daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Jancha - in the US the 9.6 kW PMCC overheats it’s NEMA 14-50 plug - and at a cost of about $1200 or more - there are several better $300 & $400 chargers that do an equal job for way less money.
  • it’s big
  • it’s heavy
  • in the US it lacks a range of useful NEMA plug adapter for a reasonable price
    • Porascxhe chargers $300 or more for other NEMA plug adatpers - you can purchase an entire EVSE for that cost
  • it’s only 9.6 kW not 11 kW
  • the touch screen and WiFi are excess and barely useful
  • if you’re using it outside or in the sun the NEMA 14-50 plug will get hot enough to physically burn your skin if happen to touch it
  • and it has a number of software faults.
here is a $349 40 amp (9.6 kW) that is better quality, more portable, lighter, and more reliable than the Porsche $1200 option

https://www.mustartsolutions.com/co...rging-station-with-nema-14-50p-update-version
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
@Jancha - in the US the 9.6 kW PMCC overheats it’s NEMA 14-50 plug - and at a cost of about $1200 or more - there are several better $300 & $400 chargers that do an equal job for way less money.
  • it’s big
  • it’s heavy
  • in the US it lacks a range of useful NEMA plug adapter for a reasonable price
    • Porascxhe chargers $300 or more for other NEMA plug adatpers - you can purchase an entire EVSE for that cost
  • it’s only 9.6 kW not 11 kW
  • the touch screen and WiFi are excess and barely useful
  • if you’re using it outside or in the sun the NEMA 14-50 plug will get hot enough to physically burn your skin if happen to touch it
  • and it has a number of software faults.
here is a $349 40 amp (9.6 kW) that is better quality, more portable, lighter, and more reliable than the Porsche $1200 option

https://www.mustartsolutions.com/co...rging-station-with-nema-14-50p-update-version
Ok, point taken ;) happy to be on the other side of the ocean for this matter.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Has anyone heard of (or experienced) similar problems with the standard PMC unit disappearing?

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Has anyone heard of (or experienced) similar problems with the standard PMC unit disappearing?
My Turbo S came in last week without mounting hardware for the PMCC. My saleperson advised me to go to Home Depot. I'll escalate it next week if Parts can't satisfy.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My Turbo S came in last week without mounting hardware for the PMCC. My saleperson advised me to go to Home Depot. I'll escalate it next week if Parts can't satisfy.
wow, that is a terrible answer. it just goes to show you that at some stores they are true to their roots of car salesmen.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I couldn't agree with you more. This is the exact phrase I used. And you are on to something in that the supply chain didn't have any room for failure because Porsche didn't anticipate that dealers would pass along the part and they didn't think to make sure there was a surplus of PMCC up front. Now, I believe this is a legitimate problem in the supply chain (something global/macro level) and the dealership community can't mitigate it.
When did Bernie Madoff start running Porsche?

AJDiBianca

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have Porsche PMCC at one house and ChargePoint ($699 on Amazon) at the other. IMHO both are equally capable. Same except for price. Both are wired to 50A 220V dedicated circuits. Charging time is exactly the same. Hope that helps...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hello everyone. I just took delivery of our Taycan 4s on Saturday and I'm loving it so far. While I was waiting for admin approval for my forum registration I have been browsing the posts here and have already learned so much useful information.

There is one topic that I haven't seen posted so it feels like I'm the only one experiencing this. Let me preface this by saying I know I shouldn't have left the dealership with the car if I thought this would be a problem, and ultimately we can work around it for now. That said, we were told this would only last a few days and the reason it happened still doesn't make any sense.
My Taycan came without PMCC, it was shipped 2 weeks later via Shanghai.

Tack a picture what is missing, go back to your dealer and make sure you get your charger. If there is a problem with your sales guy complain.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I’ve not heard this

the PMCC sucks it’s a terrible EV charger
It doesn't!

I can charge any EV with it. Tested it last Sunday with our ROEWE EV we have.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s delivered with PMCC missing. 20200905_185645
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s delivered with PMCC missing. 20200902_220209

It is easy to use, compatible, has a lock for semi public installation and charging history. The only charger that truly sucked after 50k km and 4 years is this one:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s delivered with PMCC missing. 1614302418056

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
wow, that is a terrible answer. it just goes to show you that at some stores they are true to their roots of car salesmen.
I wonder. After handover my sales guy told me a few times to please tell on the evaluation call I will get soon, that he did an excellent job.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I wonder. After handover my sales guy told me a few times to please tell on the evaluation call I will get soon, that he did an excellent job.
If its the same as other brands, they salesman only gets the bonus commission for 5 star / excellent / highest rating.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
It doesn't!

I can charge any EV with it. Tested it last Sunday with our ROEWE EV we have.

20200905_185645.jpg
20200902_220209.jpg

It is easy to use, compatible, has a lock for semi public installation and charging history. The only charger that truly sucked after 50k km and 4 years is this one:

1614302418056.jpeg
that looks like bad wiring - not a bad charger - the wire that melted is the external power source wire - it either was under spec, poorly manufactured (wire defect) or wasn't seated/tightened properly - that's not the chargers fault - it's an installation problem - nothing about that photo implicates the charger.

same thing could/would happen with PMCC, ClipperCreek or any other EVSE poorly installed with bad wiring.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The basic mount is an $163 option in the US configurator. So if you did not check the box you are not getting it.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is not the charger's fault. That wire connector was not properly tightened and the loose connection caused overheating.

Last edited:

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The basic mount is an $180 option in the configurator. So if you did not check the box you are not getting it.
"Your charger will come with a holder for convenient wall mounting."
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s delivered with PMCC missing. Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 10.24.22 AM
Sponsored