DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If they just had a web UI or API for fetching the stats, I'd consider pulling my NEMA outlet and Wallbox combo for it.

I'm a stats junkie lately as I work on my Chargey app.

Even the shitty Porsche EVSEs gave me a web UI with some bare-bones kWh stats I was able to capture.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
If they just had a web UI or API for fetching the stats, I'd consider pulling my NEMA outlet and Wallbox combo for it.

I'm a stats junkie lately as I work on my Chargey app.

Even the shitty Porsche EVSEs gave me a web UI with some bare-bones kWh stats I was able to capture.
I understand.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Manyana

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
, 718 Spyder, Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Dave, am I correct that buying a J1772 connector to use with a Tesla wall mount or destination charger will work on my Taycan.
in Oz we have plenty of DC chargers on the East Coast but head west and there are very few.
There are hotels, motels etc. that have Tesla destination chargers which would be great to be able to use, especially if there is nothing else!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Or perhaps more appropriate....

Repurpose4.jpg
I don't have one, but could you mount the Tesla Wall charger inside and add a J1772 holder in the hole, so you hang your plug there? You'd lose the LED status from the Tesla EVSE, unless you made a special window for it (or some light guides if you're skilled in this kind of fabrication).

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dave, am I correct that buying a J1772 connector to use with a Tesla wall mount or destination charger will work on my Taycan.
in Oz we have plenty of DC chargers on the East Coast but head west and there are very few.
There are hotels, motels etc. that have Tesla destination chargers which would be great to be able to use, especially if there is nothing else!
I do not know anything about eV charging in Australia - my apologies. I can not answer your question.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
so good news - bad news - Tesla is Tesla - they make great tech but their business practices "suck" - I ordered a 2nd J-1772 Gen3 Wall Charger - and they shipped me a "normal" Tesla GEN3 Wall Charge (I've filed for an RMA) - but this is Tesla so who knows…great Tech - terrible company…

but their accident/fault is our opportunity - I've set it up and paried it with my GEN3 J-1772 charger

so the upshot of this posting is as expected GEN3 Tesla + GEN3 J-1772 appear to play nice with each other - and last night I charged my Taycan + Cayenne at the same time (Cayenne via my TeslaTap mini) - and charging load was "shared" across the shared capacity electrical circuits and both EV's charged simultaniously and split the charging load between the two EVSE's.

so the new J-1772 GEN3 Wall EVSE and the Tesla GEN3 Wall EVSE can be mixed/matched and appear to work fine as part of the "powersharing" feature that both support.

that is all!

the "multi-coat" red face plate (which I ordered for this 2nd charger) is a dead ringer for Porsche's Carmine Red - so the EVSE matches my wife's 911 Covertable (which is not electric) but is on her side of the garage - I'm silly and shallow but the colored faceplate option brings me great joy for my EVSE's in the garage.

NOTE: powersharing requires both EVSE's to be joined to the same wifi network - but that appears to be the only functionality for WiFi with these EVSE's - no remote status, no remote control, no statistics, no configuration (for security), just power sharing & software update.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
screen shots of the web-portal UI for those that are curious - I've included the power sharing screens /(really simple/easy to setup) - and one charger is charging Taycan while other is idle - you can see they are full 48 amp (60 amp breaker) devices, but splitting 100 amps total between them.

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review IMG_0434

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review IMG_0435.PNG

Porsche Taycan [North America] - Get your Tech from a Tech company… Tesla J-1772/Universal charger review IMG_0436.PNG