Standard LEDs vs. Matrix LEDs

Amy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is the last option I am deliberating over!

I don't do much driving in the evening, and motorway journeys are maybe once a month.

I am thinking standard LEDs for me would be sufficient, and I think they have adaptive functionality too?

We have an Audi s5 at the moment with Matrix, and the functionality I really like is the auto function with it getting higher beam if there is no oncoming traffic, and then automatically dimming when a vehicle approaches - not sure if that's Matrix, or whether that's standard on Taycan but think it is!

Thoughts welcome x
Sponsored

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag

I don't do much driving in the evening, and motorway journeys are maybe once a month.

I am thinking standard LEDs for me would be sufficient, and I think they have adaptive functionality too?

We have an Audi s5 at the moment with Matrix, and the functionality I really like is the auto function with it getting higher beam if there is no oncoming traffic, and then automatically dimming when a vehicle approaches - not sure if that's Matrix, or whether that's standard on Taycan but think it is!

Thoughts welcome x
If you are in Europe, LED Matrix is the future. The light given by the LEDs is unbelievable. In the US we have antiquated laws that don't allow this function to be turned on but I would say if you can get, you should. It is included in packages offered by Porsche in the US so it is easy to choose because it is in the Premium Package. I say tick it. The lights look really cool on the car versus the regular lens.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Standard LED lights with PDLS Plus on 4S which I think gives you the auto beam (check with dealer but from memory I think that's what the "Plus" refers to)..

Cosmetically they do look different to the matrix unit but not a reason to choose over the standard given the not insignificant additional cost (welcome to the world of premium Porsche pricing).

The matrix units are good in specific situations which sounds like you may never see the benefit. On a car at this price they should be standard.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
Standards LEDs are fine
Projection distance is the same and they automatically dip and high beam when cars aren’t in the way

Alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW 435i, X5, Range Rover Sport TDV8
Country flag
I'm a massive fan of the matrix element of the lights.

If you do much driving in the dark they make a massive difference. Like driving with main beam on all the time with a little box around anything that would otherwise be dazzled.

I'm in the 'get them' camp. Added bonus being I love the glacier blue version.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
If you are in Europe, LED Matrix is the future. The light given by the LEDs is unbelievable. In the US we have antiquated laws that don't allow this function to be turned on but I would say if you can get, you should.
Another reason is that Porsche claims IF we ever update our laws the martix LED function will be “unlocked” by software in the US. And consider it is such a great safety feature I would get it hoping we catch up, one day....

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Another reason is that Porsche claims IF we ever update our laws the martix LED function will be “unlocked” by software in the US. And consider it is such a great safety feature I would get it hoping we catch up, one day....
We need to band together and get the NHTSA to change the rule.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag

Thoughts welcome x

Yes I agree - the standard LED lights are grand - I had them on my 4S and it’s same spec for my Turbo that’s ready for collection now ?

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I ordered my Taycan with standard LED lights. I'll use the thing around town 90% of the time and I don't like highway driving at night, which makes it a useless and expensive option for me.

OP
OP

Amy84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Standard it is :)

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I've got standard lights and they're fine. Matrix good though if you do lots of night driving on unlit roads.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW Matrix provides some neato light on / off effects. Now are those worth the hefty price tag...

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone have a photo of the standard LED with daytime running lights? Do they still have the classic 4-corner lights?

I can see a slight difference on the configurator with lights turned off, but would like to see real world difference.

Levee

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A5
Country flag

Thoughts welcome x
Having come from an A5 with Matrix LEDs - I know exactly what you mean, this was definitely a feature I wanted to keep.

For those who don't understand it's not the same as auto dipping on the main beams but rather keeps full beam on whilst selectively switching off LEDs to create dark patches in the field of illumination where other vehicles are - it's just incredible watching it do it, the dark patches magically move with the other vehicle(s) to prevent them being dazzled but otherwise lighting up everything else -so much better for night time driving. I don't believe the normal LEDs do this (I think they just auto dip?) and for me it was a must have.

Looking at it now - yeah it does look better too but the functionality was definitely the draw for me.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Having come from an A5 with Matrix LEDs - I know exactly what you mean, this was definitely a feature I wanted to keep.

For those who don't understand it's not the same as auto dipping on the main beams but rather keeps full beam on whilst selectively switching off LEDs to create dark patches in the field of illumination where other vehicles are - it's just incredible watching it do it, the dark patches magically move with the other vehicle(s) to prevent them being dazzled but otherwise lighting up everything else -so much better for night time driving. I don't believe the normal LEDs do this (I think they just auto dip?) and for me it was a must have.

Looking at it now - yeah it does look better too but the functionality was definitely the draw for me.
Thanks for explaining.
Sponsored