My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
If you are going to be on this board please add something constructive and helpful. Your repeating yourselves day after day adds absolutely no value to other owners. I am looking specifically at @epirali and @kort since you guys have to be the worst posters on this board.

I can't wait till both of you have 12v battery issues. At least you will whine over something different than the EA charging networks.
I think you are projecting here. Honestly if you think this is a “constructive post” then this board is in trouble. I’m one of the earliest Taycan owners in the US, I’ve owned EVs and have participated in many many forums for a very long time (right now I own 4 EVs), have shared and learned from many other early adopters. This kind of a post, wishing failure and calling valid observations “whining” is a first for me. Well outside of Tesla forums that is, but those I left quickly.

I suggest that considering you are so sure you are correct why not go enjoy your car, charge at all the working stations that we are ”whining” about and simply leave us in our delusion.
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seriously??? It is hard to tell if you are a anti-EV bot or a real Taycan owner. From what you posted so far in this thread you are not a person who should own an EV of any type.

Who wants multiple apps and accounts???? I don't even know how to respond to this comment because it is so ridiculous.
Perhaps you should review posts of other reviewers on the EA network. Here, I will provide you with a recent video on the EA network. You can skip the non EV related parts. Based on what I have seen of his reviews and your comments, he is far more knowledgeable and sophisticated than appears in your apparent polemics.

Facts please. There are multiple reports of EA issues. EA is not a dinky little outfit. It's spending more money, by far than anyone else on EV stations and under a consent order. EA has every incentive to gets its operations correct, and if it takes a little or lot of criticism to do so. Well that is just fine. And EA has every incentive to get it right. It cost VAG 12 billion dollars to settle the emissions scandal with 2 billion going to the creation of an EV charging network to promote electric vehicles. If it can build a successful network and IPO it, maybe it can make back some or all of its costs and maybe make a profit.

The EV market is long past the days of the early adopters and the charging part needs to be fixed.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps you should review posts of other reviewers on the EA network. Here, I will provide you with a recent video on the EA network. You can skip the non EV related parts. Based on what I have seen of his reviews and your comments, he is far more knowledgeable and sophisticated than appears in your apparent polemics.

Facts please. There are multiple reports of EA issues. EA is not a dinky little outfit. It's spending more money, by far than anyone else on EV stations and under a consent order. EA has every incentive to gets its operations correct, and if it takes a little or lot of criticism to do so. Well that is just fine. And EA has every incentive to get it right. It cost VAG 12 billion dollars to settle the emissions scandal with 2 billion going to the creation of an EV charging network to promote electric vehicles. If it can build a successful network and IPO it, maybe it can make back some or all of its costs and maybe make a profit.

The EV market is long past the days of the early adopters and the charging part needs to be fixed.
Amen to that !!

Just watched the whole video. Interesting and informative.

Last edited:

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
all you need to know about Porsche's commtment to EV' is encapsulated in this press release…

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35577611/porsche-synthetic-efuel-clean-emissions-testing/

ummmm - I'm willing to bet this is energy negative - in that is uses more energy than it stores to make the fuel…and is worse the fool-cells…

all I see is someone hedging their bets…where if they were truly committed they'd wouldn't have screwed up the roll out…

say what you will about Tesla, they are not half-assed when it comes to EV commitment.
Hmmm. Synthetic fuels? I wonder how that infrastructure will roll out.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Amen to that !!

Just watched the whole video. Interesting and informative.
@ 0.51 was what I looked like X8 when I couldn't get a unit to initiate a charge. He is 100% spot on!
what was that about user error?

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The problem appears to lie across the entire VAG line. Porsche, Volkswagen, Audi? The left hand not talking to the right hand and they own the guy in the middle. Hence multiple APPS.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The problem appears to lie across the entire VAG line. Porsche, Volkswagen, Audi? The left hand not talking to the right hand and they own the guy in the middle. Hence multiple APPS.
apparently it is user error that is causing the charging issues, as per the experts here.
that is an unfortunate acronym;)

Last edited:

Armyav8tor

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Not trying to pour gasoline on the fire or whatever the electric version of that figure of speech is.... but tried the EA charger for the first time and ended with mixed results. Good news is that it charged, bad news is I don't know if it was a "complimentary" charge or if the ChargingAmerica app actually worked. I'm thinking it was the former because I don't see anything in the charge history and the app kept giving me an error when I tried to initiate the charge even though I can hear all the noises coming from the charge station and car after I plugged in. This was the 350kW charger in Athens, AL which I just checked the app and is now showing as 0/2 available, so I probably broke it or they realized it was giving free charges and took it offline. So here's how I initiated the charge; I plugged in the charging cable and then hit the "Start charging" button in the app, and despite the error message on the app, the station started charging the car. I did this at both 350kW stations and they both did the same.

Other than that, I went with the volcano grey because I didn't want attention but man, the car was breaking necks and while I was at the charger, people were stopping and asking about it. Talked to one dude for 15 minutes, he was looking at Teslas for his wife and asked for my advice. I told him to get a Tesla, LOL. Explained to him all the issues I've been reading in the forums. :p

Porsche Taycan My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail! IMG_7202

Porsche Taycan My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail! IMG_7203

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

the video is awesome - review is spot on! VW/Audi/Porsche has a serious room for improvement

video is awesome!

results are:

?‍♂

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag

Good video. But, nothing new or groundbreaking in it. Most of what the dude shared has been covered ad nauseum. It is simply one video from one online reviewer.

Conversely, a member of this forum broke the record for the canon ball run from NYC to LA in a Taycan 4s two months ago and used the EA network. That video is on Youtube as well. So, it worked just fine for that online reviewer. He broke a speed and distance record using the EA charging network that many on here complain about, but have little to no experience using. I would say that video holds more merit than what you shared since that forum member actually used a Taycan and used the EA network and did something no other EV has done.

I have no issues with saying that the EA network needs some improvement, expansion, and needs to mak the handshake process easier. But, it does not need to be reiterated daily on the forum. I think we all get that. Plus, the bulk of the complains shared on this board about EA come from inexperience using the charging network, not faults from EA.

There are numerous posters on this board that have over 10,000 miles on their Taycan from doing numerous long distance road trips - I am one of them. That being said, we have moved on from a daily discussion on the EA network to trying to share useful info on the driving aspects of the vehicle - like vehicle efficiency, or how the vehicle operates in particular conditions.

Finally, that volcano gray Taycan in the pictures above is pretty bad ass.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good video. But, nothing new or groundbreaking in it. Most of what the dude shared has been covered ad nauseum. It is simply one video from one online reviewer.

Conversely, a member of this forum broke the record for the canon ball run from NYC to LA in a Taycan 4s two months ago and used the EA network. That video is on Youtube as well. So, it worked just fine for that online reviewer. He broke a speed and distance record using the EA charging network that many on here complain about, but have little to no experience using. I would say that video holds more merit than what you shared since that forum member actually used a Taycan and used the EA network and did something no other EV has done.

I have no issues with saying that the EA network needs some improvement, expansion, and needs to mak the handshake process easier. But, it does not need to be reiterated daily on the forum. I think we all get that. Plus, the bulk of the complains shared on this board about EA come from inexperience using the charging network, not faults from EA.

There are numerous posters on this board that have over 10,000 miles on their Taycan from doing numerous long distance road trips - I am one of them. That being said, we have moved on from a daily discussion on the EA network to trying to share useful info on the driving aspects of the vehicle - like vehicle efficiency, or how the vehicle operates in particular conditions.

Defending the indefensible? You still don't get it. EV's are going mainstream. All kinds of people with little or great experience are buying them and you want to brush them off with user error? Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche have it within their power to fix the situation. Then we can all concentrate on the great car which it is. Or do I not have enough stars to meet your standards?

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I have 8300 miles. I am at a 41kWh/100 this cycle, very good for this charge. Car is clean and all the salt is removed. Should get about 190 miles for this cycle (100% charged).

12V issue all good so far since the discharge.

There, sharing some "useful" and positive information.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Defending the indefensible? You still don't get it. EV's are going mainstream. All kinds of people with little or great experience are buying them and you want to brush them off with user error? Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche have it within their power to fix the situation. Then we can all concentrate on the great car which it is. Or do I not have enough stars to meet your standards?

James:

No offense, man, but I do not know what you are talking about. No one is defending anything here, and there is no disagreement that the EA network needs improvement.

My issue for the past couple of days is that this forum has transitioned from a location to where people shared useful information about the Taycan, and its performance, to one where people continually complain about the EA network, or other nit picky things. There was a 4 page thread the other day by someone who complained about 2 failed charging sessions, but it was user error, not the EA network. The person had no experience using the EA network, but felt the need to broadcast the failure. They have yet to own up that they are at fault. Mercifully, the thread was locked once that person began to insult one of the more informed posters on this forum.

At the end of the day we all like our cars, and we need the charging infrastructure to improve, but sharing non-factual complaints about a charging session multiple times a week does not help anyone. Also, feel free to lose the "Richard" tone while responding. No one said anything negative about you. I got corrected on another thread, and thanked the person who provided me with the information. It shouldn't be that hard.
Sponsored