Only getting around 130 miles range

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
I have the 93kwh 4S and I mostly just drive locally however I have noticed that my consumption is always around 1.2 miles per kwh or around 1.4 miles per kwh. I do have the heating on (without the AC) as it is winter in the UK at the moment however I expected a lot more than this. I find that I'm probably only getting around 120+ miles range from a full charge. I do get more if I go on the motorway however I expected a lot better for local journeys. Is anybody else experiencing the same?

The car is approximately 2 years old.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have the 93kwh 4S and I mostly just drive locally however I have noticed that my consumption is always around 1.2 miles per kwh or around 1.4 miles per kwh. I do have the heating on (without the AC) as it is winter in the UK at the moment however I expected a lot more than this. I find that I'm probably only getting around 120+ miles range from a full charge. I do get more if I go on the motorway however I expected a lot better for local journeys. Is anybody else experiencing the same?

Short journeys will be a battery killer especially in the cooler weather. Your consumption suggests this is what is going on.

What is the consumption data under Trip Total (best if you don't reset this to get an overall average)?

What is your typical journey distance?

What is the longest journey you've taken?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have the 93kwh 4S and I m
First of all, You have 83.7 kwh only.
Short drives, less than 20km in winter time, can take more than 30 kwh/100km…up to 40, when driving fast(er)….now do your math: 83:40:1,6 = 129 miles…

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
Performance battery+, Ambient temperature 8-10 degree c, City driving, Gentle right foot most of time. Is this fair to ok? 221 miles.

Porsche Taycan Only getting around 130 miles range Screenshot_20230217-105342_My Porsche

Last edited:

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag

120 miles something not right. You may sit in the car stationary most time with heating on. That is what the GOM estimate your range.

Last edited:

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Choose "Trip" in righthand instrument cluster tube, select current trip. Observe how average consumption starts high (often above 100 kWh/100 km) and creeps downwards. For me now in winter, it mostly does not go below 30 until after 10 to 15 km, even with rather slow country road driving.

Edit: the car has a lot to warm up each time it starts cold. And contrary to an ICE car, almost all the energy has to be taken from the battery and it shows up as consumption (a heat pump helps). With ICE, there is so much surplus heat from the combustion that is far less noticable. The engine takes some extra fuel for warm-up, but proportionally a lot less.

Last edited:

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
I got the same car (4s more or less 2 year old)

I live in Paris. If i only take my car for very short trip in congested areas i get around 180-200 miles.

My range goes up if i do more suburban or highway

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Seems like something is off…2022 Taycan Base without performance battery plus. When I’m at a 100% state of charge (even though the guessometer states 260) I’m getting at least 200 miles plus in city driving with AC on. I recently made it to Cocoa Beach with AC on and traveling at about 80 mph…just shy of 200 miles. I seem to do a little better around town at low speeds with recuperation versus the straight highway speeds of 75 mph plus without much braking.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Regarding to "Without AC" AFAIK Heat Pump is only working when AC ON, so the advantage of the Heat Pump is out of game with AC off lowering range as well. Not huge, but some. On English weather using Heat Pump could be very effective.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
First of all, You have 83.7 kwh only.
Short drives, less than 20km in winter time, can take more than 30 kwh/100km…up to 40, when driving fast(er)….now do your math: 83:40:1,6 = 129 miles…
Agreed but you should explain net battery Vs gross battery where net available is 83.7 from a Performance Battery Plus.

Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Regarding to "Without AC" AFAIK Heat Pump is only working when AC ON, so the advantage of the Heat Pump is out of game with AC off lowering range as well. Not huge, but some. On English wether using Heat Pump could be very effective.
AC also uses a compressor and so when off this is also saving energy. All UK cars have a heat pump.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
AC also uses a compressor and so when off this is also saving energy. All UK cars have a heat pump.
Porsche says Heat Pump is ONLY working with "Activated air-conditioning". Means Heat Pump is only saving energy when AC is activated. That is a different thing AC OFF saving energy by not using the compressor.
I am confused with it a bit, since -according to the description- HP is only working with AC ON, that uses a compressor that uses extra energy....

So should we keep AC ON below 20C to enable HP or saving energy of compressor with AC OFF and not using HP that questioning the meaning of the HP at the same time (???)

It seems to me the (AC) compressor is an active part of the the HP system that is why it should be kept on, otherwise it became a deactivated/useless equipment of the car .

--- @f1eng level advice needed ---
Porsche Taycan Only getting around 130 miles range Kép. 2023. 02. 17. - 15.42

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

I get about 1.2 miles per kWh on short 2-5 mile journeys in winter, most of the power goes into warming the traction battery enough for it to work well and warming the cabin. It helps a lot to charge for an hour or so before you need to drive since the warming of the battery is then partly done by mains power.
On longer ~40 mile runs on country roads this improves to 2.5 m/kWh.
Sponsored