Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Did an at-home test drive just now.

Pro's:
- The car is fairly fast - feels like a 4s 0-60, maybe even faster. My Audi S6 was 3.9s 0-60, and the Panamera 4S was tested at 3.7s. This felt on-par, mostly because of the instant torque of EV's.
- The car felt fairly sporty - not as sporty as an M3, or even Model 3P, but more than I expected. It handled well on turns, etc.. (mostly because EV's have a low center of gravity).
- The google-based car management system is very easy to use.

Con's
- The interior was simple and basic. I'd compare it to a well refined economy car (think Honda Civic). It's better than a Tesla, but is VERY basic (then again so is a Tesla Model 3 - not even having a garage opener). Those used to luxury cars will be disappointed. The car didn't have the upgraded interior (but had all other upgrades), so I can't comment on the fully upgraded interior option.
- The color options are terrible - all blacks/greys.
- Pricing wise, the one I test drive was $70k (before federal rebates but also without the $4k upgraded interior). Seemed a bit pricey, especially compared to a Tesla or Mach-E.

Overall, it wasn't a bad driving experience. It doesn't have the road presence or luxury of a Porsche, but would make a very decent daily driver - especially for those not looking for luxury or bold colors. Pricing wise, near $70k (before federal rebate), it seemed a tad bit pricey. I'm also worried about future resale (especially since very few know the brand and are specifically looking to buy a used Polestar).

For reference, they are doing $2k off MSRP on 2021 models and 0% financing. Combined with a $7,500 federal discount, it's not a terrible option, but not worth trading my Taycan for it (even with the $70-80k price difference). If I absolutely NEEDED to sell the Taycan, I'd consider it through. It's more unique than a Tesla or Mach-E and yet fast and sporty enough as a daily driver.

Porsche Taycan Polestar 2 20210924_120131
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
At $70k I would prefer to wait for the BMW i4 M50 which will have better performance and better brand appeal.
You can also find a few Ford Mach-e GTs at around 70k (61-65kMSRP + markup).

I recently looked for a second car and Mach-e is marked up, Toyota Rav4 Prime, Audi Q5e and BMW X3 plug-in hybrids are all sold out. The fact that they sell Polestars below MSRP at this market shows that it is not a desirable car. Reshare value might not be good.

Last edited:

Jonno1234

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2
Country flag
Just sold Polestar 2 that I've owned for the past year. Interior not stunning but the car itself was an excellent daily drive. Better feel than the jag or the audi both of which I test drove before going with the polestar. Ditto with the mach e,except that I drove it a few months ago out of curiosity. The polestar has a more distinctive appearance as well. I Have now ordered a CT4s which have test driven a number of times and will continue to do so until I get mine.The porshe without doubt is a better drive with a better interior and a much more distinctive design. Hands down. As you would expect. But don't downplay how good a CAR the PS2 actually is compared to the rest.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just sold Polestar 2 that I've owned for the past year. Interior not stunning but the car itself was an excellent daily drive. Better feel than the jag or the audi both of which I test drove before going with the polestar. Ditto with the mach e,except that I drove it a few months ago out of curiosity. The polestar has a more distinctive appearance as well. I Have now ordered a CT4s which have test driven a number of times and will continue to do so until I get mine.The porshe without doubt is a better drive with a better interior and a much more distinctive design. Hands down. As you would expect. But don't downplay how good a CAR the PS2 actually is compared to the rest.
How was the ownership (not driving experience)? Any software or reliability issues? Did OTA updates deliver important fixes? If you had to take the car for service did they provide a loaner?

Jonno1234

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2
Country flag
How was the ownership (not driving experience)? Any software or reliability issues? Did OTA updates deliver important fixes? If you had to take the car for service did they provide a loaner?
My local volvo dealer is only about 7 miles away. Prior to ota updates I had to take it in for a couple of updates with no issues. Connectivity was a bit spotty for the first couple of months but that improved. One piece of hardware replaced on a general recall......happens to everyone I think.......
Got a loaner from the dealer if they had one, a hire car (for free)if not. No problems at all with Polestar customer service which was responsive to any inquiries I had, most of which were in the first 6 mths and in the main borne out of my own inadequacy with tech.
Overall........Porsche won't do better.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The price is a bit steep, but take a look at the lease rates. They are very competitive against other EV's in it's class (Mach-E, Model Y, E-tron). My dad pays around $600 a month with zero down. It was several hundred a month less than his outgoing E-class lease. A base Model Y is about $700 a month, and a Mach-E is even higher.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The price is a bit steep, but take a look at the lease rates. They are very competitive against other EV's in it's class (Mach-E, Model Y, E-tron). My dad pays around $600 a month with zero down. It was several hundred a month less than his outgoing E-class lease. A base Model Y is about $700 a month, and a Mach-E is even higher.
That's a good point. Lease is the way to go at least in the US market.

Viswaa

First Name
Vis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan BMWi3s
Country flag
I test drove one few months ago. Liked it’s driving dynamics much better than some of the current BMW lineups. The rear seat space could have been better and the backend design could have been better. I felt like the interior was much better than Tesla M3. My wife and I decided Taycan is on a different level. So ordered a loaded CT4. Expecting delivery Dec10. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I test drive one few months ago. Liked it’s driving dynamics much better than some of the current BMW lineups. The rear seat space could have been better and the backend design could have been better. I felt like the interior was much better than Tesla M3. My wife and I decided Taycan is on a different level. So ordered a loaded CT4. Expecting delivery Dec10. Fingers crossed.
Frankly, it's not difficult to exceed Tesla's quality control with regards to interiors. That's the main reason why I walked away from the Tesla when I was EV shopping earlier in 2021. When friends asked me what I thought the Tesla was like, I said "it's an electric Datsun designed by 22-year olds." Only the 40+ agers will get the Datsun reference. But you know what I mean.

Thanks for the posts about this vehicle. I think with regards to the Polestar being a good daily driver and a car for a person who ISN'T looking for a "head-turner", it's a solid option. It fits solidly with Volvo's design ethos.

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Tested a PS2 a few months ago. It’s not bad, but it’s no inspiration either. It’s pretty fast but does not really feel fast. The ohlins suspension and better brakes are overkill since the PS2 drives as dynamic as my XC90 T8. The standard interior is ok’ish, the premium interior is a lot better. But still, it’s not as premium as the price tag would suggest. The colour choice is downright boring!

I went to the testdrive with the idea of ordering one for my wife, but we were pretty fast convinced this would not be the next one…
Two days later we tested the XC40 P8 (shares the same platform with the PS2). That one ticked all the boxes … better interior, feels faster and drives more dynamic. Ordered one right away ?. Dealer just informed me it has arrived and that he’ll drop it off at the detailer for ppf and coating.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Tested a PS2 a few months ago. It’s not bad, but it’s no inspiration either. It’s pretty fast but does not really feel fast. The ohlins suspension and better brakes are overkill since the PS2 drives as dynamic as my XC90 T8. The standard interior is ok’ish, the premium interior is a lot better. But still, it’s not as premium as the price tag would suggest. The colour choice is downright boring!

I went to the testdrive with the idea of ordering one for my wife, but we were pretty fast convinced this would not be the next one…
Two days later we tested the XC40 P8 (shares the same platform with the PS2). That one ticked all the boxes … better interior, feels faster and drives more dynamic. Ordered one right away ?. Dealer just informed me it has arrived and that he’ll drop it off at the detailer for ppf and coating.
The electric XC40 may indeed be the better choice when compared to the Polestar 2.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag

I was beyond impressed by the XC40. I couldn't believe the ride quality on it, handled well too.
I truly enjoyed driving it

The one I drove had a recycled eco friendly interior wich was poor quality, but I loved everything else

Viswaa

First Name
Vis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan BMWi3s
Country flag
Frankly, it's not difficult to exceed Tesla's quality control with regards to interiors. That's the main reason why I walked away from the Tesla when I was EV shopping earlier in 2021. When friends asked me what I thought the Tesla was like, I said "it's an electric Datsun designed by 22-year olds." Only the 40+ agers will get the Datsun reference. But you know what I mean.

Thanks for the posts about this vehicle. I think with regards to the Polestar being a good daily driver and a car for a person who ISN'T looking for a "head-turner", it's a solid option. It fits solidly with Volvo's design ethos.
Haha I know the Datsun reference.
Sponsored