ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm used to seeing the 29-30 MPH charging happening with my Model 3. The 0.3 miles/min confused me at first with the Taycan. It should be more around 0.5 miles/min. I didn't pay too close attention at the time.

Overall it's just a number and matters little, but having the option would still be nice.
Well it must be doing at most 32A I would say, not 40A. The car has an estimated efficiency of 2.5ish mi/kWh.
Are you sure it's set to 40A or 9.6kW? What does it show in the car?
Sponsored

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
Would anyone happen to know someone in the Northern NJ area that installs EV home chargers? Yes, I know, all I would need is a good electrician but I'm looking for someone who already has experience in installing EV chargers in the home (garage). Wife's 4S is due in next week and would like to have this installed prior to delivery. Was previously planning on the Amazon install but they're off-line at the moment. Thanks in advance, Ken

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Finally got my Mobile Charger Connect and Porsche Dock installed - 50 AMP circuit with NEMA 14-50 outlet. Here are some pics. You can see at 40 amps I was getting the .3 mi/min at 9.25 kW speed. I plugged it in when car was already at 61% SOC so car was showing it would take 4 hr 20 min to finish to 100% - I didn't program 80% limit since I was just trying to see how long it would take.

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_2611.JPG
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_2612.JPG
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_2617.JPG
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage IMG_2615.JPG

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you for all those great pictures @HelfFL that was super useful. You know in the car if you click on the 0.3 miles per minute it will toggle and show you kilowatts.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you for all those great pictures @HelfFL that was super useful. You know in the car if you click on the 0.3 miles per minute it will toggle and show you kilowatts.
Yes sir. But as someone pointed out, you can't get the miles per minute on the Mobile Charger Connect. The Mobile Charger Connect does show the kW of use. The charger display should show both like the car display. I'm just glad to have the charger installed now - relieving me of some range anxiety. Plus, in typical Porsche fashion, the dock's appearance is really nice and makes storing the 25' cable easy and neat.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes sir. But as someone pointed out, you can't get the miles per minute on the Mobile Charger Connect. The Mobile Charger Connect does show the kW of use. The charger display should show both like the car display. I'm just glad to have the charger installed now - relieving me of some range anxiety. Plus, in typical Porsche fashion, the dock's appearance is really nice and makes storing the 25' cable easy and neat.
I don't think you'll find that miles per minute number very accurate as it is based on a very pessimistic assumption for the efficiency of the vehicle. If you do some more driving let me know what you have for a consumption figure on the driver console in kWh/100mi I am very curious then figure a 10% loss while charging so you are probably getting 8 to 8.3kW to the battery. I believe the Taycan will give about 3mi/kW so 24mi/hr or 0.4mi/min but I maybe over-optimistic. ;-)

Also I agree with how good that dock looks. I was never thinking of getting it before but seeing your install makes me think twice.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
It will fluctuate, especially when it's nearing full, but a 40A charger gives my Model 3 ~30mi/hour. It should do the same for our Taycan's.

Concerning the amount to charge, to heck with this 80% nonsense. I'm leaving mine at 100%. My understanding is this still isn't a true 100% because of the amount Porsche keeps hidden away.

K-S

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911-992
Country flag
So all you need is the “mobile charger connect” (and a 50 amp outlet to plug it in to)? Why do you need 50 amps if the charger only uses 40? And what are the “supply cables” for? I don’t have one of those specified in my build. I do have the 25 foot charger cable though. What would I use that for?
There are several $0 options for supply cable, depending on whether you have a 30 or 50 amp supply. It comes default with a standard 3 pin plug but at 7 amps it takes forever to charge. So select the Nema 50 for a 50 amp install as folks have discussed.

I would also go fo the longer25 ft as it gives you options. To buy later is around $800.

Last edited:

K-S

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911-992
Country flag
I don't think you'll find that miles per minute number very accurate as it is based on a very pessimistic assumption for the efficiency of the vehicle. If you do some more driving let me know what you have for a consumption figure on the driver console in kWh/100mi I am very curious then figure a 10% loss while charging so you are probably getting 8 to 8.3kW to the battery. I believe the Taycan will give about 3mi/kW so 24mi/hr or 0.4mi/min but I maybe over-optimistic. ;-)

Also I agree with how good that dock looks. I was never thinking of getting it before but seeing your install makes me think twice.
The Docs are great but annoying you now have to pay for them, I have one that came free with My first Panamera hybrid.

B777

First Name
BP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911SC,Panamera S,Taycan Turbo
Country flag

0.4mi/min is what i'm getting for what it worth, also the connect app shows this also

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
The Docs are great but annoying you now have to pay for them, I have one that came free with My first Panamera hybrid.
Take it, it is absolutely the same.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It will fluctuate, especially when it's nearing full, but a 40A charger gives my Model 3 ~30mi/hour. It should do the same for our Taycan's.

Concerning the amount to charge, to heck with this 80% nonsense. I'm leaving mine at 100%. My understanding is this still isn't a true 100% because of the amount Porsche keeps hidden away.
I think you will see the same kilowatt rate for the model 3. The miles per hour is based on an efficiency estimation. The model 3 with smaller tires and lower weight does get better efficiency but also the estimation is a bit optimistic as well versus the Porsche estimate is a bit pessimistic that is why I only believe in kilowatts.

I believe in the last few months Porsche has reduced that top buffer quite a bit as visible in videos showing amount of charge that can be pushed in and pulled out. I believe you will see about 90 kilowatt-hours available versus the old 84kWh originally published. It would be fine to charge to 100% if you plan on driving within the next 12 hours but I would not recommend leaving the car at that charge for a long period.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
If you charge to 100% drive straight away. The chemistry in the battery is very unstable when fully charged. It’s not unsafe, it just damages the cells. Which can be replaced but it’s rather just try my best to keep stable chemistry in the battery.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
If you charge to 100% drive straight away. The chemistry in the battery is very unstable when fully charged. It’s not unsafe, it just damages the cells. Which can be replaced but it’s rather just try my best to keep stable chemistry in the battery.
But don't forget that we can only tap about 88-90% of the battery pack anyway so charging to 100% is not actually very bad for the battery. I have always charged my Teslas to 90% and have had VERY LITTLE loss of range due to that.... So I suspect that the Taycan is fine being charged to Porsche's 100% marksince there is a nice empty buffer above that.......

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But don't forget that we can only tap about 88-90% of the battery pack anyway so charging to 100% is not actually very bad for the battery. I have always charged my Teslas to 90% and have had VERY LITTLE loss of range due to that.... So I suspect that the Taycan is fine being charged to Porsche's 100% marksince there is a nice empty buffer above that.......
As I said above, I don't think the Taycan buffer is that large any more. back in September 2019 I agree it has a large buffer but in videos I have watched since then I see the car providing 90 kilowatt-hours. There should be both a top and bottom buffer that they're getting from the at 4.2 kilowatt-hours remaining.
Sponsored