Soooo….I got clipped last week, diminished value questions, etc.

Cajun Martyni

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
The comments above are correct that you can mitigate the value reduction by documenting that your car was repaired by a quality shop using OEM parts. If there is no damage beneath the skin ask the repair shop to photographically document that and to give you the photos. You will loose some potential buyers due to the CarFax report (hence the diminished value) but your photos and records will help on resale, especially with a private buyer. Also if you have another car you can make up some ground by turning down the rental car during repairs and insisting on being paid for the value of the lost use of a car like yours. You can document that through Turo with cars like yours in your area. Again, you’re probably going to need to go through the other driver’s insurance carrier to get more than just repair and a rental while your car is down for repairs. That’s more time and effort for you, so you need to make that decision.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
F that. That’s State Farm’s problem. If you have collision insurance, State Farm should be paying you and it’s their responsibility to go after GEICO. That’s why you pay for collision insurance. You may have to lay out for your deductible temporarily until they collect, but that’s it. And Porsche facilities aren’t in their group? Wtf does that mean? There is no group. They insured your car and you have the right to get it repaired where you want.

I’ve been a GEICO customer for 30 years, with multiple claims and it always went that way. They paid me and then they went after the other party.
Hey…State Farm Select Services doesn’t recognize the three accredited Porsche Collision shops in Broward County, Florida……hopefully a non issue due to the fact I’m going after the liable individual’s insurance for everything, but yes, State Farm doesn’t play nice with the three Porsche Approved collision centers in the Greater Fort Lauderdale area…but if there are monies owed above the State Farm approved repair appraisal, I would be out of pocket for the difference.

JS4S

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan 4S, 21 Cayenne S, 06 Z06, 89 Formula 350
Country flag
Keep us posted

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey…State Farm Select Services doesn’t recognize the three accredited Porsche Collision shops in Broward County, Florida……hopefully a non issue due to the fact I’m going after the liable individual’s insurance for everything, but yes, State Farm doesn’t play nice with the three Porsche Approved collision centers in the Greater Fort Lauderdale area…but if there are monies owed above the State Farm approved repair appraisal, I would be out of pocket for the difference.
Memo to me never to use State Farm for auto insurance. That’s ridiculous IMO. Porsches often need to be repaired by certified Porsche repair shops. For an insurer to say they’re simply off limits is crazy.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Memo to me never to use State Farm for auto insurance. That’s ridiculous IMO. Porsches often need to be repaired by certified Porsche repair shops. For an insurer to say they’re simply off limits is crazy.
Agreed. I dropped State Farm many years ago due to piddly crap on their part and their ever rising rates. Changed to Geico and have never had a problem.

Last edited:

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Found the following on a Florida lawyer's website:

"The at-fault party's Property Damage coverage is only required to provide parts "of like kind and quality", not necessarily OEM parts. As long as the insurance company informs you of the plans to use non-OEM parts in the written estimate for repairs and includes the following information in type 10 bold faced font, they are permitted to do so:

THIS ESTIMATE HAS BEEN PREPARED BASED ON THE USE OF CRASH PARTS SUPPLIED BY A SOURCE OTHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR MOTOR VEHICLE. THE AFTERMARKET CRASH PARTS USED IN THE PREPARATION OF THIS ESTIMATE ARE WARRANTED BY THE MANUFACTURER OR DISTRIBUTOR OF SUCH PARTS RATHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR VEHICLE.

That being said, it never hurts to ask. Some higher-end insurance companies make it a practice to only use OEM parts in their repairs. You can even argue that OEM parts are the only parts that are "of like kind and quality" if you have a newer vehicle, but many courts nationwide have ruled that aftermarket parts fit the bill “of like kind and quality”. "

That said, the Taycan is such a new vehicle that I would assume there are no third-party parts available for it yet due to newness and because there are not all that many Taycans out there yet. So, not enough money to made yet on aftermarket parts like there would be with a sedan from Honda or Toyota.

HTH

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I can’t answer your question regarding the lawyer but on the GEICO front, they also refused to accept fault until their client either picks up the phone or call them back. I then said to them “well did you even look at the video I uploaded to show she’s at fault?” 10 minutes later they called me back and accepted responsibility. Too late for this incident but you should consider investing in a dash cam. My deductible was $1k so the camera has already been paid for 2x

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
I can’t answer your question regarding the lawyer but on the GEICO front, they also refused to accept fault until their client either picks up the phone or call them back. I then said to them “well did you even look at the video I uploaded to show she’s at fault?” 10 minutes later they called me back and accepted responsibility. Too late for this incident but you should consider investing in a dash cam. My deductible was $1k so the camera has already been paid for 2x
Yup, I never even considered a dash cam, I’m naive. That said, doesn’t a dash cam only record action viewing forward and forward side angles? My “friend” came from my six o’clock to seven o’clock. I’m not sure a forward/side viewing camera would’ve made a compelling difference.

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Found the following on a Florida lawyer's website:

"The at-fault party's Property Damage coverage is only required to provide parts "of like kind and quality", not necessarily OEM parts. As long as the insurance company informs you of the plans to use non-OEM parts in the written estimate for repairs and includes the following information in type 10 bold faced font, they are permitted to do so:

THIS ESTIMATE HAS BEEN PREPARED BASED ON THE USE OF CRASH PARTS SUPPLIED BY A SOURCE OTHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR MOTOR VEHICLE. THE AFTERMARKET CRASH PARTS USED IN THE PREPARATION OF THIS ESTIMATE ARE WARRANTED BY THE MANUFACTURER OR DISTRIBUTOR OF SUCH PARTS RATHER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR VEHICLE.

That being said, it never hurts to ask. Some higher-end insurance companies make it a practice to only use OEM parts in their repairs. You can even argue that OEM parts are the only parts that are "of like kind and quality" if you have a newer vehicle, but many courts nationwide have ruled that aftermarket parts fit the bill “of like kind and quality”. "

That said, the Taycan is such a new vehicle that I would assume there are no third-party parts available for it yet due to newness and because there are not all that many Taycans out there yet. So, not enough money to made yet on aftermarket parts like there would be with a sedan from Honda or Toyota.

HTH
Thank you. Fortunately, it sounds like no replacement parts will be necessary in this particular repair, although the vehicle will still retain the proverbial scarlet letter via CarFax.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yup, I never even considered a dash cam, I’m naive. That said, doesn’t a dash cam only record action viewing forward and forward side angles? My “friend” came from my six o’clock to seven o’clock. I’m not sure a forward/side viewing camera would’ve made a compelling difference.
Yeah if you get a cheap one that's a single channel then you'd only have the front view. Mine is a 2 channel, and we caught the girl who ran into us then took off. GEICO even asked us what camera we had because it was so clear they could easily make out the license plate. I have the BlackVue DR900X

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have State Farm and had to work with them on another car (Porsche) I own - a flash flood caused water to be sucked into the coolant system and ruined the evap system. So they say Porsche centers aren’t part of their network and threaten that not all costs will be covered, but if you drop the car at the Porsche body shop, the advisor will negotiate part and labor costs with State Farm. It’s a protracted back and forth, especially when new issues are identified and the SF inspector needs to visually verify and approve new parts and labor, but they figure it out. Porsche centers *I believe* are required to use only OEM parts, and it’s amazing how they suddenly find discounts when dealing with an insurance company.

All that said, your repairs will be managed by Geico. Good luck!

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry I don't know how insurance works in America but since there was a collision and the police was involved, can't your just go through your insurance for everything? Including diminished value? Is the other person in-insured?
Yes. You should be able to go through your insurance company. You will have to pay your deductible though. They will then subrogate to collect from the other company. When they eventually collect, they will most likely refund the deductible you paid (check with them on this). I had to do this eons ago and, at the end of the day, everything was paid for. It just took a while for the subrogation bit to run its course.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Hi, yes, I have quality insurance and I’ve initiated a claim, but State Farm (my company) does not have any Porsche approved collision facilities in their group. I could be on the hook for any labor/parts cost overages. I’m going after Geico, I wasn’t at fault. State Farm is my parachute. Thank you for responding.
state farm's claims about where you can have the car repaired is a load of nonsense.

one time my wife's volvo was hit and the insurance company tried to force me to use their less costly repair shop. I insisted that only the volvo authorized shop would be acceptable. I don't remember the actual reasons but there was a law, maybe only in NJ, that I leaned on that they couldn't force me to use their preferred shop and that I had the right to chose the repair shop.

sometimes you need to be persistent with the insurance companies.

as for diminished value that is a tough nut to crack, when my tesla was hit the insurance company actually said that they were unaware of diminished value claims. after a lot of back and forth I received about 10% of the car's value, again persistence is needed.

lastly, if you carry comprehensive there should be no delay in having the repairs done, state farm is obliged to go after geico regardless of the level of cooperation of the other driver.

bottom line is that almost all of the insurance companies will attempt to pay far less than they are obliged to pay out. they do this because so many people just accept whatever nonsense they are told and do not aggressively pursue what they deserve.

good luck

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes. You should be able to go through your insurance company. You will have to pay your deductible though. They will then subrogate to collect from the other company. When they eventually collect, they will most likely refund the deductible you paid (check with them on this). I had to do this eons ago and, at the end of the day, everything was paid for. It just took a while for the subrogation bit to run its course.
This is true in most cases. I had a claim for $6k but the other party’s insurance would only accept 75% at fault when it was clearly 100% theirs so I paid a $500 deductible and filed against my own policy to them fight it out for me. My insurance fought it and gave me the $500 back some months later after the repair. On my last incident the claim is $1100 and my deductible is $1000, so I really doubt my insurance company would do a thing.

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use Chubb. They are more slightly more expensive, but hassle free. Had to replace a windshield on my R8 s couple of years ago. No hassles on using OEM parts.
Sponsored