Plug and Charge

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It’s only the 19.2kW AC charger that currently impacts plug and charge. The 400V DC charger has no impact. You could always ask for financial compensation.
sounds like a group or class of taycan buyers were sold something that doesn't work and in addition in impedes upon another function that was promised.
I'm not an attorney but isn't that the beginning of a class action suit?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
sounds like a group or class of taycan buyers were sold something that doesn't work and in addition in impedes upon another function that was promised.
I’m not aware of any evidence that the 19.2kW charger doesn’t work. Just that it inhibits P&C.

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
I'd like to think so but realistically, the only people truly upset about this situation are guys like me who:

1. Use public chargers exclusively, or at least primarily, thus placing a high value on Plug and Charge, and....
  2. People who got taken by a smooth talking salesman and were too lazy to do their own research thereby ending up with an unwanted 19.2kW on-board charger.
Seems like the Venn diagram showing the intersection of these two groups would make for a pretty small class of people. I suspect the entire plaintiff class would consist of me and maybe two other hosers. Maybe all three of us can meet up at Olive Garden one day and discuss a strategy.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I'd like to think so but realistically, the only people truly upset about this situation are guys like me who:

1. Use public chargers exclusively, or at least primarily, thus placing a high value on Plug and Charge, and....
  2. People who got taken by a smooth talking salesman and were too lazy to do their own research thereby ending up with an unwanted 19.2kW on-board charger.
Seems like the Venn diagram showing the intersection of these two groups would make for a pretty small class of people. I suspect the entire plaintiff class would consist of me and maybe two other hosers. Maybe all three of us can meet up at Olive Garden one day and discuss a strategy.
We exist. I bought the 19.2kW charger because I need to charge at home in 4 hours. I also take a lot of road trips and will use the EA network frequently. There is still hope that they will fix it in software. If not, it’s possible they’ll do a hardware swap. Porsche has already said they will be offering 19.2kW upgrades to MY2020 in some markets since it wasn’t available in 2020.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Yeah, but maybe if you guys win, they’ll pay out to everyone with the 19.2kW, so I feel like I should contribute somehow.

I’ll buy the breadsticks.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
I’m sure this has been asked a million times but……..
1) plug and charge as of today does not work on MY 2020 correct?
2) has it been confirmed the P&C option will be enabled via software or hardware update at some point to MY 2020 cars?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m sure this has been asked a million times but……..
1) plug and charge as of today does not work on MY 2020 correct?
2) has it been confirmed the P&C option will be enabled via software or hardware update at some point to MY 2020 cars?
1) Correct
2) No confirmation, but it's unlikely at this point. The certificate isn't valid in the controller, and there doesn't appear to be a way to update each unit individually.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The following is a release from my dealer:

Announcement: Plug & Charge functionality in testing and not ready for customer use.

Currently we have been fielding questions about when Plug & Charge will be turned on for the US market. Despite the ability to toggle P&C on and off in the vehicle and in the Charging NA app, we recommend you inform your customers to keep Plug & Charge toggled off until we get the final testing results and that the full functionality is ready. If the customer turns the function on, there is an increased chance of failure for initiating a charging session. In the meantime, we continue to recommend the use of the Porsche Connect and Charging NA apps to initiate all Porsche Charging Service sessions.
could you point me to where I can find the toggle in the car menu and on the NA app?
thanks

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Lucid Air DE, Tesla 3
Country flag
Just getting caught up on this issue. I too have a '21 with 19.2kW charger and no P&C option. It has been a real headache with EA chargers, and I need to use them regularly. Any updates on the class action suit or otherwise? ;)

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I was not aware of the 19.2kw feature regression or whatever we want to call it. Though I ended up buying “off the lot”, I would’ve put it in my build anyway as I have a Tesla HPWC on a 100A circuit in my garage. I don’t anticipate charging that often on public infrastructure, but a broken feature is a broken feature and oughta be reminded/fixed.

It had better be a short/small meeting at Olive Garden, I learned many years ago that “unlimited breadsticks” apparently equals 4 baskets.

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
could you point me to where I can find the toggle in the car menu and on the NA app?
thanks
Charging NA app
  1. Tap the "hamburger" menu on the left side of the "find charging station" field.
  2. In the resulting "Porsche Charging Service" menu, tap on "My Vehicles"
  3. You'll see a "card" that shows you the current settings for your car. On my app, "Plug and Charge" is the last item. Tap anywhere on the card to bring up a form that lets you change the settings:
    1. The range of your vehicle (used for planning charging stops)
    2. The battery capacity of your vehicle (used for planning charging stops)
    3. The Plug Types you want to allow for charging stops
      1. Combo CCS
      2. Type 1
      3. CHAdeMO
      4. Domestic plug (home)
      5. Others
    4. Plug and charge is the last toggle.
      1. Switch it to "On".
In Car
(I have a US 2021 4S with the software updates)
  1. Go to the Charging Overview tab by either:
    1. tapping "Charging" in the main menu
    2. selecting the "Overview" tab along the top, or
    3. tapping the battery icon on the center console panel
    4. tapping the "Current Charge Level" heading on the resulting display on the center console panel
  2. While on the "Overview" tab, click on the "three dots" icon in the corner of the screen
  3. In the resulting list of settings, you'll see a selection to "Activate Plug and Charge" and another selection to enable a "Battery-Friendly Quick Charging" setting that adjusts the charging rate to extend battery life.
On a road trip in mid-May with EA stops in: Franklin, Tennessee (Nashville suburb), Bowling Green, Kentucky, Clarksville, Indiana, and Georgetown, Kentucky, I had decent success with Plug & Charge. Once or twice I needed to resort to using the Charging NA app to initiate charging. The rest of the time, Plug & Charge worked.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Charging NA app
  1. Tap the "hamburger" menu on the left side of the "find charging station" field.
  2. In the resulting "Porsche Charging Service" menu, tap on "My Vehicles"
  3. You'll see a "card" that shows you the current settings for your car. On my app, "Plug and Charge" is the last item. Tap anywhere on the card to bring up a form that lets you change the settings:
    1. The range of your vehicle (used for planning charging stops)
    2. The battery capacity of your vehicle (used for planning charging stops)
    3. The Plug Types you want to allow for charging stops
      1. Combo CCS
      2. Type 1
      3. CHAdeMO
      4. Domestic plug (home)
      5. Others
    4. Plug and charge is the last toggle.
      1. Switch it to "On".
In Car
(I have a US 2021 4S with the software updates)
  1. Go to the Charging Overview tab by either:
    1. tapping "Charging" in the main menu
    2. selecting the "Overview" tab along the top, or
    3. tapping the battery icon on the center console panel
    4. tapping the "Current Charge Level" heading on the resulting display on the center console panel
  2. While on the "Overview" tab, click on the "three dots" icon in the corner of the screen
  3. In the resulting list of settings, you'll see a selection to "Activate Plug and Charge" and another selection to enable a "Battery-Friendly Quick Charging" setting that adjusts the charging rate to extend battery life.
On a road trip in mid-May with EA stops in: Franklin, Tennessee (Nashville suburb), Bowling Green, Kentucky, Clarksville, Indiana, and Georgetown, Kentucky, I had decent success with Plug & Charge. Once or twice I needed to resort to using the Charging NA app to initiate charging. The rest of the time, Plug & Charge worked.
in the app #4 is not present
in the car # is not there either

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had a great experience with Plug and Charge today - worked great and went from 24% to 90% on my 30 mins time. I wonder why this feature is not on by defualt?

gentley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (sold), Taycan 4S
Country flag
I recently picked up my 4S and went for a short trip today to test the DC charging and Plug & Charge at the Electrify Canada station in Squamish, BC. Pulled in with the battery at 47% SoC and 31 degrees and left 23 mins later at 93%. Charging began at around 165kW and tapered off to around 65kW just before I unplugged. Plug & charge worked flawlessly - let’s hope this continues..!
Sponsored