Abajansns

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera, Audi Q5, Mazda CX-5, BMW 330 I
Country flag
Should I get performance battery I’m already above my budget but my dealer said they recommend it
Sponsored

OP
OP
Abajansns

Abajansns

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also what else is necessary in the e mobility part of the options this is my first electric car so I do not know what all the charger upgrades do

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I'd generally say yes, you should, but it depends on how highly optioned your car is in other areas. Is it a RWD or 4S?

For RWD, I think it can make sense to omit the performance plus battery if you're trying to stick to a budget around $100k or less. But if you're well over that then you should find a way to include it by cutting other options

Re: mobility you don't need anything else.

Car already comes with a charging cable for your home. So don't buy the mobile charger connect as this is just a fancy home charging cable with a screen. Also Porsche's charging cables have some issues that people have documented on this forum, both for the free one and the upgraded one

19.2kw charger is the electronics onboard the car that can increase your charge rate at home from 11kw to 19.2kw (almost doubling), so you could charge your car fully at home in like 4-5hrs instead of 7-8hrs. HOWEVER, most homes in the US won't be able to support charging this quick given how the homes are wired, so very rarely do people in US add this option

150kw/400v you could consider adding but not a must have IMO. This dictates how fast your car charges at 400V fast charging stations. Standard is 50kw, so this would triple the speed. At fast charging stations in the public, there are two types, one is 400v and another is 800v. In the US, Tesla chargers are all 400v, but right now we can't use tesla chargers since they're locked to only Teslas. Almost all of the fast chargers compatible with Taycans are 800v. So in most use cases this isn't going to come into play since this option is only when you use a 400v charger, which are Tesla chargers that aren't available to Taycans. Tesla is rumored to open up their network to other cars in the future but this hasn't happened yet.

Overall this could be a nice to have, but depends on how often you think you'll be charging at fast chargers and road tripping. If you don't plan on charging at public stations often, this really is a low utility option. Also, reality is that the fastest charging is still at 800V stations (270kw) even if you get this option, so you'd want to preferentially choose 800V stations if possible on road trips over Teslas regardless. Tesla chargers are more common and more reliable, but again, not available right now to Taycans. By the time they open them up, it's possible the 800V network will be on par with reliability and available enough that it'll be rare where you're forced to stop at a Tesla charger

OP
OP
Abajansns

Abajansns

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd generally say yes, you should, but it depends on how highly optioned your car is in other areas. Is it a RWD or 4S?

For RWD, I think it can make sense to omit the performance plus battery if you're trying to stick to a budget around $100k or less. But if you're well over that then you should find a way to include it by cutting other options

Re: mobility you don't need anything else.

Car already comes with a charging cable for your home. So don't buy the mobile charger connect as this is just a fancy home charging cable with a screen. Also Porsche's charging cables have some issues that people have documented on this forum, both for the free one and the upgraded one

19.2kw charger is the electronics onboard the car that can increase your charge rate at home from 11kw to 19.2kw (almost doubling), so you could charge your car fully at home in like 4-5hrs instead of 7-8hrs. HOWEVER, most homes in the US won't be able to support charging this quick given how the homes are wired, so very rarely do people in US add this option

150kw/400v you could consider adding but not a must have IMO. This dictates how fast your car charges at 400V fast charging stations. Standard is 50kw, so this would triple the speed. At fast charging stations in the public, there are two types, one is 400v and another is 800v. In the US, Tesla chargers are all 400v, but right now we can't use tesla chargers since they're locked to only Teslas. Almost all of the fast chargers compatible with Taycans are 800v. So in most use cases this isn't going to come into play since this option is only when you use a 400v charger, which are Tesla chargers that aren't available to Taycans. Tesla is rumored to open up their network to other cars in the future but this hasn't happened yet.

Overall this could be a nice to have, but depends on how often you think you'll be charging at fast chargers and road tripping. If you don't plan on charging at public stations often, this really is a low utility option. Also, reality is that the fastest charging is still at 800V stations (270kw) even if you get this option, so you'd want to preferentially choose 800V stations if possible on road trips over Teslas regardless. Tesla chargers are more common and more reliable, but again, not available right now to Taycans. By the time they open them up, it's possible the 800V network will be on par with reliability and available enough that it'll be rare where you're forced to stop at a Tesla charger
Thank you for the reply

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I am getting a 4s
I just saw and replied to your other post with your build code. You need to get the bigger battery. Your car build is very expensive for a 4S, so it would be extremely unbalanced of a build if it didn't have the big battery. I said this to someone else on the forum, but you'll suffer heavily in resale if you don't. Almost everyone buying a used high spec taycan will be looking for the big battery. So if you don't get it, if/when you do sell yours, it will be passed up in favor of other cars on the market with it, unless yours is priced very low

jigglypot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7 MB 250 Taycan 4S - on order
Country flag
Should I get performance battery I’m already above my budget but my dealer said they recommend it
yes, its better performance and range. range is extremely coveted in EV land and taycan is already a somewhat low mileage car compared to others on the market so getting as much out possible is great.

Reactions: SCD

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
I have a RWD with the base battery on order and here are my reasons:
  • On a day to day basis, I don't need the extra ~30 miles of range
  • It saves 80kg
  • Batteries are a big part of environmental impact of the car (greenish, yeah?)
  • Same performance
  • ABRP showed insignificant increase in recharge times on the longer trip sample I looked at
I am still a bit on the edge since the is going to be my first EV but the more I read about it, the more I think the smaller battery will suits me well.

My 2c.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Another easy question. PB+ always. It’s an EV. Very likely you would regret not having the extra range.

Reactions: SCD

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Impossible to answer without knowing your circumstances.

Do you need the bigger battery.....

Do you do lots of long journeys?

Do you have lots of high speed chargers where you live/drive?

Will you have a home charger?

Do you have another ICE car?

Etc etc.
Sponsored