My car charges to 100% despite profiles/timers set to 80% - Advice?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
-Set the general profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 100%.
-Set another profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 85%. Suddenly the behaviour of a profile is different.
I don’t think it does this. I think it goes to 85% per the timer in either case.

it’s also pointless to use a profile set to 25% with a timer unless you’re trying to use a preferred charge time for some of the timer (and the timer isn’t already during your preferred charge time).

The car charges to a 25% min immediately with the timer alone.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The general profile does not behave the same.
-Set the general profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 100%.
-Set another profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 85%. Suddenly the behaviour of a profile is different.
-Set the general profile to 85% and not timer: the car will charge to 85%. Suddenly the minimum is a maximum.
That is not logic to me.
It makes no sense to use the general profile and a timer together.

Use a locational profile and timer as needed.

Simple really.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
It makes no sense to use the general profile and a timer together.

Use a locational profile and timer as needed.

Simple really.
Yes, I did that too. And it does work.
But it isn't intuitive. Things like this should be clear without having to read a manual or watching a youtube movie.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
-Profile is for minimum charge (and gps based/charge at prefered times).
-Timer is for maximum charge (and precon/departure times)
-Profiles overrule timers.

Why is this still so difficult to understand?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
On the OP post:
#1 No timer and no profile active: car charges to 100%

#2 Profile active: car charges to 80% and profile is no longer active after that.
Also: timer is deactivated cuz of the profile is overruling it.

So, no timer active and no profile either -> car charges to 100% cuz of #1.
That is about the charging.
The precon is still active though cuz these conditions aren't met yet.
At least, that's my experience.

Last edited:

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
I have a pmcc at home, and have timers and a profile enabled on my connect app. The timers and profile are set to charge the battery to a maximum of 80% state of charge. Unfortunately, there have been times where the car continues to charge to 100%, despite “direct charging” being off. Any advice?

image0.png

image1.png

image2.png
you need to deactivate home charging and activate general charging and then move the percentage to 85% and you will not have any problems anymore

bihus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It all depends (or it did depend) on which option you chose: optimized or preferred time of charging. If you put it in optimized, it will charge till the minimum amount of charging (eg: 50%). If you put it in Preferred time of charging, it will charge at that time, but with no limit.
It worked like this until some time ago. Now I can't make the timer work.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It all depends (or it did depend) on which option you chose: optimized or preferred time of charging. If you put it in optimized, it will charge till the minimum amount of charging (eg: 50%). If you put it in Preferred time of charging, it will charge at that time, but with no limit.
It worked like this until some time ago. Now I can't make the timer work.
Optimized simply relates to blending solar energy with grid energy and nothing to do with anything else. To use this feature you need a) a HEM (Home Energy Manager) and b) solar supply to mix with grid.

A departure timer controls the departure time AND the target charge e.g. 85%. To charge within a time range use a profile (not the general one).

Therefore use a profile and timer to control target charge and when you want the car charged by.

bihus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I understand the purpose of "optimized", but when you don't limit the supply it will only rely on the target %. What stopped working is the "Preferred charging time".
I didn't need a timer before. Meanwhile I found another thread with issues with another chargers, and that might be the issue. I'm using a Juice Booster, or a Tesla Wall Charger, and tomorrow will try the PMCC. If it works, the issue is localized. The SW engineering team. Just another one.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I understand the purpose of "optimized", but when you don't limit the supply it will only rely on the target %. What stopped working is the "Preferred charging time".
I didn't need a timer before. Meanwhile I found another thread with issues with another chargers, and that might be the issue. I'm using a Juice Booster, or a Tesla Wall Charger, and tomorrow will try the PMCC. If it works, the issue is localized. The SW engineering team. Just another one.
I use a PMCC and have always needed a profile (non General) and a departure timer to restrict charging to 85% and to charge only between 00:00 and 07:00. Been using this setup for the past 16 months without issue. I also use another profile for another location which has a non Porsche EVSE and has also worked flawlessly.

From my perspective nothing has changed.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Optimized simply relates to blending solar energy with grid energy and nothing to do with anything else. To use this feature you need a) a HEM (Home Energy Manager) and b) solar supply to mix with grid.
That’s not 100% correct. If you’re using a profile, your choices are optimized or preferring times. If you don’t want preferred times, then your only choice is optimized. So, while it may have other intentions, those are not the only use cases. I think there are many people here, myself included, that use a profile set to optimized without any integration with other devices because the behavior in that case fits out use case of charging to a set amount as soon as we plug in.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I use a PMCC and have always needed a profile (non General) and a departure timer to restrict charging to 85% and to charge only between 00:00 and 07:00. Been using this setup for the past 16 months without issue. I also use another profile for another location which has a non Porsche EVSE and has also worked flawlessly.

I do not think you really need a profile to achieve this. If there is enough time between 00:00 and 07:00 with the available power to charge to 85%? I have used the settings without any profile to charge to 85% at 07.00 for nearly 2 years now and it has worked to 99%. I have 11 kW available and really would like to cahrge between 02:00 and 07:00 only, to avail of the low rate electricty. But sometimes it has started earlier whe¨n the SOC has been low.

And I have done so with both a Tesla Wall Connector (11 kW ) and the PMCC. No difference in functionality at all. They are both just a glorified relay to be honest.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I do not think you really need a profile to achieve this. If there is enough time between 00:00 and 07:00 with the available power to charge to 85%? I have used the settings without any profile to charge to 85% at 07.00 for nearly 2 years now and it has worked to 99%. I have 11 kW available and really would like to cahrge between 02:00 and 07:00 only, to avail of the low rate electricty. But sometimes it has started earlier whe¨n the SOC has been low.

And I have done so with both a Tesla Wall Connector (11 kW ) and the PMCC. No difference in functionality at all. They are both just a glorified relay to be honest.
Saves the guess work plus over-run and depends on what starting SOC - so if 15% and you need 85% then on a single phase supply you will need all of that window (within off peak period).

bihus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

I used to be fine with just the profile. But now it says that it will be ready tomorrow at the end of the preferred time, and keeps "waiting". I even created a timer to see if it would start, but no luck.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do not think you really need a profile to achieve this. If there is enough time between 00:00 and 07:00 with the available power to charge to 85%?
It’s worse than that. The timer will override the profile’s preferred time and start earlier if it needs to.

Here’s a pic of my car doing exactly that, just as an example. Location profile set to preferred times of 6pm-11pm. It’s 5pm now. Shouldn’t charge if the preferred times do not get overridden. I set the timer to 100% by 7pm (2 hours from now and I’m at 60%). It starts charging immediately.

The car has to start earlier to respect the departure time.

Porsche Taycan My car charges to 100% despite profiles/timers set to 80% - Advice? 1B8AA9BC-6B57-4200-9A62-1CF064B795B4
Sponsored