Setting up for charging in garage

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Any licensed electrician will do. Just have them install a 50 amp outlet a foot or so below the height you want your charger. That way you can use a charger with a plug, meaning you can change it later. I have a ChargePoint now, being used by my wife's Bolt, and I'll swap it for something else when I get the Taycan. (Either the Porsche unit, or something that can intelligently handle 2 cars)

There's nothing special about chargers, or the outlet, as all the smarts are in the car.
So if I have a 60 amp breaker I’m good for installing the outlet?
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So if I have a 60 amp breaker I’m good for installing the outlet?
The breaker has to match the wire & plug. Also charging is generally considered a continuous load so the breaker must be rated at only 80% of amperage used. The 11kW charger would use 40A so 60A would be great. Talk to your electrician who would know local codes though. Just get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed.

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
Being the local test subject for owning a Taycan, I have had to learn the whole charging subject from scratch. This has been a great discussion, and Ron you definitely have a handle on the subject. My car came with the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect, the brackets, a couple of cables and two thick books (manuals) on the subject. All of which were in this heavy canvas bag clipped into the back of the trunk.
The 25 ft cable was not part of the package, and having decided I needed one to be able to charge while up at my brother's house, I asked if I could get one as a "no cost option" as it is shown in the build page. Because it was not part of the original build, no, I'd have to order it.! Yikes! It is beyond pricy!!
Order the 25 ft cable while you can!! As a no-cost option, it is a no brainer, and believe me when I say you will not want to buy one later!
So here is the cool bag you get with the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect.
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_4387

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-and-mission-e/1165613-charging-for-taycan.html

240 volts @ 40 amps _IS_ the maximum charge rate in north america - 9,600 watts or 9.6 kW

there is _NO_ 60 amp “plug” approved for US building codes/residential -so _ANY_ EVSE that charges at more than 40 amps would be a hardwired installation due to building codes.

• any J-1772 based charger will charge your 2020 North American Taycan at upto 40 amps
    • if your charger/EVSE provides more than 40 amps - the Taycan will still charge at 40 amps.
  • there are adapters that you can purchase to convert Tesla mobile/HPWC chargers to J-1772 - they work great and I‘ve used one for years w/my Bolts - and used them on my 36 hour test drive with the Taycan - my 100 amp home multi-EVSE setup charged the Taycan at 40 amp
    • the adatpers are heavy duty and overspec so heat build up is minimal and not an issue - use them with confidence
  • savy EV road warriors purchase these adapters so they can use Tesla L2 chargers while out/about in the world where you will encounter Tesla L2 chargers at a lot of places due to Tesla’s early lead and offering them for free to many businesses
  • a NEMA 14-50 plug is a great choice for ANY EV charging setup and will be plenty fast for 99.9% of your daily usage.
  • running 100 amp rated wire is a great idea and will make future potential improvements to your EV charging setup easier and cheaper in the future.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
for North American customers…

the excellent 32 amp Tesla Gen2 Mobile charger that you can order from Tesla’s website will charge the Taycan at 32 amps - this charger + the Tesla-Tap/JDapter is less $$$ that the 25 ft cord from Porsche (if you didn’t do the $0 option). There is also a wide range of plug-adapters for this charger making it one of the best and most affordable mobile EVSE’s on the market - it also includes the bag ;)

if you’re looking for a 2nd EVSE/charger for some reason it’s a great option for _ANY_ EV - as long as you get the Tesla-Tap/JDapter (which is useful all by itself for traveling w/your EV).

I know a lot of EV owners that have the manufacturer’s EV in the main home, and buy one of these $300 goodies for their “in car” and vacation home charger. It’s small, compact, rugged, and works great - but it’s only 32 amps.

@ $275 it’s frankly the best and most affordable mobile EVSE on the market and with the optional adpters also the most flexible and capable.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle

it in fact would be my recomendation for the Taycan _IF_ porsche did not include their excellent charger with every order.

it comes with a 20’ cable, NEMA 5-15 plug adapter, bag and nifty animated lights when it’s charging. it has optional plug adapters for $35 each, or a bundle of all adapters for $220

NEMA 5-15 (included w/Purchase)
NEMA 5-20
NEMa 6-15
NEMA 6-20
NEma 6-50
NEMA 10-30
NEMA 14-30
NEMa 14-50

if you had one of these in your car and all the adpaters there are very very few places you would encounter where you wouldn’t be able to charge your EV (including the Taycan).

it’ a great mobile EVSE and will work with a wide range of EV’s, small, light, reliable, flexible, affordable o- and again less $$$ than Porsche charges for the 25’ extension cable for their EVSE

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
running 100 amp rated wire is a great idea and will make future potential improvements to your EV charging setup easier and cheaper in the future.
If you run 100A capable wiring, you could add a subpanel and run two 50A circuits. Because eventually you and your spouse/kids/dog/whatever will own two Electric cars.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree 100% with @louv - this is your first EV, not your last EV, and there are more EV’s in your future, not fewer. So a good 100 amp sub-panel in your garage is not much more expensive than a single NEMA 14-50 plug from a permit, labor, hassel factor - and once you have a 100 AMP sub-panel in the garage adding another NEMA plug or EVSE becomes much simpler and cheaper in the future for your future multi-EV household.

My personal setup for my household is:

100 amp sub-panel in the garage
shared 100 amp circuit for 4 EVSE’s configured to dynamically split load based on EV charging demand

I can charge up to 4 EV’s all at once, and the EVSE’s share the load based on demand, as EV’s finish charging in the early morning, load redirected to the last EV so it charges at a faster rate upto the 100/80 amp limit of the circuit. It works great!

when all 4 EV’s are charging at once each EV starts out the evening with 20 amps each (80 divided by 4) - however the last EV charging will dynamically ramp up to a maximum of 80 amps (the circuit limit) so it can charge as fast as possible

One EV plugged in = maximum circuit load
multiple EV’s plugged in - maximum circuit load is split, but dynamically adjusted based on demand

it’s far better than “static” load EVSE’s in my opinion because you can maximize your charge rate based on demand rather than making a “static” choice for EVSE - and still use/share a single 100 amp circuit.

the EVSE’s that can do this are $500 each - so you can have two dynamic load EVSE’s installed and sharing a 100 amp circuit for less than what porsche charges for their 40 amp mobile EVSE.

but yeah to @louv point - install a 60, 80, or 100 amp subpanel - and then install your 1st 14-50 circuit from that panel, this is not going to be your last or only EV…

the following charging scenaior is not uncommong in my home (4 EV’s charging at once)

1. Volt charging - maximum charge rate 16 amps
2. Bolt charging - maximum charge rate 32 amps
3. Model 3 charging - maximum charge rate 48 amps
4. Model X charging - maximum charge rate 72 amps

plug 4 cars in - let the EVSE’s sort out the demand - and has EV’s finish charging, the unused AMP capacity is shifted to the EVSE that needs it - but never exceeding the 100/80 amp limit of the single circuit.

I’ve had the Volt & the X plugged in - and had the volt charging at 16 amps, and the x charging at 64 amps (16+64 = 80 amp the circuit limit). If it’s just the volt & the Bolt each get their max charge rate - Volt @ 16, and Bolt at 32 -since the overall load fits into the 80 amp shared budget.

the best part is you don’t have to “know” or “manage” which charger with which amps to use - the system just adapts dynamically to what ever it can provide vs. what is needed at the moment.

NOTE: the configuration can adapt load for _ANY_ cirucit size (40, 50, 60, 80, 100) - but 100 is the maximum load it will split, but it will adjust for lower single circuit loads as well

it’s like the rolling stone song

”You can’t always get what you want .... but if you try sometimes ... you can get what you need!”

if you have any thoughts that you might be a future multi-Ev household - a 100 amp circuit + subpanel and investing in a high quality EVSE w/load sharing capabilities will making your home charging situation nearly painless.

Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
but yeah to @louv point - install a 60, 80, or 100 amp subpanel - and then install your 1st 14-50 circuit from that panel, this is not going to be your last or only EV…
Ok, really basic question with some non-tech talk that is probably wrong, but hopefully people get the idea.

When I had my charger installed for a Bolt, the electrician said that my panel was maxed out (it is 200a) and I had very little room. He was able to get a 40a circuit in, which is what I have now.

What does it take to do a separate panel and effectively add 100a?

My house is older and apparently the current code mean that a detached garage (even though it is only 5 feet from the house) needs it own subpanel anyway. I don't really need it now, but as pointed out, maybe something that would be useful down the road and I figure I may as well consider doing it now.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
for what it’s worth the excellent 32 amp Tesla Gen2 Mobile charger that you can order from Tesla’s website will charge the Taycan at 32 amps - this charger + the Tesla-Tap/JDapter is less $$$ that the 25 ft cord from Porsche (if you didn’t do the $0 option). There is also a wide range of plug-adapters for this charger making it one of the best and most affordable mobile EVSE’s on the market - it also includes the bag ;)

if you’re looking for a 2nd EVSE/charger for some reason it’s a great option for _ANY_ EV - as long as you get the Tesla-Tap/JDapter (which is useful all by itself for traveling w/your EV).

I know a lot of EV owners that have the manufacturer’s EV in the main home, and buy one of these $300 goodies for their “in car” and vacation home charger. It’s small, compact, rugged, and works great - but it’s only 32 amps.

@ $275 it’s frankly the best and most affordable mobile EVSE on the market and with the optional adpters also the most flexible and capable.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle

it in fact would be my recomendation for the Taycan _IF_ porsche did not include their excellent charger with every order.

it comes with a 20’ cable, NEMA 5-15 plug adapter, bag and nifty animated lights when it’s charging. it has optional plug adapters for $35 each, or a bundle of all adapters for $220

NEMA 5-15 (included w/Purchase)
NEMA 5-20
NEMa 6-15
NEMA 6-20
NEma 6-50
NEMA 10-30
NEMA 14-30
NEMa 14-50

if you had one of these in your car and all the adpaters there are very very few places you would encounter where you wouldn’t be able to charge your EV (including the Taycan).

it’ a great mobile EVSE and will work with a wide range of EV’s, small, light, reliable, flexible, affordable o- and again less $$$ than Porsche charges for the 25’ extension cable for their EVSE
Interesting information. I live in Europe so we do have the same charger connections on Tesla and Taycan, same as the Mennekes Type 2. I got excited by your post and wanted to try the Tesla Mobile charger, but it would not charge my Taycan? The charging light on the car stayed red? Could there be a difference in the communication protocol that is not recognised in the car or charger? I agree that the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is a very capable charger and according to my spec sheet it is capable of charging up to 22kW, with 3 phase wiring, but Taycan can only take 11 kW!? But the drawback is that it is a very large and heavy item with a big bag.

Has anybody else in Europe tried to charge their Taycan with a Tesla Mobile charger??

Next week I will try to charge with a Tesla Wall Connector. But I believe that should work just fine?

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Money ;)
When I had my HPWC installed for my Tesla, I had an extensive panel set up to support the 100A circuit and potentially solar metering as well (which never panned out). I was lucky in that the transformer feeding my house was in my front yard and the cables laid from there two my house could already carry the current, so no changes needed to be made there. You might not be so lucky and if they have to run new cables from the transformer to your house and it's further away, the cost is going to go up.
I also ended up needing an upgraded meter and to do all of this the utility had to come out and disconnect power to my house at the transformer for the work to be done, and due to changing codes additional grounding cable had to be installed and it was not small.
I don't remember the final price tag for my particular installation but it was in the $1000s.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
, really basic question with some non-tech talk that is probably wrong, but hopefully people get the idea.

When I had my charger installed for a Bolt, the electrician said that my panel was maxed out (it is 200a) and I had very little room. He was able to get a 40a circuit in, which is what I have now.

My house is older and apparently the current code mean that a detached garage (even though it is only 5 feet from the house) needs it own subpanel anyway. I don't really need it now, but as pointed out, maybe something that would be useful down the road and I figure I may as well consider doing it now.
yeah - this is where it gets tricky…

there are two things that have to happen to ”add” a circuit
  1. there has to be physical “space” in your main panel to physically “add” a new 240 volt breaker
  2. there has to be “capacity” to add the additional “load”- can your existing panel “handle” the additional amperage
older homes may not have the space and/or the capacity to add a full 100 amp breaker
  1. there are options to “make” space - consult your local licensed electrician
  2. there are options to “make” capacity - consult your local licensed electrician
if you are lacking space and/or capacity the only solutions are
  1. live with in the limits of your current electrical system
  2. spend more money to upgrade your electrical system to make more space & capacity
option #2 can be quite expensive so please make this a personal choice and do what ever is comfortable for you personally and your check book.

if you can add a NEMA 14-50 circuit, you can add a 50 amp subpanel and then have a NEMA 14-50 plug from the subpanel - having a subpanel in the garage means later on your can more easily “add” a 2nd circuit for a 2nd EVSE/plug in the future, but you may have to downgrade to two smaller circuits to stay with in the original 50 amp load…if you have a subpanel this is easier and cheaper the 2nd time…

the point is a little bit of planning may set you up a little better for the future - the real cost here is NOT the size of the breaker/wire, it’s the labor hassel and permits for anything to be done. So the goal should be to have the electician install the “biggest” circuit/sub-panel your system can handle or your are willing to pay for....and a little bit of “extra” work now, will make things much easier in the future if you get a 2nd EV.

for example if your panel can handle a 50 amp circuit - then it could also proably handle a 60 or 80 amp circuit - great have the electrician put in a 60 amp circuit in the main panel - subpanel in the garage - and install the NEMA 14-50 plug off the new sub-panel - then when you get your 2nd EV - you could more easily switch to two NEMA 14-30 plugs (one for each EV) and not have to change the 60 amp breaker or wire from the main panel…I guarentee downgrading the NEMA 14-50 to 14-30 plug is like $15 in parts + new 30 amp breaker, and the 2nd NEMA 14-30 plug for the 2nd EV will be super cheaper labor and time and hassel wise, adn probably not even require a permit because you are remaining within the original 60 amp budget for the panel you originally installed...

a little extra time/money now, will make things must simpler, faster, cheaper for the 2nd Ev in the future…if you can handle a 100 amp subpanel - do it! you’ll need it in the future, and 100 amp subpanel should be enough to handle 2 EV’s in the future or even more with right load sharing EVSE’s - and you’d be surprised that it’s not that much more money if it does’t involve a main panel upgrade.

but if your panel is already maxed out - then yeah you have to live with what you have, or pay to upgrade, which gets more expensive.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting information. I live in Europe so we do have the same charger connections on Tesla and Taycan, same as the Mennekes Type 2. I got excited by your post and wanted to try the Tesla Mobile charger, but it would not charge my Taycan? The charging light on the car stayed red? Could there be a difference in the communication protocol that is not recognised in the car or charger? I agree that the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is a very capable charger and according to my spec sheet it is capable of charging up to 22kW, with 3 phase wiring, but Taycan can only take 11 kW!? But the drawback is that it is a very large and heavy item with a big bag.

Has anybody else in Europe tried to charge their Taycan with a Tesla Mobile charger??

Next week I will try to charge with a Tesla Wall Connector. But I believe that should work just fine?
my apologies - I’m woefully unimformed about european charging - all of my postings are based on personal experience in North America with Tesla and J-1772 standards common for this region of the world - anyone from europe should simply ignore my posts :) (north americans can also, but sometimes my posts are useful)
Sponsored