LOCKED OUT

majugo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo., McLaren 675lt, Lotus elise race car, Honda Cfv, Mercedes slk 300, Peugeot 107; Fiat Panda
Country flag
I went to take the car out after not driving for about 10 days due to snow and salt.
Neither key gets any response at all. I have then tried both mechanical keys, which turn but the doors remain totally stuck shut. There is no response from the car in any way and it is stuck in my garage.
I phoned Porsche Cambridge, and am told I will have to get Porsche assist to take the car over to them. (again: the previous fault was that the charge port would not lock on to the cable, so would not charge.)
I am just glad that I am at home and still in lockdown - little consolation!
I am not happy with this unreliability!
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Random thought but did you try unlocking with Porsche Connect App - long shot if 12V issue is root cause?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Random thought but did you try unlocking with Porsche Connect App - long shot if 12V issue is root cause?
Is that feature available for 2021 models? It's not showing for Taycan 2020 US models.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is that feature available for 2021 models? It's not showing for Taycan 2020 US models.
I have it on my MY21 so i guess so. It is pretty useless in operation as it is slow to respond and don't see the point of it (for locking maybe but with comfort access it will lock anyway).

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I have it on my MY21 so i guess so. It is pretty useless in operation as it is slow to respond and don't see the point of it (for locking maybe but with comfort access it will lock anyway).
I use this feature all the time on my Tesla. Walk outside without your key to grab something out of the car. The kids want to head back to the car and sit and wait while you finish an errand, you can remotely unlock and let them in. The Tesla also allows remote start. Porsche is behind in remote tech.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
..... (for locking maybe but with comfort access it will lock anyway).
Are you sure about that?
I don't think so.
My MY2020 doesn't lock on walk away but maybe I missed something on MY2021.
The handles close but the doors won't lock as far as I know...

OP
OP

majugo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo., McLaren 675lt, Lotus elise race car, Honda Cfv, Mercedes slk 300, Peugeot 107; Fiat Panda
Country flag
So, I called Porsche Assist, and the local AA man turned up. He tried to use the mechanical key which as I had found cannot be easily inserted or turned. He had to use pliers to get it in or out as it is that stiff! then there is an amazingly complex procedure which I will add as a separate thread as well to aid others. You have to turn the key in three stages according to his manual (not issued to owners??!) First you turn the key 45 degrees, then another 5 degrees, and then are able to turn it again (seems incredible). Furthermore, the key would not come out subsequently when turned back and eventually could be removed removed only with pliers. Next there was the matter of removing the trim panel just ahead of drivers door (at the side). Then to open the front boot there is a lever of some sort to pull, which took the AA man about 15-20 minutes of very awkward work with both pliers and a flat blade screw driver to pull out. Then the bonnet would still not release but somehow this procedure allowed my key to pop the bonnet???
Anyway the next thing was to test the battery (12v) which of course had just 1.3 volts of power. Why had this gone flat after just 10 days idle time??? the power pack is at 55% by the way. He then put his jump leads on and then we could start the car up and let it self cross charge for several hours.
Next problem!! - I left the key in the car so that it would not shut off. Next thing I knew was the car had self locked itself with the key still inside!!! If I had not got the second key handy to unlock it - what then?
As someone else here said, this stuff tests my loyalty with this car, which is so great to drive, but not when stuck in my garage. Thank goodness I was at home.
I now intend to keep it on permanent trickle charge, but why does it not auto top up from the power pack without all this diabolical mess?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sounds a bit of a mare. Out of interest when you locked the keys in the car did you try pulling the door handles to open?

I've tried this with the keys inside the car and whilst the handles are in a retracted state if you pull on them the car will open.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes if it has to go through the server then it can be quite slow and also then only work in areas where both the car and your cell phone have service. The Chevy Bolt has this feature as well called keypass and it uses the internet if you are not in range and will use Bluetooth if you are near the vehicle and can be then quite speedy. I must admit that I have only used it when I'm out in the garage and didn't carry that vehicle's key but wanted to get something out of it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I now intend to keep it on permanent trickle charge, but why does it not auto top up from the power pack without all this diabolical mess?
there is EXTENSIVE discussion on this exact topic and what you experienced in the other threads I have linked in post #2 on this thread - nothing here is news to the forums and trickle charger will most likely not achieve what you think it will - it's complex issue and a fault with Porsche's design - but the Taycan is not an ICE vehicle and the 12V death issue is due to unknown set of circumstances that causes enough drain on the 12V system that a trickle charger would not be able to keep up with it…and once the 12V battery is low it's behind a relay that has tripped and CAN NOT be charged until the car is successfully powered up again with an external 12V power supply…

talk to your local Porsche representative if you find this unacceptable - but your experience mirrors that of lots of other owners and the solution to the problem is NOT a trickle charger.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not happy with this unreliability!
get used to it - there is no known resolution at this time and no published time line as to if/when it will be fixed.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also using the app to unlock the vehicle simply won't work if the Taycan is dead due to the 12V issue…

I'm hoping Porsche improves the situation with a future software update and identifies and resolves more circumstances where the 12V battery is allowed to die - I have no confidence they will ever address _ALL_ issues, but for problems like this you can keep chipping away at it and keep fixing known causes - until you're left with the truly rare circumstances…

at the moment this problem is too frequent and a serious reliability issue and should be addressed.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
get used to it - there is no known resolution at this time and no published time line as to if/when it will be fixed.
Now now David, I don't think you need to be so negative with the "if", I'm sure it's only a when. They can't provide a date because they don't understand the problem yet.
Sponsored