Gauss

Gauss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Certainly a different point of view.

For me, I like the lack of noise, vibrations, gas smell, turbo lag, transmission lag, etc - could never go back to an ICE.
I am not missing noise, I was talking about sound :) And the vibrations I was thinking about are the good kind. As for the gas smell, turbo lag, or transmission lag, you don´t notice so much of those in a modern 911..

I realize this might be different point of view though, it might even be a bit provoking for some people, including a part of myself. For the record I am all for the transition to EV on a global scale, and I can´t count the times I´ve told my kids I´m never going back to an ICE car again. So I will have a hard time justifying this decision without sounding like a hypocrite.. (and as a reply to a previous comment, second car will stay EV so I agree with you there, best of both worlds..)

Just wanted to know if I was the only EV owner missing the raw ICE experience, and apparently there are a few of us still out there :)
Sponsored

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
I think the taycan is an awesome looking and driving car. Good value compared to 911 models. Saying that I’ve cancelled my taycan order because of the cutting out problems and ordered the new 911!! They both drive fantastic, and money wise it’s not a good choice, but at this time I’m not ready for the drama ive seen elsewhere in the forum. I’ll buy an e v eventually, when Porsche perfect the software side of things. Because of tax breaks , running costs and cheaper car, the 911 will cost me almost twice as much......but the new 911 is absolutely the nuts....delivery unlikely until December earliest

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi everyone! I would just like to share some thoughts and see if there is anyone else out there..

Moving from ICE to (B)EV was an easy choice. Tesla MS is a great car that made the transition easy. Zero emissions, instant torque, smooth, quiet and fast, at least forward.. When Porsche announced Taycan, I knew that this would be something else. And it was, better handling, and much more fun to drive.

Having driven the Tesla MS for a couple of yrs and a Taycan 4S since its release, I have to admit that there is something missing though. Great fun to drive, despite its weight, the Taycan still feels too heavy imo. And I guess the most obvious “missing thing” is the engine. I didn´t think I would say this, but that engaging feeling you get in an ICE Porsche like 911, you just don´t get that in an electric vehicle, at least not yet. It is not just about the sound, or the transmission, or the vibrations, or that it gives you that satisfaction about the machinery – it is all that put together I think.

I know this isn´t the way forward in terms of CO emission and all that, but I´m considering moving “back” to an ICE like 911. For the fun of driving, that would feel more like a step forward right now..
I can fully agree with your dilemma. If you have the normal bendy twisty roads like I have experienced in Norway, you really feel the weight of the Taycan. It is a big lump to get around mountain roads. It accelerates like lightning out of the corners, but easy to overcook it’s a little on the way in.

While my Taycan was in for the latest update, I had a Cayman GTS 4.0 as a loaner. It was a manual gearbox as well and the pleasure to drive that was a new experience. I have not driven a newr model since the 997, so comparing that to a much older generation is maybe not fair. The Cayman was a very easy car to enjoy on twisty roads in sport mode. The automatic blips when downshifting was a surprise and took some time to get used to, but downshifting was smooth and ultra quick.

For long trips on motorway or A roads I would use an EV any time, but going up into the mountains I wish for something a bit more nimble.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I am not missing noise, I was talking about sound :) And the vibrations I was thinking about are the good kind. As for the gas smell, turbo lag, or transmission lag, you don´t notice so much of those in a modern 911..
When I think ICE, I travel back to my A7. So nothing to worry, I really meant that in a neutral way and a "modern 911" is certainly an experience!

Just wanted to know if I was the only EV owner missing the raw ICE experience, and apparently there are a few of us still out there :)
Totally understand, but I think I am happy with the new Taycan EV world...

Reactions: B61

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I think the taycan is an awesome looking and driving car. Good value compared to 911 models. Saying that I’ve cancelled my taycan order because of the cutting out problems and ordered the new 911!! They both drive fantastic, and money wise it’s not a good choice, but at this time I’m not ready for the drama ive seen elsewhere in the forum. I’ll buy an e v eventually, when Porsche perfect the software side of things. Because of tax breaks , running costs and cheaper car, the 911 will cost me almost twice as much......but the new 911 is absolutely the nuts....delivery unlikely until December earliest
I am also having some heartburn over ordering a Taycan. For me, the CT checks all of the boxes. Having been a Porsche owner for a number of years, I am aware that this manufacturer is a bit behind in the tech category. The drive however, is what has kept me in the brand. This being said, any tech that IS provided should work. I’m hopeful that the cars coming out of Germany, at this point, will have many of the posted issues resolved. Time will tell.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When I first got my Taycan it was winter and I thought I would never drive my sporty ICE much and considered selling it. Now the new car feeling has worn and summer is here no way I can do without my ICE. Also would not consider a non EV for a daily

TS-Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 TTS
Country flag
Getting in and out of the car is a learning process for me. And I agree the electronics can be buggy, but for driving around town, no long trips yet, the car is just awesome. It’s so comfortable and responsive. Granted, not as special looking as a 991 Targa, but I kinda enjoy the lower profile when zipping around town. That said, I think your patience with car will be rewarded In the long run. I try to remind myself that this is an early adoption purchase. There will be issues we endure that future owners will never have the “pleasure” of experiencing firsthand. :)

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just my view, the Taycan gets called a sports car, but I don't think it is. Too big and too heavy. I think its more of a GT car and if what you are looking for is a true sports car like the 911, it's not going to tick all the boxes.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
For someone that has gone from the ICE world for my main 'toy' - 2006 Cayman S --> 2013 Ford GT 500 --> 2013 Boxster S --> 2013 Carrera S Cab --> to an on-order Taycan RWD I totally understand your thoughts. My biggest concern with this transition is the lack of high revving exhaust sounds. I added after market exhaust (and in some case headers) to everyone of those cars listed and I already know I am going to miss the exhaust rumble a lot......

My 'other' car has always been an ICE and I fully expect that to continue. Current other car is a '20 Ford F-150 King Ranch that on the highway has a range of a little over 700 miles on regular gas. It is not near as sporty as the 911 was but for a long trip it is very comfortable and works great.

I know I am going to miss my 911 but my hope is that this 'big brother' gives me some level of driving (handling) satisfaction --- and hopefully is less expensive to own (my last major service on the 911 was about $1,900).

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
For me, this is a pretty interesting thread since it presents opinions from the two "schools/opinions" within the Porsche ownership family. I come from the newer ownership group that has no real appreciation for the history of Porsche, the 911, or the motorsport fame. We came aboard because of the superior driving SUV's, and then the introduction of the Taycan. I certainly understand the purists point of view when it comes to the importance of the history and its influence on the new generation of cars, but the future of Porsche is electric - especially once the Cayenne and Macan roll out as full EV's.

Purists will cringe, but I used to be a two Tesla household - that lasted for almost 3 years. But, I missed the ability to occastionally drive 700 miles in 10 or 11 hours. So, I swapped out my Model X for a Cayenne e-Hybrid and then ditched the Model S for a Taycan. I am lucky that Porsche makes cars that appeal to a type of owner who appreciate the classic 911 capabilities, but also has embraced the future to produce multi-purpose electric vehicles. I feel I get everything I need out of both my cars, and the solar panels on my roof cover a great percentage of the power needed for both vehicles - that is very, very important for me.

For the time being it feels like Porsche will still produce vehicles to appeal to purists and the new type of owner, but this will change, and it will be interesting to see how this impacts the vehicles that created the Porsche reputation/legacy moving forward. I can barely fit into my Taycan, so if Porsche rolls out an electric 911 in 10 years I will 60 years old and no way will I be fitting into that!!!

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
For me, this is a pretty interesting thread since it presents opinions from the two "schools/opinions" within the Porsche ownership family.
This was a very nice read.:like:

dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
ICE is a dying breed. Enjoy it while you can.

Personally, I’m loving the Taycan and while I do miss the sound of a roaring engine times, I find that more often I desire the quiet with the music cranked up. For me, that more than makes up for it. It’s all about personal trade-offs.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
I’ve enjoyed reading this thread and hearing the many perspectives. I own and Taycan Turbo and my best friend owns a 911 GT3 RS. We were just at a cars and coffee this weekend and discussed this topic extensively among ourselves and with others. I think both of us agree that for daily commuting EVs and wonderful. For road tripping I would prefer to be in my Taycan since it’s a lovely GT but the experience is still largely colored by the availability and interaction with the charging infrastructure (sometimes not great but usually not terrible). As range and infrastructure improve I think the argument swings toward EVs for that as well. Back roads driving can be a blast in the Taycan but boy that 911 GT3 RS provides some real theater. We’re both motorsport enthusiasts and my friend tracks his 911 extensively. He has enjoyed the Taycan and is strongly considering a cross turismo to replace his daily driver, but that 911 will always have a spot in his garage for the backroads. Anyway, and in fewer words, I think there’s room for both in the future and for different purposes. I personally won’t be going back to an ICE car for a daily driver but I would consider getting one as an “experiential” car. An old 911, BMW 2002, etc. I wonder what my kids will think of that? Maybe they’ll just shake their heads and say there goes the old man doing his thing, haha!

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I switched from about as hardcore of an ICE Porsche as there is (GT3) to a Taycan 4S. I understand and sympathize with the affinity for the more visceral nature of a high revving mechanical powerplant. There are things that I miss about my 911.

OTOH, the Taycan provides all of the performance I could want in a road car, is much more practical, and doesn't burn fossil fuel. It's engaging in a different way than the 911 but I find it really fun to drive.

I don't expect everyone will agree but I personally believe that we must make changes in our behavior if we want to avoid potentially catastrophic future consequences. I'm not naive enough to think that my individual actions will change the world but I have two young grandsons and I owe it to them to walk the walk whenever I can. I won't be going back to an ICE vehicle.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’ve gone pure EV for all “practical” driving - yet remain ICE for recreational driving…EV‘s are hard to beat in a number of ways, but ICE has a huge edge for recreational driving.
Sponsored