f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Ok, therefore we cannot use the argument that if it's in default more then it must be the most efficient setting (or Range mode would have been the default).

As a side note, after 3,500 miles (~5,600km) my Taycan estimates 188 miles of range at 100% SoC (extrapolated, I typically charge to 85%), which is slightly less that I expected (I was thinking 220 miles on winter tires in the winter). Hoping it improves, otherwise it would mean the brand new Taycan cannot beat the range of an 8 year old Model S with similar power (Tesla Ludicrous mode) and a smaller battery.
The Taycan was not designed with range in mind.

It would have different motors, smaller thermal capacity, smaller tyres and a different strategy for temperature management if it had.

I can easily see the Tesla strategy is the typical electric driven engineering strategy, assuming average use cases to do the calcultions, like, for example, the London Underground rating calculations used in my 1969 electrical engineering exam questions set by the engineer who had been chief engineer of London Transport.

For 99.9% of road users who will never get anywhere near testing the performance envelope extremes of their car the Tesla solution makes 100% sense.

But Porsche, from the outset, based their system on the 919 hybrid system and getting maximum performance almost all the time.
This means it can't be as efficient as a Tesla, and honestly, for a road car that is a bit daft, but I knew about all this before ordering the car.

I will only ever see the downside of the strategy but still bought one. :)
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

It would have different motors, smaller thermal capacity, smaller tyres and a different strategy for temperature management if it had.

I can easily see the Tesla strategy is the typical electric driven engineering strategy, assuming average use cases to do the calcultions, like, for example, the London Underground rating calculations used in my 1969 electrical engineering exam questions set by the engineer who had been chief engineer of London Transport.

For 99.9% of road users who will never get anywhere near testing the performance envelope extremes of their car the Tesla solution makes 100% sense.

But Porsche, from the outset, based their system on the 919 hybrid system and getting maximum performance almost all the time.
This means it can't be as efficient as a Tesla, and honestly, for a road car that is a bit daft, but I knew about all this before ordering the car.

I will only ever see the downside of the strategy but still bought one. :)
Oh, I get it. I didn't buy the Taycan for maximum EV range, but given it's official advertised range is 233 miles (for 2023 Turbo CT), so many people saying how the Taycan over-delivers on range, I was a little surprised to see only 188 miles.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Oh, I get it. I didn't buy the Taycan for maximum EV range, but given it's official advertised range is 233 miles (for 2023 Turbo CT), so many people saying how the Taycan over-delivers on range, I was a little surprised to see only 188 miles.
Indeed!
My CT4S showed a range of 200 or so in the winter. I have only done 1 long journey and didn’t push range choosing to stop twice for coffee which was plenty of charging time.
If I extrapolate now it isn’t quite so cold I get 240 miles, on 20” winters.
I do notice a big difference in prediction with traction battery temperature, unsurprisingly.
If I charge to 80% the prediction end of charge is much more than the following morning when the battery has cooled all night.
I now always charge just before I leave home and this makes a marked difference to actual range.
It is clear the energy used to get a 600kg battery up to a good running temperature is substantial.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
If I charge to 80% the prediction end of charge is much more than the following morning when the battery has cooled all night.
I now always charge just before I leave home and this makes a marked difference to actual range.
It is clear the energy used to get a 600kg battery up to a good running temperature is substantial.
Good point and something I should remember to do more often.

Tiekhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Cayenne Diesel
Country flag

Yes… all the stuff that makes a Taycan good to drive—air suspension, rear axle steering, wide performance tires, heat management system, nice stereo, etc.—all require energy.

I would expect a Taycan to have the same range as a Tesla if stripped of these items and configured with exactly the same net battery capacity. Indeed, the Taycan might actually have a higher intrinsic efficiency due to the particular motors used.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I don’t know the answer, nor why it would be relevant. Below from GTK.

03AE9655-2341-4884-B918-117800AEFD84.jpeg
That was really written by an engineer for engineers. Not to toot my own horn here, but my description upthread is a heck of a lot more understandable. Particularly for auto.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
My point being, in Drive settings>Recuperation…On Auto Off.
Your original post said “regen on”. Someone told you “regen is always on”. You said you should have said “recuperation on” to be clearer. But that is not clearer. In the Taycan, all regen is recuperation and all recuperation comes from regen. They aren’t different. That’s not true for all systems; but it is for the Taycan. So your “clarification”’ on recuperation be regen doesn’t make it any clearer. It’s just as true that recuperation os always on as it is that regen is always on. No difference.
But thanks for being extra.
You’re welcome.

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
I drove an iPace for three years before I replaced it the my TST. I loved the one pedal driving in the iPace and was a little concerned when I read up on Porsche’s approach.

Having experimented a little, I now drive in the auto mode when in traffic on A roads and let the car decide when to engage the regen as it detects cars I’m gaining on in my lane. On back roads, I engage sport mode and the regen starts the deceleration as I approach bends before I hit the break pedal.

It all works perfectly from a driving perspective. I’m sure coasting must improve range as it has to be more efficient given energy losses in regen but it’s not something that concerns me as I only use the car around home. The GoM tells me I’d get 250 from a full charge (having had the car for 2 months), 15% more than the iPace GoM at this time of year with a 3% bigger battery. I doubt the 250 would pan out but then the iPace 220 didn’t either.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I have to post this today: a Turbo ST on winters at below 7°C, with traffic and some right foot at times as well as a lot of short journeys. Had to do a decent length journey today, so I charged to 95%. The journey proved that the guess-o-meter was pretty damn accurate. Not bad! Happy with the range and I pretty much entirely use Normal mode with coasting, especially as it’s winter.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Says One-Pedal Driving In EVs Isn't Efficient D4191617-8480-403E-AA94-CA05BF5550E4

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
Even better would be to manage the energy such that I don't have to brake to make the >90º turn into our subdivision, after reaching the bottom of the hill, and traveling up the next for 200 yards before the entrance. Traffic would have to be nearly non-existent to pull that off.

Yes, I'm a nerd sometimes.
You've been watching too many Bob Hoover videos. 😁

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am seeing 225 on a Turbo ATM, assuming it will rise as the weather warms, I also do mainly highway miles at 73-75mph

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
I just finished a cross country trip in a Taycan - 3,500miles/5,600km (my drive home from the dealer). I must tell you that enabling recuperation was simply a convenient way to keep a constant speed without engaging cruise control, especially when driving through the varying elevation levels. Maybe I had the habit from a decade of driving Teslas, but honestly, so many hours behind the wheel, I definitely appreciated not having to switch between accelerator and brake as often in order to keep a constant speed with traffic to slow down for, or come tighter turns, or weather. If I was trying to go as fast as possible around a track, not worrying about getting a speeding ticket ticket because I gained 15mph going downhill, maybe complete costing would be great, but in the real world with speed limits, traffic, and America's finest waiting to ticket you, single pedal driving is just more convenient. I've essentially started using Sport mode, which has recuperation ON for all the highway driving, which was the vast majority of the 5,600km trip. Was it less efficient, perhaps, but not sure that it was that much less efficient than having to hit the brakes to keep constant speed. I was able to keep +/- 1mph for sustained periods of time without touching the brakes - uphill/downhill/turns/straightaways.

So as far as efficiency, I bet it depends on how you want to drive the car (e.g. keep constant speed or max out speeds, brake for corners, etc vs. someone who cannot keep a constant speed and keeps on oscillating +/- 10km/h due to regen). Convenience, one pedal wins. Porsche one pedal recuperation is not as strong as Tesla, but rather sufficient. For in-town driving, I use the Normal mode without one-pedal-recuperation. Oh, nice side effect, Porsche recuperation doesn't seem to engage the brake lights, so when hit with radar or laser, it's less conspicuous way to slow down.
Couldn’t agree more. I get Porsche trying to stay true to their ICE car driving dynamics but I really enjoy the one pedal driving in my wife’s Model Y Performance. I’d like to see Porsche offer user selective regen modes controlled with paddle shifters.
Sponsored