daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
But you might have bought or sold some option thought (technically not a position in lucid stock)? ;)
no direct investements - again I don't control any "funds" I'm invested in.

my opinions here are as a car/EV enthuiast - so no I'm not shorting any Lucid position - but if I had the courage of my convictions I believe Lucid is not long for this world, and if you believe that there are investment instruments that could yield favorable returns if you believe their ultimate fate is bankruptcy…I am not advising or participating in that sort of thing.
Sponsored

AGDunc

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Sprinter 4x4 Camper
Country flag
Honestly, every time I've seen the Lucid Air mentioned as an alternative to the Taycan on YouTube I've found myself at a loss to understand why? As mentioned by the OP, and various others, it is just plain fugly.

I think the E-tron is still the only real alternative ev 'driver's car' today, and that's not really an alternative (as it's largely the same car). Everything else is much more sedan oriented (I know Porsche call the normal model a sedan, but it is really more of a GT Coupe in my opinion).

However, I agree there needs to be more competition but that seems a way off yet ...

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Personally, I think it looks hideous.

Way worse than a Camry. A massive slab sided barge.

That pic reminded me of that beauty - the Renault Avantime......
You know, the one all the schoolboys used to have posters of on their bedroom wall.
🙈

luc_one.jpg

6603388Renault-Avantime-Ia.jpg
Yikes, looks terrible when side to side with the Taycan.
The Lucid looks like a 1960s chevy.

Reactions: B61

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
while at the dealership this morning I had some time to kill. Sales manager knows I'm an EV guys - walked me over to a Lucid Air and handed me the keys and suggested I check it while they dealt with some paperwork…

I was with a buddy so we decided to check out the Lucid…I did not drive it cause I was not interested in purchasing it - but did open/close/poke/prod/investigate almost everything I could with out driving it…

Highs
  • spacious back seat
  • software that is fast, usable, simple and across the board fantastic - way way way better than PCM
  • best 3D surround view performance, quality, feature set I've seen in any vehicle - it was truly amazing how well they've done this aspect of the vehicle
  • the main dash is a thing of functional beauty - big, bright easy to read, great features and display choices
  • excellent massage seats - back and seat - good choices, good pressure - better than Porsche massage seats.
  • seat comfort was ok - material colors/choices/mixture of textures/colors really really not my vibe.
  • I didn't drive it - but I'll spot them it drives ok and has excellent industry leading range.
  • 40 amp EVSE included with the vehicle
    • NEMA 14-50
    • 9.6 kW - has not been nerfed to 4.8 kW
    • smaller than PMC+/PMCC
    • lighter than PMC+/PMCC
    • apparently doesn't overheat or melt
  • not really a "high" but the trunk is ok - but not great - but doesn't deserve to be in the "low" category
Lows
  • it's even uglier in person than in photos - my opinion
  • couldn't inspect the frunk - it wouldn't release
  • you could NOT give me this car
  • here is no way I'd spend Porsche money for this car, and it's not even Porsche cheap - it's more expensive than a Taycan
    • I wouldn't even spend Lexus/Acura money on this car - it's just so bad…
  • it had 8,000 miles on it - dec. 2021 build according to the door sticker - vin #21xx
    • and the broken touch elements, knobs, dials, buttons etc's - were all loose, broken, dysfunctional or simply poorly design
  • all the motorized elements (window shades, door handles, center screen retraction) were all wonky or disfunctional
  • the key FOB has no obvious mechanism to operate it
  • it took us 10 minutes to get the door handles to present - and we still don't know what we did to make it work
  • the design pallet motif (colors, materials, textures, mixture) is an unmitigated disaster - OMG so bad
  • build quality of the body panels - please stop giving Tesla crap - they are actually really good
    • and please please please don't tell me Tesla's are crap and then tell me you're buying a Lucid Air instead - you will lose _ALL_ credibility - it just means you hate Tesla (which is fine) but don't try and come up with a factual reason and then choose this piece of crap
  • friend with me was appalled at the overall feel and quality - really really unfavorable impression
  • many many elements of the car were worn/functional to a point that it seemed like the car had 150,000 miles on it - it only had 8,000 miles
  • I just don't see how/why anyone would choose this car over: Taycan, BMW I7, Mercedes EQS, or Tesla Model 3 or Plaid
  • it was traded in for a Cayenne Hybrid
after trade in - while sitting on lot for sale - it developed a leak - dealership sent vehicle to Lucid Service near Redwood City - it came back 4 weeks later - leak was supposedly "fixed" - started leaking again - back to the service shop - they have yet to fix it - asked dealership to take the car back while they wait for instructions/parts from Lucid (cause they are swamped) - but have no idea how to fix it - but it's a known issue and they are working on it - no ETA at this time.

I had a much better impression of Lucid Air before my time with an actual car this morning - I am no longer positive on the vehicle.

and I'm utterly confused by anyone that would swap a Taycan for this particular vehicle - I really don't see the appeal and while Taycan is not perfect - ummmm this is not the answer in my opinion.

if you don't like your Taycan - great - sorry to hear that - but I get ya - not yet perfect want something different - great - it's why we have choices - get rid of the Taycan and find something else - totally get it - right there with you! But your choice is Lucid Air? Now I'm confused - really really confused.
Solid short thesis w/ some differentiated primary research!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'll tell you what it does look....
'Fookin mahoosive' next to the Taycan (and a Taycan ain't a small car).

I imagine you could live in it.
No need for a caravan or motor home!

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I almost went through the purchase of the Air Dream Edition and it was the looks that threw me off, but that's a good way to describe it.

The drivetrain tech is pretty amazing and it's definitely cavernous on the inside in comparison to the Taycan. They seem to be having all sorts of issues ramping up production (volume and quality) and now interest in the product in term following launch. Leading with a two tone Gold / Silver probably didn't help either, gives off the retired community vibe. You can just go to the website and order available for delivery and hardly anyone even knows much about.

I know the sedan was the best way to come out with a product that has the biggest headline range and acceleration figures, but, leading with the SUV probably would've been a better call. Just look at Rivian where the pre-order numbers have been increasing even after the price hikes, opposite held true for Lucid. There's a utility and fun/it factor to it that the Air is missing.

One other thing I noticed in various forums is the fact that Saudi's have a large stake in the company, definitely seeing many comments from folks who wouldn't even consider the car just because of that.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
no direct investements - again I don't control any "funds" I'm invested in.

my opinions here are as a car/EV enthuiast - so no I'm not shorting any Lucid position - but if I had the courage of my convictions I believe Lucid is not long for this world, and if you believe that there are investment instruments that could yield favorable returns if you believe their ultimate fate is bankruptcy…I am not advising or participating in that sort of thing.
If you are willing to bet on their demise, it's not hard to short a stock. Call your broker if you don't feel like spending time figuring out how to do it via the broker's website. Of course if you are wrong and they don't sink, it could get expensive (depending on how high they go).

So I guess it all comes down to whether or not your belief in Lucid tanking is stronger than the belief in the funds you are invested in? If yes, move the money from the funds to the short position. ;)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
If you are willing to bet on their demise, it's not hard to short a stock. Call your broker if you don't feel like spending time figuring out how to do it via the broker's website. Of course if you are wrong and they don't sink, it could get expensive (depending on how high they go).

So I guess it all comes down to whether or not your belief in Lucid tanking is stronger than the belief in the funds you are invested in? If yes, move the money from the funds to the short position. ;)
I don't invest that way - but I know and you're right. I'm too chicken sh*t to put my money where my mouth is there - and I'm not willing to bet my Porsche money that I'm right.

others can be more successful than me in this space I'm fine with that.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I love the tech on the Lucid and depending on interior choices, it can be quite nice. An acquaintance in town has one of two in the area and i got to check it out. It was very nice inside for sure, but that exterior…Ugly AF. It looks like something an old grandpa would be driving back in the 80s. It also reminds me more of a Dodge Stratus too. I’d hate to see competition go down, but i dont know how much longer this company can hold out. They need a redesign on that exterior real bad and that two tone has GOT to go. They seemed to realize that with the Sapphire offering but good gosh at 250k, who’d even buy the the thing?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I also still don’t understand that two tone they are running with 😂. Then to have it all the same color or blacked/shadowed out it’s like a $3-6k option? Why
Revenue generation - make it ugly by default, make money on unuglify options.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I’ve requested cancellation of my order on four separate occasions; twice by email and twice via telephone. Still waiting, but at least no one is calling.
Tesla likes to snake peoples money the same way. I would dispute with my Credit card company to put the burden back on Lucid to prove they tried to give you your money back.
Just have proof you asked for a refund multiple times.

I got my refund back in 24 hours so they are capable

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Tesla likes to snake peoples money the same way. I would dispute with my Credit card company to put the burden back on Lucid to prove they tried to give you your money back.
Just have proof you asked for a refund multiple times.

I got my refund back in 24 hours so they are capable
Earlier this year I agreed to make my $1000 reservation deposit non-refundable in order to attempt to qualify for the tax credit. Subsequent IRS clarifications on the issue seem to have made that agreement invalid. In light of this, I asked them to refund my money (although I was grateful for the attempt on their part). I’m OK either way, but seems like they really don’t like the optics of an ever shrinking order book.

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Buick EV is a good way to describe it. I drove a Lucid Air GT, and it is shockingly fast (even compared to my Taycan 4S). The rear seat legroom is huge, the massaging seats are better than a Brookstone chair, and the motorized opening / closing frunk is a cool party trick.

BUT it's not for me. If you prioritize luxury over performance, maybe? But those attributes are only useful if the product is high quality and backed by an automaker that's still in business. Just ask the Fisker Karma folks how that worked out.
Sponsored