DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've got the PSCBs and I'm frankly horrified at the cost of brakes and rotors.

From the iron brakes on my Targa I know to expect pads every 10k or so with rotors every other time.

This car is heavier and harder to stop. I know regen helps reduce brake wear but I still feel $20 bills shooting out every time I press the brake pedal.

Any thoughts on how long these things should last? I'm really hoping the prices come down by the time they need replacing.
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
From what I've read, Porsche expects your brake life to be in the 6 year or 60000-mile range as 90% of your braking is done via regeneration (a massive 265 kW regeneration and 3x what a Tesla generates). Unless you're tracking the car (a lot) I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Everyday driving would be approx. 300.000 km before you need worry about replacement..

i Think that is quite acceptable…

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
From what I've read, Porsche expects your brake life to be in the 6 year or 60000-mile range as 90% of your braking is done via regeneration (a massive 265 kW regeneration and 3x what a Tesla generates). Unless you're tracking the car (a lot) I wouldn't worry about it.
60k would be great - but what is the standard depth of the PSCBs? I took my 4S in for the update and they did the inspection, showing front at 7mm and rear at 5mm, after 1000 miles. No tracking and mostly city driving. That seems low for “new brakes”.

Also what’s the cost for brake pads on these??

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well... that's the price to play. Better than PCCB, though. One of my buddies took a rock in the ceramic rotor and that was a $16k whoopsie.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Also what’s the cost for brake pads on these??
Current prices from Suncoast:

Front PSCB pads: $395.00
Rear PSCB pads: $340.00
Front sensors: $65.00
Read sensors: $62.00

That's not the kicker though. The kicker is the rotors:

Front PSCB rotors: $3450
Rear PSCB rotors: $2400

So, $6612 plus labor.

I'm curious if there is any way to measure the "coating depth" on the rotor, as that's going to be the measurement to watch.

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Current prices from Suncoast:

Front PSCB pads: $395.00
Rear PSCB pads: $340.00
Front sensors: $65.00
Read sensors: $62.00

That's not the kicker though. The kicker is the rotors:

Front PSCB rotors: $3450
Rear PSCB rotors: $2400

So, $6612 plus labor.

I'm curious if there is any way to measure the "coating depth" on the rotor, as that's going to be the measurement to watch.
what would the calipers cost (front and back)?

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
No idea - I wouldn't consider the calipers a wear item though? I'd expect them to last the lifetime of the car.
me neither - but have a friend who is planning changing the steel brakes to PSCB due to corrosion issues with the standard brakes…

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
me neither - but have a friend who is planning changing the steel brakes to PSCB due to corrosion issues with the standard brakes…
@Adrian@GlasWerksDMV is working with a performance brake company to design and build upgraded brakes for the Taycan for track use.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I've got the PSCBs and I'm frankly horrified at the cost of brakes and rotors.

From the iron brakes on my Targa I know to expect pads every 10k or so with rotors every other time.

This car is heavier and harder to stop. I know regen helps reduce brake wear but I still feel $20 bills shooting out every time I press the brake pedal.

Any thoughts on how long these things should last? I'm really hoping the prices come down by the time they need replacing.
If you're replacing cast iron rotors on your Targa every 20K miles, I'd guess that you are on the very heavy end of the wear scale. Do you track the car or use an aggressive aftermarket brake pad? With normal use I'd expect something in the range of 30K to 50K miles or even more from Porsche rotors.

In any event, Porsche says that the PSCB's should last 30% longer than their cast iron brake rotors. Given that, plus the fact that a significant amount of braking during everyday driving in the Taycan is handled by regen your PSCB's should have a much extended life compared to iron rotors. I would think that easily more than 50K miles could be expected.

Obviously, your replacement window depends on how long you intend to keep your car and how many miles you put on it.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If anyone knows, I'd love to know the thickness of the PSCB brake pads when new. I need to evaluate mine (yes the car has seen some aggressive use and will see more coming up).

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If you're replacing cast iron rotors on your Targa every 20K miles, I'd guess that you are on the very heavy end of the wear scale. Do you track the car or use an aggressive aftermarket brake pad?
Stock pads, no track use. I'm a leadfoot though.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I’ve read that also; but @DerekS has a RWD, which won’t have any regen for the front, which is where the AWD gets around 2/3 of its regen IIRC.

I haven’t seen any information on expected percent of braking from regen or brake life in RWD cars, but I can’t imagine it’s the same as one with a front motor.

It’ll be interesting to see the front brake wear on RWD vs AWD cars over time.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't know how Porsche manages the regen braking vs. hydraulic braking in the RWD Taycan - but it's possible the rear motor is still contributing the majority of braking in day-to-day driving. This would result in much faster wear on the rear tires compared to the front. I had a RWD Tesla Model S Performance (before the first AWD version) and I can confirm the rear tires wore much faster than the fronts. They were the same size though so you could rotate tires.
Sponsored