Setting up for charging in garage

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
This entire charger is pretty dumb IMO. Why all the hoops to jump through? Just take the power from my wall and put it in the car. Simple. Easy. But nooooooo, we need wifi, and a login, and pin code (which I immediately disabled) and etc, etc, etc.

Maybe if it all worked flawlessly I wouldn't complain. Sadly it doesn't.
Hi, it looks like the bring up screens are very confusing on this charger. I was able to skip all of the Wifi, PIN, Porsche ID config at one try and it worked like you expected. Plug in and charge with no additional steps. So it looks like one does not have to activate all the bells and whistles. :)

What flaws did you see? Did you try your Tesla charger with the Taycan? The M3 has the same connector, right?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@elberk, since you are in Europe I guess you have the type 2 connector in your M3? I have tried a Tesla Wall Connector with my Taycan and that works just fine. No issues whatsoever!

However I did not manage to get my Tesla Universal Mobile Charger to work with the Taycan? I have seen some of our US friends on here, have been able to do this in their cars, but that is a different type of connector I think.

Let me know if you get it to work because the Tesla mobile charger is so much easier to bring on a trip, if needed.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
@elberk, since you are in Europe I guess you have the type 2 connector in your M3? I have tried a Tesla Wall Connector with my Taycan and that works just fine. No issues whatsoever!

However I did not manage to get my Tesla Universal Mobile Charger to work with the Taycan? I have seen some of our US friends on here, have been able to do this in their cars, but that is a different type of connector I think.

Let me know if you get it to work because the Tesla mobile charger is so much easier to bring on a trip, if needed.
The EU M3s have CCS connectors which obviously support type 2 (Mennekes) connectors as well. :)

Great to know that your Tesla wall outlet works since I have quite a few of them! :clap:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just came to think about it, of course the supplied charger will work without setting up all WiFi and other things. Just plug and charge must work if you bring it along on a trip. You may be out at some ski lodge and there might not be any communications available there. And then it just have to work, right?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The EU M3s have CCS connectors which obviously support type 2 (Mennekes) connectors as well. :)

Great to know that your Tesla wall outlet works since I have quite a few of them! :clap:
Yes it works fine but you might need to set it up on the small micro switches? There is one setting that seems to be for Tesla cars only and the other setting for any car? I looked at some Tesla forum before we installed the charger and wanted it to be universal.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I think the display showed 0.3 mi/min! ;);)At least mine does with similar power!
Correct - 0.3 mi/min :like:. The reason I panicked is that the Tesladisplays much faster rate of charge - if I remember correctly it is something like 30 mi/min. Seeing 0.3 mi/min was disturbing..... I much prefer that the display gave the power in kW or the current. I don't even remember in what submenu I found the display saying 40A.....

As I said, Tesla needs to take lessons from Porsche in craftsmanship, Porsche needs to takes lessons from Tesla in software .....

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can switch between miles/min and kW provided from the charger in the car as well as in the Connect app. There you should see what charge the car is getting. I have seen about 10 km per minute and more than 100 kW on the display at Ionity chargers. So getting about 600 km per hour is not bad going!!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
You can switch between miles/min and kW provided from the charger in the car as well as in the Connect app. There you should see what charge the car is getting. I have seen about 10 km per minute and more than 100 kW on the display at Ionity chargers. So getting about 600 km per hour is not bad going!!
Thank you @Scandinavian - still learning.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Correct - 0.3 mi/min :like:. The reason I panicked is that the Tesladisplays much faster rate of charge - if I remember correctly it is something like 30 mi/min. Seeing 0.3 mi/min was disturbing..... I much prefer that the display gave the power in kW or the current. I don't even remember in what submenu I found the display saying 40A.....

As I said, Tesla needs to take lessons from Porsche in craftsmanship, Porsche needs to takes lessons from Tesla in software .....
In the car you can press the display of mi/min and it will toggle to kWh. Maybe the charger will do the same?

30mi/min would require 450kW charging rate even with a very good efficiency of 4mi/kWh. I think Tesla shows mi/hr not mi/min.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
What flaws did you see?
The process was just odd with a QR code and everything. It's a one time thing, and I'm blowing it out of proportion. I was also frustrated with how poorly the phone app is working, thus I'm skeptical about the charger right now, too.

The second day I ran into this message. Powering off/on the charger didn't help. To resolve I ended up removing the charger from the car and plugging it back in.
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_20200531_222637

Did you try your Tesla charger with the Taycan? The M3 has the same connector, right?
Nope, they are different connectors.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would rather see miles/hour, or at least have the option to display it.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
In Europe they both Use Mennekes for level 2 charging so for here elberk is correct about the same connector.

Did you try your Tesla charger with the Taycan? The M3 has the same connector, right?
Nope, they are different connectors.

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
In the car you can press the display of mi/min and it will toggle to kWh. Maybe the charger will do the same?

30mi/min would require 450kW charging rate even with a very good efficiency of 4mi/kWh. I think Tesla shows mi/hr not mi/min.
Duh... Of course. 0.3*60=18 - what you would expect; in the end I think it was more like 0.4. Goes to show what using different measuring units does to your brain.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would rather see miles/hour, or at least have the option to display it.
I can understand that that may make sense at a high-level but realize that the charging rate changes so quickly over the state of charge that implying that it's let's say 600 miles per hour is very misleading, because you will not be getting 300 miles and a half hour generally the rate will have tapered long before that. By giving a per minute rate you don't give false expectations, probably a focus point for Porsche. That being said it is true for high speed charging. But at low speed AC charging I agree that a miles per hour rate would make a lot of sense. So now I am convinced that it should be an option to toggle through: mi/min, mi/hr, kW. And of course be km based on unit preferences. Good point @dryii.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm used to seeing the 29-30 MPH charging happening with my Model 3. The 0.3 miles/min confused me at first with the Taycan. It should be more around 0.5 miles/min. I didn't pay too close attention at the time.

Overall it's just a number and matters little, but having the option would still be nice.
Sponsored