Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Interesting. I actually prefer the clean lines of the Taycan’s rear. I had considered waiting for the Audi but am happy with my choice. Although I do prefer the Taycan’s looks, the Audi is super nice as well. Can’t go wrong with either. Everyone has different tastes - makes the world a much more interesting place.
I agree that the Audi's rear looks a bit cluttered. It looks better from the front.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
They sold the RS in Ascari Blue I was supposed to test drive, but I drove the GT.

The launch is insanely fast, like the 4s , ride is very smooth and probably the most impressive part.
I didn't feel the shifting into 2nd gear like I do with the Taycan, but I could be imaging things.
Taycan steering that gives much better feedback.
I took a twisty road at 60mph when the tires started slipping so I had to slow down. This also happened when I took a corner hot.
The interior feels very cramped compared to a Taycan.
It was a bit refreshing to use the AC buttons though.

Penske dealers can't mark up cars so they were at window.
I liked the red better than the Ascari Blue which wasn't as bright as I expected.

This RS has the 1st year package as you can see with the red seat belts
Porsche Taycan NA E-Tron GT 20210716_141203

The car gets a lot of looks
Porsche Taycan NA E-Tron GT 20210716_142611

When I showed my GF the car, she thought the Audi A7 was the E-Tron GT
Porsche Taycan NA E-Tron GT 20210716_141257

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
They sold the RS in Ascari Blue I was supposed to test drive, but I drove the GT.

The launch is insanely fast, like the 4s , ride is very smooth and probably the most impressive part.
I didn't feel the shifting into 2nd gear like I do with the Taycan, but I could be imaging things.
I took a twisty road at 60mph when the tires started slipping so I had to slow down. This also happened when I took a corner hot.

Penske dealers can't mark up cars so they were at window.
I liked the red better than the Ascari Blue which wasn't as bright as I expected.

This RS has the 1st year package as you can see with the red seat belts
20210716_141203.jpg

The car gets a lot of looks
20210716_142611.jpg

When I showed my GF the car, she thought the Audi A7 was the E-Tron GT
20210716_141257.jpg
Thanks for the driving impressions and for the pics. Still looks better from the front than from the rear.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag

I relinquished my 9/24 build date last week after combing over and driving the e-tron GT. I had previously had a Taycan CT4 on order. Going hat-in-hand back to my Porsche dealer, if he'll have me. ?

Here are my impressions:
  • The car is as good looking in person as it is in pictures. Stunning, but maybe a bit busy in the detail. Wheel choices, IMO, are all bad. The 20" wheels are terrible.
  • The interior is where I ran into trouble. Feels more cramped than the Taycan; dashboard is intrusively deep, vents stick out in the corners, too much piano black, no storage, center arm rest didn't suit me, tiny phone charger slot. Not nearly enough space for "Grand Touring".
  • I don't like the virtual cockpit or the central MMI. I currently have an e-tron SUV and the screens are identical. Both are, IMO, lackluster in usability and appearance and reminders of Audi being stuck in the past.
  • When I first drove the Taycan, I found the steering to be exceptional. e-tron steering is same old boring Audi fair. Not bad, but why settle?
  • Quality of materials not up to the Porsche standards. Dinamica (alcantara) interior is OK, but far from premium. Leather nothing special either.
  • I also didn't notice the shift on launch. Handling was good and ride was great on 20" wheels. Noise levels comparable to Taycan.
  • Ordering an e-tron GT was an exercise in compromise; pre packaged options and no real choices. Porsche, for all the negativity, allows you to pick and chose exactly what you want. My next CT order will undercut the "value" proposition e-tron GT by $6,000.
Why did I give up my slot? Nothing wowed me. Same old Audi everything, but I sensed a bit of corner cutting on the materials. Got back into my e-tron Edition One and it was like getting back into my own car from a service loaner; just plain nicer. Wasn't even a doubt in my mind when I cancelled. When I drove the Taycan, I wanted one. When I drove the e-tron, no fizz. None at all.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I relinquished my 9/24 build date last week after combing over and driving the e-tron GT. I had previously had a Taycan CT4 on order. Going hat-in-hand back to my Porsche dealer, if he'll have me. ?

Here are my impressions:
  • The car is as good looking in person as it is in pictures. Stunning, but maybe a bit busy in the detail. Wheel choices, IMO, are all bad. The 20" wheels are terrible.
  • The interior is where I ran into trouble. Feels more cramped than the Taycan; dashboard is intrusively deep, vents stick out in the corners, too much piano black, no storage, center arm rest didn't suit me, tiny phone charger slot. Not nearly enough space for "Grand Touring".
  • I don't like the virtual cockpit or the central MMI. I currently have an e-tron SUV and the screens are identical. Both are, IMO, lackluster in usability and appearance and reminders of Audi being stuck in the past.
  • When I first drove the Taycan, I found the steering to be exceptional. e-tron steering is same old boring Audi fair. Not bad, but why settle?
  • Quality of materials not up to the Porsche standards. Dinamica (alcantara) interior is OK, but far from premium. Leather nothing special either.
  • I also didn't notice the shift on launch. Handling was good and ride was great on 20" wheels. Noise levels comparable to Taycan.
  • Ordering an e-tron GT was an exercise in compromise; pre packaged options and no real choices. Porsche, for all the negativity, allows you to pick and chose exactly what you want. My next CT order will undercut the "value" proposition e-tron GT by $6,000.
Why did I give up my slot? Nothing wowed me. Same old Audi everything, but I sensed a bit of corner cutting on the materials. Got back into my e-tron Edition One and it was like getting back into my own car from a service loaner; just plain nicer. Wasn't even a doubt in my mind when I cancelled. When I drove the Taycan, I wanted one. When I drove the e-tron, no fizz. None at all.
Well said and exactly my opinion.

One thing I do like is the pre packaged part of Audi.
I like custom options like the deviated stitching or leather on the side of the seats, but on a $150k car, the puddle lights should be standard

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know somebody who test drove an Etron Gt and the whole time during the drive there was an error message on the instrument cluster about a charging error but of course the car wasn't connected to a charger while driving. The dealer had no clue why.
Software bugs from day zero..

Btw I was browsing an Audi etron forum and over there every was describing why they like the etron more than the Taycan. Forums are biased.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
As I’ve said elsewhere I used to be very much an “Audi” guy and not Porsche pre-Taycan. So if I have a bias it was for Audi. But I am losing that and this pairing has really underscored this for me. The Taycan is simply better incarnation, the Audi is just too much “standard” Audi. And I am sorry but Audi has gone from a luxury understated brand to sharp edges kid car blinky light design brand with conservative interiors.

They have a big audience, but they are not “my” Audi. I would say the one gen back from the last Audi R8 design was the tail end of that era. I even refused to get the final “refresh” of the R8 because it became too much like this design and lost some of its elegance.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Btw I was browsing an Audi etron forum and over there every was describing why they like the etron more than the Taycan. Forums are biased.
I’m on the Audi forums as well. Have owned Porsche, but this would have been my 12th Audi. I decided not to post the negative there. Don’t want to be that guy. e-tron GT is a great car with plenty to like, just not for me. Don’t want to cast a shadow over anyone’s enjoyment.

Goldeneyez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GL350
Country flag
I visited a SoCal Audi dealership yesterday while awaiting my Taycan RWD. I didn’t drive it - wasn’t that interested, just wanted to see it. I thought the interior looks better and less cluttered in person than online, but I much overall prefer the exterior and interior of the Taycan. The e-tron GT just isn’t as striking or sexy as the Taycan. I can confirm that the dealership I visited was also expecting $30k over MSRP, and the manager apparently won’t budge….which is why the cars are still on the lot.

Reactions: B61

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Drove one in Socal also yest. I liked the drive comfort overall except the steering feel. I hate the big faux grill in front. What pissed me off though was the price, $147k for non RS, marked up with random stuff like 'ceramic coating applied' etc

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
They can probably mark up given how few Taycans are currently on the lots and probably not many e-trons either.
I was talking to my SA yesterday and they only have 1 Taycan and 1 Panamera left in stock for sale. They are running low even on Macans. He said that for the next year anyone who wants a Taycan will have to order and wait 6-9 months for the lower trims. The Turbos will take even longer.

So anyone who wants a premium German EV right away will have to pay the mark up.

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
Here are my impressions:
  • The interior is where I ran into trouble. Feels more cramped than the Taycan; dashboard is intrusively deep, vents stick out in the corners, too much piano black, no storage, center arm rest didn't suit me, tiny phone charger slot. Not nearly enough space for "Grand Touring"
The overload of piano black in modern cars is really bad, one of the reasons I like the Taycan over the GT.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My wife currently drives an Audi and likes the looks of the e-tron, so I checked it out at our local dealer. Nice car, but it's no Taycan. Anyone know what the paddles on the steering wheel do? The knucklehead sales guy was of course, clueless.

Which bring me to another point: I was in high tech sales for a long time and I made it a point to really bone up on the technology as it evolved and always be knowledgeable for the inevitable questions. Why are these car sales guys so willfully ignorant about the products they sell? Are they stupid or lazy or both? It's very frustrating.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My wife currently drives an Audi and likes the looks of the e-tron, so I checked it out at our local dealer. Nice car, but it's no Taycan. Anyone know what the paddles on the steering wheel do? The knucklehead sales guy was of course, clueless.

Which bring me to another point: I was in high tech sales for a long time and I made it a point to really bone up on the technology as it evolved and always be knowledgeable for the inevitable questions. Why are these car sales guys so willfully ignorant about the products they sell? Are they stupid or lazy or both? It's very frustrating.
The paddles are for regen, It goes 2 or 3 levels, it's a pretty silly way of doing it and misleading.

US EV sales are a compliance play so dealers are not incentivized to sell them.
Porsche is the only legacy OEM that tries with EVs, IMO
Sponsored