First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4
Country flag
Hello,
I am sure this has been posted before but hope you can point me in the right direction.

I am getting my new Taycan CT delivered and am looking for a wall charger.
I have a Tesla wall charger mounted outside but it stopped working and needs to be changed (the wiring is there - was previously done for Tesla). The wiring is already there. I want a wall charger outside not a plug inside for convenience as the car is parked in the driveway outside.

would you recommend the Porsche charger. It’s attractive but expensive. I’ve read on this forum that a lot of people were getting error messages with it last year. Is that still the case and would You recommend it?

if not, would you recommend a 3rd party ones instead and which ones?
Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Hello,
I am sure this has been posted before but hope you can point me in the right direction.

I have a Tesla wall charger mounted outside but it stopped working and needs to be changed (the wiring is there - was previously done for Tesla). The wiring is already there. I want a wall charger outside not a plug inside for convenience as the car is parked in the driveway outside.

would you recommend the Porsche charger. It’s attractive but expensive. I’ve read on this forum that a lot of people were getting error messages with it last year. Is that still the case and would You recommend it?

Thank you in advance.
Do a forum search. Lots of discussions on this subject with good recommendations. Personally I would go for another Tesla unit. Inexpensive, you are already wired for it, generally bullet proof, new universal model works with NACS and J-1772.

OP
OP

irubinshteyn

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4
Country flag
My Tesla charger is beyond repair.
don’t think I want another Tesla one since I am never getting a Tesla again.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the universal charger works with all EV's - Tesla makes one of the best chargers on the market and it supports boht types of charging port's NACS and J-1772

Enphase/clippercreek
Autel
ChargePoint
WallBox
Juicebox

are also alternatives

but the Tesla Wall chargers support more than just Tesla's and are some of the best price/performance/feature set on the market.

at $600 or less - the Tesla charger is pretty hard act to follow.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
would you recommend the Porsche charger.
Not even if it was the cheapest option (which it is not, it's the most expensive one). There are a number of 3rd party options available out there, honestly, every one of them is better than Porsche (or Audi, same mobile EVSE, just different branding).

I have a Tesla wall charger mounted outside but it stopped working and needs to be changed (the wiring is there - was previously done for Tesla).
If you have a Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector, your quickest, cheapest, easiest option is to pick up the Tesla Universal Wall Connector and swap it into the same base (shut off the breaker, undo two screws IIRC, unplug the old one, plug in the new one, screw on new screws to secure it, power up the breaker, connect via WiFi to set your breaker size - 10 to maybe 20 minute job).

If it's a Gen1 or Gen2, there is a bit more work to replace it with the Universal Wall Connector (or any other third party EVSE), but any electrician should be able to do it.

That said, I'd be curious why it stopped working. I have three Gen2 HPWC's, all running 80A (had 80A charger in one of my Teslas, also 80A charger in Taycan and eTron at home today) and they've been working fine for years. I'm not saying they never die, but if it was me I would like to know if it was the Wall Connector or the wiring that died.

OP
OP

irubinshteyn

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4
Country flag
Not even if it was the cheapest option (which it is not, it's the most expensive one). There are a number of 3rd party options available out there, honestly, every one of them is better than Porsche (or Audi, same mobile EVSE, just different branding).

If you have a Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector, your quickest, cheapest, easiest option is to pick up the Tesla Universal Wall Connector and swap it into the same base (shut off the breaker, undo two screws IIRC, unplug the old one, plug in the new one, screw on new screws to secure it, power up the breaker, connect via WiFi to set your breaker size - 10 to maybe 20 minute job).

If it's a Gen1 or Gen2, there is a bit more work to replace it with the Universal Wall Connector (or any other third party EVSE), but any electrician should be able to do it.

That said, I'd be curious why it stopped working. I have three Gen2 HPWC's, all running 80A (had 80A charger in one of my Teslas, also 80A charger in Taycan and eTron at home today) and they've been working fine for years. I'm not saying they never die, but if it was me I would like to know if it was the Wall Connector or the wiring that died.
Not sure
My electrician spent some time trying to get it work (for the purposes of charging Tesla) , called Tesla and couldn’t fix it.
He is the one originally installed it and it worked fine for 5+ years.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Not sure
My electrician spent some time trying to get it work (for the purposes of charging Tesla) , called Tesla and couldn’t fix it.
He is the one originally installed it and it worked fine for 5+ years.
Which Wall Connector is it? Gen1/2/3? What is your breaker size?

Wawando

First Name
Filipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Taycan CT on the way
Country flag
Hi, I received and installed the Tesla charger for my Taycan GTS a few days ago. I followed an electritian recomendation. He has been installing chergers and recommended it for reliability and price.
Works perfectly and installation is straight forward (although you need to use the internal website to activate it here in Portugal due to the required regulation of using the ground connection for high current).
In fact I just ordered another one for our beach house.
Kiss, long cable, nice looking and it just works!

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
It depends. If you have the upgraded on-board 19.2 kW AC charger option then I personally believe the Porsche Wall Charger Connect is a good choice. It will work at lower charge rates but is a fairly expensive option. I've been using mine for 18 months now without any issues. It does require a 100 AMP breaker to provide the maximum charging current.

If you don't have the 19.2kW option it is still a viable choice, but there are cheaper alternatives.

stoneunhenged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Go to Wirecutter and read the reviews on chargers. I bought a Grizzl-E based on their rec and have been very happy. Super basic, inexpensive, reasonably nice looking, completely weatherproof. Available on Amazon.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
The only thing the porsche charger is good for is looking good and screaming "look im rich, i have a fancy looking EVSE."

If you want to spend a lot of money, get the Juicebox. Otherwise, like others have said, the Tesla universal wall connector is the best charger (proven reliability, affordability).

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S and Tesla M3 oreon
Country flag
Hello,

Thank you in advance.
In princip has everybody the original Porsche Charger which fits in de wallbox you can mount on the wall. So, you only have to buy the wallbox basic ( 9J1073010 - Costs in europe +/- 166 euro) or the full wallbox (= Porsche Charging Dock - Costs in europe +/- 440 euro??)

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The only thing the porsche charger is good for is looking good and screaming "look im rich, i have a fancy looking EVSE."

If you want to spend a lot of money, get the Juicebox. Otherwise, like others have said, the Tesla universal wall connector is the best charger (proven reliability, affordability).
:CWL:
Everyone on this forum has a Porsche, I'm not sure spending a couple of grand on an EVSE is any kind of statement ;)
Sponsored