Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers!

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I assume this is country and maybe even state specific, but for example in the US who/what is pushing EA and other providers to install more chargers? My naive thought is that by purchasing an EV, an average consumer is already contributing to this, as they're increasing the demand. Is it something that's on the government level?
Well, at least for EA, it's a $2 billion court order linked to the VW dieselgate scandal. Whether they can continue their push after that money runs out is anyone's guess.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Either prevent a car from charing at higher end charger or make all chargers 350kW. The F150 Lightnging also has a max of 150kW. So I expect this problem will be around for a long time. It's nuts
Make them all 350 and future proof the infrastructure...

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Perhaps because it is not true, easy to prove so, therefore would be ridiculed for it on the internet in no time?
Very good feedback, thanks. What's your solution?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Very good feedback, thanks. What's your solution?
You're welcome. Very good question. The answer is available earlier in this thread, see post #15 and some follow up discussion of that in the rest of the thread.

Last edited:

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
It's crazy how many parallels exist between when I drove a diesel Jetta in the US and EV driving. I expect the EU folks have far more diesel availability, but it wasn't uncommon in the US for there to only be a couple pumps at each station that would dispense diesel (in addition to regular). It was not uncommon for me to show up to the station to half the pumps open, but the diesel pumps were occupied by people in gas cars who would be confused why I didn't just take the open pumps. A few people had asked me about it and I'd mention it was a diesel car, and then they'd just move on with filling then leave.

Thankfully people only need a few minutes to fill up, so it wasn't a big deal, but having "special pumps" just isn't something the general public is good at dealing with here. The only real solution is to either make all chargers the same, or make the fast chargers somehow incompatible with the slower charging cars (but that would just be worse for everyone).
Spot on. To expand on the analogy, it took years for diesel pumps to standardize as well. As recently as 2021, I encountered some of the wider nozzle old version pumps which require an adapter, as well as a couple that did not auto shut off when the tank was filled. Fun times.

It never happened to me but my wife encountered a few comments from men over the years about her putting diesel in a BMW, inferring she was making a mistake. I can see this path with EVs as well - ie “that Hyundai should be on the 150 charger, not the 350!”

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
You're welcome. Very good question. The answer is available earlier in this thread, see post #15 and some follow up discussion of that in the rest of the thread.
Thanks. My mistake for skipping that page. Lots of constructive and clearly-written discussion there for newbies like me to learn. As all of y'all work through the uncertainties and risks (including free charging offered by some manufacturers), a doable solution should be easy for the consumer to understand.

That's why I came up with a chargeport label, which I've modified below. I think it's easy to implement quickly and can be used in conjunction with whatever hardware solution comes from expert discussions.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and experiences. :like:

Porsche Taycan Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers! 1656261251646

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Here's the full charge curve on an EA 150 kW unit (CT Turbo). As you can see, basically flat at 150kW to 73%. Only drops below 120 kW at 80%. Unless you want a super quick stop & go lower in the pack, a very good option: No need to precondition, lower charging losses, lower pack temps during the charge, and less energy expended bringing temps down after the charge. Saves energy and the battery.

taycan-cross-turismo-charging-curve.jpg

taycan-cross-turismo-charging-graph.jpg
Yeah, agreed that this graph is a bit more accurate than the insideEVs one, although I do find it rare to actually get a full 150kW on a 150kW EA station. That being said, I've definitely personally seen 100kW+ rate of charge until 90% SoC.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If you go off this graph, the charge time from 5-35% is 7 minutes. The same 30% of charge at 150kW is still only 11 minutes. A difference of only 4 minutes.
This is a very good point and something I had not considered.

Even when stuck with 150kW dispensers I still never had a charge over 30 minutes.

So perhaps it's not such a big deal in the end after all. 4 mins isn't going to change my life. Hell I lose more if I hit a pump that throws errors and have to switch.

Tincan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
You’ll love this one lol. I like the bolt but 55kW peak charging rate, and the other 350kW charger here doesn’t work. 3 free 150kW

Porsche Taycan Someone Educate Mustang Block E Drivers! 853A4CD8-06CF-4D9A-A22D-BFEB46753970

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
You’ll love this one lol. I like the bolt but 55kW peak charging rate, and the other 350kW charger here doesn’t work. 3 free 150kW

853A4CD8-06CF-4D9A-A22D-BFEB46753970.jpeg
Oh man that would burn me. I usually let these go but in this case I think I'd talk to the owner as politely as I could.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
This is a very good point and something I had not considered.

Even when stuck with 150kW dispensers I still never had a charge over 30 minutes.

So perhaps it's not such a big deal in the end after all. 4 mins isn't going to change my life. Hell I lose more if I hit a pump that throws errors and have to switch.
You're correct, it's really not a big deal unless you're trying to break the Cannonball EV record or something. Taycan still charges super-quick on 150 kW.
Sponsored