Porsche Dealership Chargers - Charging Card?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've noticed these chargers going in at my local Porsche dealer in Plano as well as the service center in McKinney. I decided to try it out today, but was stymied by the request to "present Porsche charging card." What is that? Where/how do I get one?

I tried plugging in anyway to see if plug-and-charge would identify my Taycan and do the right thing but no, it wants the card.

My assumption is the two tall chargers are fast DC and the two shorter ones are regular slow AC.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Dealership Chargers - Charging Card? IMG_0773
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
“Yes, you bought your car here but we still want to xaaS you because subscriptions”.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Yeah but how do I get one?
Staff only access maybe - would be weird, so prob not - perhaps available only to those who purchased there and visiting on service calls? Would still be weird :)!

grahamtparker1979

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Exact same thing happened to me today at Porsche Belfast - Charger would work if you present the Taycan charging card you get over here with each new one (you must also ring ahead and book in)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
the dealerships are playing a game, apparently they were required to install these units but they aren't required to allow unfettered access.
Almost every unit I've encountered has to be "turned" on by someone at the dealership in order to charge.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
As luck would have it, I neglected to plug in yesterday and my wife had to take her car in for service, leaving me to drive her around town with a very low state of charge.

The closest fast DC charger to me was the Porsche service center, so I called them and asked if I could use the charger. They were very nice about it and happy to oblige.

My initial assessment was correct; the two "overhang" chargers are fast DC and the other two are slower AC.

I arrived and the receptionist swiped a card for me and everything worked as expected. These chargers seem to be as fast as 350kW EA chargers.

I arrived with 11% SoC and got a 250kW charge right off the bat. 20 minutes later I was just shy of 85% and left as the charging speeds tapered off.

Pretty nice chargers! I wish they were self-serve, and accessible 24hrs.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dealership Chargers - Charging Card? IMG_0774
Porsche Taycan Porsche Dealership Chargers - Charging Card? 66508342693__10601D01-0BEE-4403-A4E1-D0F6A3FA9E11

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
As luck would have it, I neglected to plug in yesterday and my wife had to take her car in for service, leaving me to drive her around town with a very low state of charge.

The closest fast DC charger to me was the Porsche service center, so I called them and asked if I could use the charger. They were very nice about it and happy to oblige.

My initial assessment was correct; the two "overhang" chargers are fast DC and the other two are slower AC.

I arrived and the receptionist swiped a card for me and everything worked as expected. These chargers seem to be as fast as 350kW EA chargers.

I arrived with 11% SoC and got a 250kW charge right off the bat. 20 minutes later I was just shy of 85% and left as the charging speeds tapered off.

IMG_0774.jpeg
66508342693__10601D01-0BEE-4403-A4E1-D0F6A3FA9E11.jpeg
Very nice! I have yet to see anything close to that charge level - so I guess the card provided was for a one-time access only?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Very nice! I have yet to see anything close to that charge level - so I guess the card provided was for a one-time access only?
I never laid hands on the card, the receptionist auth'd the charger with it. So presumably multi-use, but not for us.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag

the porsche units are far superior to the EA units. the charging at a porsche dealership is a nice perk if you are close to a dealership during working hours. otherwise do not depend on the units being available.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
the porsche units are far superior to the EA units. the charging at a porsche dealership is a nice perk if you are close to a dealership during working hours. otherwise do not depend on the units being available.
I'd say the UI is nicer but in terms of charge speed it matches what I got from EA 350kW units.

In fact I'd give EA a slight edge here because I was able to plug and charge, which I could not do at Porsche's.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I'd say the UI is nicer but in terms of charge speed it matches what I got from EA 350kW units.

In fact I'd give EA a slight edge here because I was able to plug and charge, which I could not do at Porsche's.
Probably because Porsche have disabled it. If you need to have the staff start a charge for you why do you expect P&C to work?

They are the same chargers they have rolled out here in Europe. I know a number of dealers have installed them, but have had problems (or high costs) to get enough power to their installation. They are a nice design.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
If the dealers allowed unattended access they would have to deal with drivers with non-Porsche cars that use the same CCS plug.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
I've noticed these chargers going in at my local Porsche dealer in Plano as well as the service center in McKinney. I decided to try it out today, but was stymied by the request to "present Porsche charging card." What is that? Where/how do I get one?
Is this the card you mean? I used it once in CH at a Porsche dealer and it worked flawlessly (the charging stations look identical). I was given it with the card and I use it for the Ionity network here in Europe

Porsche Taycan Porsche Dealership Chargers - Charging Card? tempImageuhT3Q6

Last edited:

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag