Taycan.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 GT3 Touring; BMW X7 M50i
Country flag
Almost every generation of every Porsche model that I can think of over the past 15 years has received a revised tail lamp design in connection with the mid-cycle refresh
Sponsored

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
I’d like to see the HUD integrated into the dashboards design properly so it looks slick. At the moment it looks like a total afterthought.
Like with the new Mercs, some kind of augmented reality HUD nav would be welcomed.

As I’ve mentioned in previous threads, I’d love to see the option of a digital rear view mirror.

22kw AC charging as standard makes little financial / practical sense. However, the inclusion of 150kw DC as standard would be far more savvy.

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Do we even know a facelift is going to happen (and if so for MY24)? I guess we can assume Porsche will treat Taycan just like their ICE cars, unless there's any reason not to?

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Do we even know a facelift is going to happen (and if so for MY24)? I guess we can assume Porsche will treat Taycan just like their ICE cars, unless there's any reason not to?
We don’t, but going on Porsche’s track record with previous models, it’ll likely be MY25.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’d like to see the HUD integrated into the dashboards design properly so it looks slick. At the moment it looks like a total afterthought.
Like with the new Mercs, some kind of augmented reality HUD nav would be welcomed.

As I’ve mentioned in previous threads, I’d love to see the option of a digital rear view mirror.

22kw AC charging as standard makes little financial / practical sense. However, the inclusion of 150kw DC as standard would be far more savvy.
agree with your point on 150kw 400V entirely.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
What they really need to do is make the PCM interface as fluid and responsive as possible so it doesn't stick for half a second to load a menu and distract the user if that's the only input method.
For sure if there is a refresh, it will have a faster CPU running the PCM. A faster CPU in the PCM would 'encourage' Taycan owners to upgrade to the newer model.
Its tough to say if the body design needs an update since the design is pretty efficient as it is.
In addition, Porsche needs an update on the Innodrive CPU hardware to make it 'better'. It needs to go from 'ok' to 'great' to keep up with other car manufacturers.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Almost every generation of every Porsche model that I can think of over the past 15 years has received a revised tail lamp design in connection with the mid-cycle refresh
It wouldn’t surprise me if they eventually added the animated lights that the Mission E had and that are still shown in the boot up/shut down animations in the dash.

I very much doubt there are regulatory issues seeing how Audi already has something quite similar.

Deleted member 6348

I would not presume the same facelift schedule as the ICE Porsche cars. It’s not like they need to meet new emissions requirements.

Facelifts are done to refresh aging models until the next generation. There’s so much Taycan demand that there’s really no need for a Facelift.

With regards to other predictions in this thread…
  • I would not expect any substantial or shocking changes to the powertrain/battery. Big range improvements will be in the next Gen cars, not .2 release.
  • 22kw is a useless option. Most homes can’t even support it. It broke Plug n Charge for a lot of owners. You will never encounter 22kw AC charging in the wild. If you want fast charging, that’s what DC is for. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go away entirely.
  • Porsche doesn’t make optional features free… ever, unless there’s some regulatory reason (see backup cameras)
My predictions, when we do actually see a facelift…
  • PCM 7 to match the new Macan EV
  • Innodrive 2.0 with some additional sensors and more capabilities, launches exclusively for Taycan before other models
  • Headlight and/or taillight design updates — Porsche always intentionally does this to make older cars look dated.
  • More wheel options that reduce drag
  • Revised front fascia that attempts to further reduce drag
  • Any range improvement comes from software and those aero tweaks.
  • One or two special editions with liveries and unique interiors

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
22kw is a useless option.
Useless? I’m quite sure that’s not true.

I have the 19.2kW AC charger. It’s purpose was to be able to add as much energy as possible if the car is home for an hour between errands on busy weekends.

So, there’s a use, right there. Ergo, not useless.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Forget the model year updates, this is an EU manufacturer and all the main stuff is done at mid life refresh, then new model, ie. 996.1 / 996.2 / 997.1 / 997.2
Big upgrades on similar chassis every 4-5 years over 15-16 years or so.

With the 4-5 year mid life cycle not that far off considering lead times are crazy, I'm seriously thinking of putting an interest deposit in with my dealer on the Taycan.2 so I can slot straight into it.

My question is this: What differences do you foresee there being from my Gen 1GTS to the Gen2 car at launch?

I know battery tech hasn't made any huge leaps but I'll stick my neck out and make some guesses:
  • new body kit
  • new wheel options with some older ones still available
  • 20% range increase to 360miles
  • I really hope there will be less digital controls and more real buttons i can't understand this mindless move to dangerous touchscreen gimmics. It's not very Porsche is it.
  • Revised arm rest that isn't designed by a madman
  • 22KW charging as standard
  • Car play on dashboard as well as just centre screen
  • a couple of different colours swapped in at the expense of poorly selling colours.
  • a touch more power (although maybe a halo model with over 1000BHP though to make a point to rival brands)
Anyone care to add to that?
Well battery tech made huge advances, just not for Porsche. They still cry over EU ICE ban 2035.

My wish list:

1. Improved power electronics for better performance AND reduced consumption!

2. New better larger battery.

3. Soft close on all passenger doors.

4. Most important! Continous bug fixes!!!

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
Useless? I’m quite sure that’s not true.

I have the 19.2kW AC charger. It’s purpose was to be able to add as much energy as possible if the car is home for an hour between errands on busy weekends.

So, there’s a use, right there. Ergo, not useless.
22kW is not ‘essential’, but is is quite handy. In Australia, 3 phase power is common in homes (albeit not ubiquitous) so 22kW charging at home is accessible. Moreover, many public charging stations here are 22kW whereas DC charging stations are rare. In these circumstances, the 22kW option makes perfect sense.

OP
OP
SushiStu

SushiStu

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 996.2 C2 Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I can't see the battery getting any bigger than it is now as it will just be too heavy. It's about efficiency from here on out.

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
I can't see the battery getting any bigger than it is now as it will just be too heavy. It's about efficiency from here on out.
Yeah agree with this or more light weight batteries. I think for the Cayman EV they have already stated the aim is to get the weight to approx 1700 kg. Efficiency is the key component here along with faster charging times. 800v is great at approx 20 mins from 5% - 80% but they need to keep pushing this to get it to around the time it takes to refuel with petrol/gas at around <5 mins.

Most people do not need massive range, 300 miles will be sufficient as long as charging speeds come way down.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Agreed, Porsche will start producing its own batteries using silicone anode technology in 2024 through its 83.75% stake in Customcells. Output from Customcells is very small so unlikely to find its way into the Taycan anytime soon. It would be nice to see a bit of improvement in range in future model years. The worst case +/- 200miles of motorway driving is just a bit low for my liking....another 40 miles would really help with my regular weekly trips 😀
Sponsored