation on my morning commute for the first time today. Kept the power-meter in the display so I could see what it was doing. Thought it was pretty cool. Basically the car coasts when no one is in front of you but then automatically brakes as you close the distance on a vehicle in front of you. It takes a little getting used to, and I wouldn't want to use it if I was driving "spiritedly", but I think I'll use it for sure on my commute as it seems the most efficient.

Question though: with auto-recuperation "braking" fairly aggressively at times, do the car's brake lights light up? I would hope that they do, and could test with a friend later, but was wondering if anyone knew the answer. I was worried that with the regen braking happening without pressing the brake pedal, the lights don't come on and I'd get rear-ended. Surely that's not the case?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Question though: with auto-recuperation "braking" fairly aggressively at times, do the car's brake lights light up? I would hope that they do, and could test with a friend later, but was wondering if anyone knew the answer. I was worried that with the regen braking happening without pressing the brake pedal, the lights don't come on and I'd get rear-ended. Surely that's not the case?
This is a common concern with EVs and the answer is yes, whenever the "regen" is past a low level of threshodl the brake lights turn on as if you were actively breaking. I used to test this on most of my new EVs by having someone follow me until I became comfortable.

Side note on this: if you have a high regen EV (one pedal driving) and you do one pedal driving sometimes people behind you think you are constantly breaking and accelerating. One woman got annoyed with me, although my actual driving was smooth to traffic the lights that kept falshing triggered her!

This is not a concern on the Taycan.

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tried auto-recuperation on my morning commute for the first time today. Kept the power-meter in the display so I could see what it was doing. Thought it was pretty cool. Basically the car coasts when no one is in front of you but then automatically brakes as you close the distance on a vehicle in front of you. It takes a little getting used to, and I wouldn't want to use it if I was driving "spiritedly", but I think I'll use it for sure on my commute as it seems the most efficient.

There is a similar system on Etron but once you set it, it stays that way. I like the system and wish it would 'stick' with the Taycan. Only intervenes when your foot is off the accelerator, so probably wouldn't have a big effect on spirited driving.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
There is a similar system on Etron but once you set it, it stays that way. I like the system and wish it would 'stick' with the Taycan. Only intervenes when your foot is off the accelerator, so probably wouldn't have a big effect on spirited driving.
If it intervenes when your foot is off the accelerator, but not every time (only as you approach a vehicle), does it in any way mess up your ability to coast smoothly to a stop? Back when I had an ICE, I developed (as I'm sure most did) a feel for when to let off the gas pedal such that I could coast smoothly to a slow enough speed that I didn't have to use the brake pedal much. Does auto-recup interfere with that in any way, or is it only taking over when you should have been braking to slow down but improperly judged how much room you had to coast?

I'm sure I'll figure this out once I get my car but just curious on learning things in the meantime :)

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are 3 settings for overrun recuperation, From page 238 of the the manual.

Off - just coasting
On - moderate deceleration
Auto - variable, but there are a number of qualifiers as to whether it will be available

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I’m so confused..just go my tycan..had a Tesla s before.I don’t even know what ren is..I find that I have to break harder to stop.no slowing down first..please help me
I can imagine that it is confusing if you come from a Tesla, but basically the logic is very simple: 1) press the accelerator pedal to increase (or sometimes maintain) speed, and 2) press the brake pedal to reduce speed (or come to a complete stop). Not pressing either of the pedals results in the car coasting along by its own momentum. Given that EVs coast with less friction than ICE cars, such coasting can feel surprisingly light with the car hardly slowing down. Whether braking uses regen or the actual mechanical brakes is something you do not have to worry about. Your Taycan decides for you what is best, depending on how aggressively you want or need to stop.

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it intervenes when your foot is off the accelerator, but not every time (only as you approach a vehicle), does it in any way mess up your ability to coast smoothly to a stop? Back when I had an ICE, I developed (as I'm sure most did) a feel for when to let off the gas pedal such that I could coast smoothly to a slow enough speed that I didn't have to use the brake pedal much. Does auto-recup interfere with that in any way, or is it only taking over when you should have been braking to slow down but improperly judged how much room you had to coast?

I'm sure I'll figure this out once I get my car but just curious on learning things in the meantime :)
I fell like it actually because it is more smoothly handled that I would have; one of the reasons I like the auto function very much. Just try it when you get a chance, just set to A and then take your foot off the accelerator as you approach a string of cars. It will not stop completely, you do have to intervene, but if hey start moving your slowdown ends. Note: it will not speed you up if the cars start moving, you have to do that yourself. The amount of slowdown applied is a function of relative speeds as calculated by the system.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I fell like it actually because it is more smoothly handled that I would have; one of the reasons I like the auto function very much. Just try it when you get a chance, just set to A and then take your foot off the accelerator as you approach a string of cars. It will not stop completely, you do have to intervene, but if hey start moving your slowdown ends. Note: it will not speed you up if the cars start moving, you have to do that yourself. The amount of slowdown applied is a function of relative speeds as calculated by the system.
I never use the "auto regen", because the system cannot see the traffic further ahead and often breaks way to aggressive, which blows up my average consumption target.
Sponsored