ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am sorry to hear about your problem. Did you take it to the dealer? They can pull the error codes and get an idea of what component triggered the error.
Actually I was waiting for a call back today. I will be more persistent tomorrow. Thank you for the encouragement Chris. I did drive it again today, no issues.
Sponsored

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you Doc.
I am thinking it's software. My milage is now just over 6000 miles in 3 months.
I think (hope) you’re right. Hope the car stays “righted” now. My dealer now says the fabled update is most likely second quarter, but possibly March if we’re lucky. Let’s see if that sorts this out.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well so much for Stealth being unscathed by the frightening error codes. This evening after driving just 7 miles and stopping to shop for about 45min. Returning to car and unable to put into drive. Right dial initially shows info screen then changes to “Electrical system error - Service required”.

3ED206DC-BF24-470E-803D-3845C370AE7B.jpeg

Turned off and on several times with the same error and unable to drive. I was able to See that the 12 V battery was at 13.2 and dropped to 13.1 if I turned off the headlights. But never drops below that.

We locked And left of the car for five minutes and returned with no improvement to the situation.

Was able to open the frunk And used my battery booster on the 12 V battery. Able to get it to 13.3 V but with no additional success. My daughter picked up my wife and groceries while I called for Porsche vehicle support for a tow. While waiting I went for a bit of a walk and upon returning about 10 minutes later the vehicle error no longer occurred and all was fine again. Cancel the tow and will contact the dealership tomorrow.

I must say that this experience does not fill me with confidence. I do hope for a decent software update soon as we Are planning a camping trip the end of March.

I know there are many threads on approximately this topic, mostly getting the approximate error while driving, which would be much more frightening. So I see no reason to start a new thread unless I have some fabulous news. Will keep you posted.
Sorry for your hassles, but I gotta say I love the Night Vision assist. Super glad I've ordered it for mine after seeing this on yours.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry for your hassles, but I gotta say I love the Night Vision assist. Super glad I've ordered it for mine after seeing this on yours.
Yes, I really like it also. On a quiet back road at 10pm with triple digits and night vision to assist for another second or so notice in case of a deer.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually I was waiting for a call back today. I will be more persistent tomorrow. Thank you for the encouragement Chris. I did drive it again today, no issues.
I did get the callback today with an apology for their delayed voicemail system.

After explaining my problem he thought as I do really that it was a momentary glitch. And I do have an appointment for March 9th, when I asked about the software update that's coming he mentioned it was probably out a little ways. For right now I will not worry about it too much, as long as it's not a downpour when I need to get out of the car for 15 minutes to have it clear itself. If it does happen again it will go in immediately, but I really am not expecting that at this time. I've started at several times since the occurrence and no issues.

My service appointment is for "Missing Range Mode configuration" option in PCM (Suck at 80mph max) and believed excessive Air Suspension recharges. Nothing too significant so I may end up delaying it awaiting the software update.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wanted to say that Quite Mysteriously my "Range Mode Configuration" menu had reappeared on Friday March 5th, over 1 month since appearing on Jan 29th and just 4 days prior to a Service Appointment to look into it. I also was going to have them check on my one-time unable to put car into drive problem that has not reoccured after a few weeks and my suspected air suspension leak, but may be normal. At any rate I decided to just cancel the appointment for tomorrow and postpone for 1 month awaiting "the" first major S/W update. My timing seems to be valid, update seems to be planned for last week of March. I will go in on the 8th after they practice on some other cars. See this exciting thread, wireless CarPlay, PodCasts, Lyrics, and smart lift. Can't wait. And some silly stuff like improved chassis-control application, who would care about that with a Porsche? :rolleyes:

I now have Range Mode set to 85mph max and I love the car. I may be doing a special project coming up...
Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taycan Trip to Loneliest Road in America (Hwy 50)

Only travelled on approximately a 120mi section of Hwy 50, as I planned sightseeing and charging infrastructure is indeed spotty.

Stealth Photos along the way: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-of-your-taycan-with-scenery.2117/post-60897

Tools used:
  • A Better Route Planner with Taycan 4S Large Batt selection and 250Wh/mi @ 65mph (which is needed because it seems to underestimate usable battery size) and California spring temps. ~50F-65F.
  • PlugShare to check on health of chargers and any recent complaints. It’s the Yelp of EV Charging. :)
  • Waze to predict the location of friendly people with pretty flashing lights.
Summary at bottom of post, sorry for

DescriptionDist (mi)Elev (ft)Details
San Jose CA to Vacaville CA Outlets99200 - 200Started Batt at 87% (as charges past this point were problematic) Arrived at
EA Charging: Arrival 89F/60F 48%-81% 31kWh 17m Avg 109kW
Exactly as predicted by ABRP with 250Wh/mi @ 65mph
WalkDid a half mile walk around outlet stores.
Vacaville CA to Truckee CA130200 - 6600 - 5800One aborted charge after 4min (reported to EA) and 2nd charge was slower than it should be (reported to EA)
EA Charging: 89F/43F 12%-29% 15kWh for 4m Avg 225kW (Failed)
and restart 29%-74% 38kWh 21m Avg: 109kW (Slowish)
Truckee CA - Reno NV695800 - 4500 - 5900 - 4500First went to hike at Galena Creek Trail and went to Costco
Stay 1 nt in RenoNo nearby charging at the chosen hotel.
Reno NV to Fernley NV374500 - 4200Routed using Porsche Connect App which did not trigger battery Preheating :-( Arriving with Batt at F I was not driving this leg or I may have noticed. Did shopping at Walmart and left pretty much when done with business.
EA Charging: 62F/58F 36%-72% 31kWh 28m Avg: 66kW
Fernley NV to Fallon NV284200 - 4000Tested charging in town while walking in the area
ChargePoint Free 50kW: 63%-76% 13kWh 16m Avg: 47kW
Visited the museum, had lunch.5The Churchill Museum is excellent in Fallon NV
Fallon NV to Shoe Tree474000 - 4600Visited Shoe Tree ~40 mi outside of town. Highway driving at reasonably high rates of speed. :)
Shoe Tree to Fallon NV504600 - 4000Visited Sand Mountain Recreational Area on return. Needed a bit of charge again with Shoe tree being so far out.
Rested in the car during this charge.
ChargePoint Free 50kW: 31%-56% 22.2kWh 29m Avg: 45kW
Fallon NV to Virginia City NV574000 - 6200Opportunistic charge during visit to town 1 block off main st..
Tesla Dest Charger Courthouse Free 9kW: 30%-38% 7.2kWh 45m
Virginia City NV to Carson City NV166200 - 4800Unloaded at the hotel and parked the car at the charger for the evening just 2 blocks away.
ChargePoint Free 6kW: 37%-99% 63kWh 12h (preheat cabin and idle time as departure time set)
Stay 1 nt Carson City NV104800 - 5300 - 4800Hiked in the morning and visited a great Railroad Museum in town.
Saw the mysterious “WBA limited” warning on the driver console and it went away after hike.
Looking forward to my April 12th SW update.
Carson City NV to San Jose CA2364800 - 8500 - 200Left town with 93% arrived SJ with 20%, 270Wh/mi avg.

Summary:
  • Total Distance 777mi
  • Total Charging: 220kWh, Est recovery to departure charge: 63kWh
    Figuring 10% charging loss so 255kWh used, Average: 328Wh/mi,
  • Range at estimated 85kWh battery: 259mi.
  • Speeds, flow of traffic (if any) I can state that car easily does 5-15 over limit. :cool:
    I tried to always drive it like a Porsche, not an EV. I think my wife would agree…
  • Most freeway/highway driving was in Range Mode which was limited to 90mph when routing or 85mph when not routing. Passing on two lane roads accomplished by a quick twist of Sport Chrono dial to Normal or Sport, then triple digits easily obtained.
  • Next trip plan is Death Valley

Photos:
Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth 1617140795771

Porsche Taycan Please Welcome Stealth 1617138987098

Last edited:

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't think that this video deserves a thread if it's own as only a little shows a Taycan in this Norwegian EV Spotting video. But not just any Taycan.
A Chrome Wrapped Taycan.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update on Stealth, it's is at Porsche Service since Monday for the SW update and a few other items: (AC Compressor noise, Air Suspension refilling often, WBA Warning twice). They said 2-4 days, it was expected thanks to forum appends. :rolleyes:

Trying a Macan S in the meantime, it was a Panamera Hybrid last time. I must say none of these compare to my Taycan 4S, maybe a 911 would but sadly not offered me as a loaner :).

Some good news for Bay Area Folks, Electrify America West Wendover NV just opened TODAY!
This now completes a solid EA path from the Bay Area to Salt Lake City and Yellowstone.
That is an upcoming trip for us.

Also I have now ordered the Roof Rack & 520L box for camping trips in the Taycan. I will try to get some estimates on how it affects range whenI get it, due April 20th.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update on the update, software update that is.
Sadly heard Thursday that they needed one more day. Then Friday I heard that a controller got bricked and they have ordered the part, but not expected till May 1st. Ohh I am so sad. :confused:

I have a new Macan S, but it is no substitute for my Stealth. And the roof rack and box arrived in Bakersfield for me but I don’t have a Taycan to fetch them with...

This first major SW update is indeed problematic, sadly must be costing Porsche a pretty penny. I will try to remain upbeat.
I was signed up to take my Taycan to a Drive Electric Day event next weekend, looking very unlikely.

On a positive note, new ElectrifyAmerica opened in Napa at Outlet Stores. They seem to be keeping a good pace.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well no messages for a while. I wanted to say I was happy that the GM at dealership servicing my Taycan loaned me a Taycan 4S with 21" wheels to show at the Drive Electric event. @BayAreaKen was also there with his Taycan and I believe we had only one Tesla so Porsche ruled the show. I had some spirited drives outside the DEED event and impressed some folks.

The sad news is my car is still in service now passing 1 month for a software update awaiting a 2nd controller to attempt to isolate the issue. I have been attempting to escalate with PCNA and now to get advice from the dealership. They are not the dealership I purchased from but they have been very professional. I do not blame them in any way, I am disappointed that Porsche does not stage parts in the USA to avoid the delays of shipments from Germany and the customs delays. Also not sure how quickly techs at Porsche HQ get back to USA Service Techs when diagnosing more complex issues. Growing pains of a complex vehicle, but I cannot be terribly up beat at the moment.

Ron
Awaiting Part - No Estimate. :(

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why don't you use the lemon law to request a replacement?
Your car had that undiagnosed electrical error and it wouldn't start and now a fried module. This does not inspire confidence for the future.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why don't you use the lemon law to request a replacement?
Your car had that undiagnosed electrical error and it wouldn't start and now a fried module. This does not inspire confidence for the future.
I hear you Chris. Thanks for the Tip, I had seen I did qualify yesterday and I have actually used that threat with PCNA and hope tp have a supervisor call me tomorrow. I did spend a bit to get a full PPF and ceramic coat on the car. Actually I have really not lost confidence in the vehicle, I personally think they are all a bit buggy until they get the S/W development under control. Without hiring @louv to manage their QA Department it will probably take much longer too. :)

So far no call back from PCNA (only my calls to them) and the GM of the dealership has not responded to my email. My service advisor told me again today no estimate on part yet. :(

Now I just live vicariously though the efficiency numbers folks post on:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/what’s-your-taycan-efficiency.4445/
Sponsored