First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The following is a release from my dealer:

Announcement: Plug & Charge functionality in testing and not ready for customer use.

Currently we have been fielding questions about when Plug & Charge will be turned on for the US market. Despite the ability to toggle P&C on and off in the vehicle and in the Charging NA app, we recommend you inform your customers to keep Plug & Charge toggled off until we get the final testing results and that the full functionality is ready. If the customer turns the function on, there is an increased chance of failure for initiating a charging session. In the meantime, we continue to recommend the use of the Porsche Connect and Charging NA apps to initiate all Porsche Charging Service sessions.
Sponsored

triton99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got back from first EA charge on the new Taycan. Had Plug and Charge turned on. Drove up, plugged it in, saw it recognize the car, started charging, and 25 minutes later I unplugged and drove off. That was easy!

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
The following is a release from my dealer:

Announcement: Plug & Charge functionality in testing and not ready for customer use.

Currently we have been fielding questions about when Plug & Charge will be turned on for the US market. Despite the ability to toggle P&C on and off in the vehicle and in the Charging NA app, we recommend you inform your customers to keep Plug & Charge toggled off until we get the final testing results and that the full functionality is ready. If the customer turns the function on, there is an increased chance of failure for initiating a charging session. In the meantime, we continue to recommend the use of the Porsche Connect and Charging NA apps to initiate all Porsche Charging Service sessions.
Well.. I have it on in my car and have had 5 successful plug and play charging sessions without a hiccup in a row with EA... is this an official Porsche announcment or something from your dealer.. I haven't heard this from my dealer...

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Well.. I have it on in my car and have had 5 successful plug and play charging sessions without a hiccup in a row with EA... is this an official Porsche announcment or something from your dealer.. I haven't heard this from my dealer...
I'll just second this description of successful Plug & Charge experience. In my case it was 4 times in a row, never a problem, nor have I received any notice of problems.

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I believe this was a Porsche announcement dated March 27 to dealers. Not sure though. It doesn't state the app doesn't work at all, just it's not 'ready' yet, and you run a higher risk of failing to initiate a charging session if you have Plug & Charge activated.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I believe this was a Porsche announcement dated March 27 to dealers. Not sure though. It doesn't state the app doesn't work at all, just it's not 'ready' yet, and you run a higher risk of failing to initiate a charging session if you have Plug & Charge activated.
Good points, and my first P&C session was a couple of weeks after that date.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live a mile from Electrify America national headquarters, and I use the 350 kW DC chargers in their parking lot. Plug and charge does not work there yet, at least not on those chargers. (Model year 2020 Taycan, of course with WMA5 update.)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live a mile from Electrify America national headquarters, and I use the 350 kW DC chargers in their parking lot. Plug and charge does not work there yet, at least not on those chargers. (Model year 2020 Taycan, of course with WMA5 update.)
2020 does not support Plug and Charge even after WMA5 so the chargers in your location might support it.

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
For those of you who were able to successfully use Plug and Charge and live in the US...

Did any of you inadvertently order the 19.2 kW On-Board Charger ($1,680) and/or the 150 kW 400V On-Board Charger ($460)?

My 2021 TTS arrives in a few weeks and I was one of the unfortunate shmucks led to believe that both of these items would improve my charging experience, when in fact, not only will neither of them ever be used, but the very presence of one (or both?) of these items in the car causes a bug to manifest that makes Plug and Charge impossible.

The Porsche sales rep was unfamiliar with this particular glitch when I asked him about it yesterday. So again, my question for you is: If you got Plug and Charge working successfully, did you also forgo the 19.2 kW charging option? Or are you one of those who, like me, ended up with the option, but yet are able to charge with no problem?

Thanks!

Festus

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
My 2021 TTS arrives in a few weeks and I was one of the unfortunate shmucks led to believe that both of these items would improve my charging experience, when in fact, not only will neither of them ever be used, but the very presence of one (or both?) of these items in the car causes a bug to manifest that makes Plug and Charge impossible.
The issue is the 19.2kW Charger.

When was your freeze date? My dealer informed me of this issue on 3/6 and gave me the option to cancel the option.

I kept it. It’s not useless if you have a larger home charger and no plans for public charging.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

When was your freeze date? My dealer informed me of this issue on 3/6 and gave me the option to cancel the option.

I kept it. It’s not useless if you have a larger home charger and no plans for public charging.
Porsche has apparently backed off their original position of “we can’t fix it” to “we’re exploring options to fix it”.

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag

When was your freeze date?
My freeze date was some time in late February. My vehicle is on a boat, arriving in San Diego on May 8th.

My dealer informed me of this issue on 3/6 and gave me the option to cancel the option.
I wish my dealer would've shown me the same courtesy.

I split my time between two high-rise condos, one in Las Vegas and one in San Diego. Residents aren't allowed to install private chargers. There are plenty of public chargers, both in the condo garages and nearby malls. All of my charging will be done using public stations.

Although my sales rep knew my situation and should've steered me away from these useless (to me) options, I accept responsibility for not doing my own research. I was just excited about the car and was anxious to get my order in as soon as possible. My bad.

But the fact that having these silly options severely degrades the car by destroying Plug and Charge, a feature I actually was hoping to use, is absolutely infuriating to me. Haven't decided whether or not to accept delivery.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
My freeze date was some time in late February. My vehicle is on a boat, arriving in San Diego on May 8th.

I split my time between two high-rise condos, one in Las Vegas and one in San Diego. Residents aren't allow to install private chargers. There are plenty of public chargers, both in the condo garages and nearby malls. All of my charging will be done using public stations.

Although my sales rep knew my situation and should've steered me away from these useless (to me) options, I accept responsibility for not doing my own research. I was just excited about the car and was anxious to get my order in as soon as possible. My bad.

But the fact that having these silly options severely degrades the car by destroying Plug and Charge, a feature I actually was hoping to use, is absolutely infuriating to me. Haven't decided whether or not to accept delivery.
It’s an unfortunate situation for sure. There’s a possibility of a fix for P&C later this year, but nothing for sure. I hope things work out. Best of luck to you.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
tried plug and charge on my '21 4s with the software update. no go.
but that may have been because the unit itself was offline and EA had to reboot it.
A repair tech from EA was there and he said that he had just finished on that unit and someone prior to me charged on it. however it wasn't even on the app as active so EA had to reboot it again.
I'll try again sometime.
FWIW: this guy says that he works directly for the sub contractor to maintain all the units in central FL north.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

I split my time between two high-rise condos, one in Las Vegas and one in San Diego. Residents aren't allow to install private chargers. There are plenty of public chargers, both in the condo garages and nearby malls. All of my charging will be done using public stations.

It’s only the 19.2kW AC charger that currently impacts plug and charge. The 400V DC charger has no impact. You could always ask for financial compensation.
Sponsored