Giulio

First Name
GIULIO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACAN S, TAYCAN RWD
Country flag
Sorry, but I don't feel like the base model Panamera, Macan, Cayenne have more acceleration...ok, Taycan is electric and more is expected but I don't find it embarrassing or different from other Porsche base models.
Sponsored

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
Sorry, but I don't feel like the base model Panamera, Macan, Cayenne have more acceleration...ok, Taycan is electric and more is expected but I don't find it embarrassing or different from other Porsche base models.
Exactly!

For me the RWD is more than fast enough for daily use, but I must admit I do miss the exiting wow. My Polestar does 0-100 in 4.4 and on top of that is mapped more aggressively - so overall it feels a lot quicker.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Personally, for the way I use my CT4S 99% of the time, the RWD acceleration would have been more than enough to meet my needs. If I had to, I could have given up my 1% use case (infrequent boy racer).

For you RWD owners, what is your use case that reveals an acceleration deficiency?
My only use case that reveals an acceleration deficiency is when racing my neighbor in his 911. Luckily for me, he is too much of a puss to redline the thing, so I usually hold my own; but I would prefer to thoroughly embarrass him and his global warming ICE mobile. ;) So to answer your question, when operating my car in a mostly legal manner, there is no acceleration deficiency use case.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
If you think the base RWD is slow, I don't think you can be driving it properly.

The 0-60 times for the RWD are exactly the same as the first generation 997. Did Porsche sell those as a slow car? Sure, it may be slow compared with other electric cars, but do you want your passengers throwing up every time you give them a demonstration?

I'm not in the slightest embarrassed driving mine. And it's not just off the line it's impressive - the way it pulls at motorway speeds is equally dramatic, and potentially licence-damaging.

We've all become accustomed to sub-3 second 0-60 times now, but cast your memory back 20 years and you had to shell out serious money to get those speeds.

There's more to driving than traffic light battles, but then I am in the UK 😆
If I'd paid $30,000-$90,000 more for blistering speed, I might be tempted to look askance at the Taycan RWD also. However, as a previous 996 owner, I can attest that by those standards the Taycan is comparable and acceleration smoother.

OP
OP

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
interesting topic, I guess that for some people that only drived EVs for the last 12 years different car brands, compared the efficiency, dynamics and how fast they are with other EVs., no ICE cars. .

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My general sentiment is that the Taycan RWD is plenty fine for normal driving but… it’s still slow by *today’s* standards. For $100k plus it really needs to be faster than a Tesla Long Range. This is a Porsche, not a MB luxo-barge - it should be considered “fast” overall.

Again, it’s not slow, but it’s comparatively slow. It’s a tad slower than my 2012 BMW M3 V8 so really not that bad as that was a fast car at the time. But for $100k+ I’m not comparing it to cars built 12 years ago, it needs to compete with cars built today.

I think part of the problem is that Porsche has too many darn trims. Base, 4, 4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S - the car can only go so fast, so when you start backing off the times to differentiate the trims you end up too slow on the low end.

In my perfect world, the 4S would be the base and cost the same as the base. Speed is roughly on par with the Tesla LR at roughly twice the price of a Tesla LR.

The talk about not getting tickets and keeping your license is just ridiculous. That’s on the driver, not the car. If you’re so worried about tickets, drive on comfort or eco mode and/or set the speed limiter. Heck, if you’re that worried, why are you buying a *sports sedan*?

Nice car, love it - but its slowness is a disservice in this price range and with the brand reputation IMHO. Hopefully this is better addressed in J2 in 3-4 years when the next body style comes out.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
If someone wants to fly past me on the freeway because he lacks self esteem, I'm fine with it. I didn't buy the car to race it. My measure of performance is to answer the question, "can this car get me out of trouble quickly if necessary," and on that measure it satisfies.

However I agree with the general consensus that even the entry level Porsche EV should perform on par (or better) than its contemporary competition.

deanbush

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I have a 2021 RWD, love the driving dynamic, however is so slow, 0-60 5.1 sec. The only EVs that can beat are Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt and perhaps the smaller battery Model Y which is embarrassing. I heard that the new RWD have different acceleration mappin that makes the car feel faster. Has anyone asked the dealer for throttle mapping update?
My Tesla Model S goes from 0-60 within 2.2 seconds! However, I'm trading "down" to the Taycan RWD because I don't really care anymore about fast acceleration---as long as the car will maintain speed. I've enjoyed fast acceleration for the past four years with Tesla, but now I want to try out Porsche. When I test drove the Taycan, I noticed the acceleration wasn't as fast as that of Tesla but it was certainly fast enough to get out of the way. Maybe my attitude about it will change in the future. Time will tell.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
My general sentiment is that the Taycan RWD is plenty fine for normal driving but… it’s still slow by *today’s* standards. For $100k plus it really needs to be faster than a Tesla Long Range. This is a Porsche, not a MB luxo-barge - it should be considered “fast” overall.

Again, it’s not slow, but it’s comparatively slow. It’s a tad slower than my 2012 BMW M3 V8 so really not that bad as that was a fast car at the time. But for $100k+ I’m not comparing it to cars built 12 years ago, it needs to compete with cars built today.

I think part of the problem is that Porsche has too many darn trims. Base, 4, 4S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S - the car can only go so fast, so when you start backing off the times to differentiate the trims you end up too slow on the low end.

In my perfect world, the 4S would be the base and cost the same as the base. Speed is roughly on par with the Tesla LR at roughly twice the price of a Tesla LR.

The talk about not getting tickets and keeping your license is just ridiculous. That’s on the driver, not the car. If you’re so worried about tickets, drive on comfort or eco mode and/or set the speed limiter. Heck, if you’re that worried, why are you buying a *sports sedan*?

Nice car, love it - but its slowness is a disservice in this price range and with the brand reputation IMHO. Hopefully this is better addressed in J2 in 3-4 years when the next body style comes out.
Already addressed with the mid cycle refresh. New rwd now has ~20% more torque from standstill, giving it 0.6 sec faster 0-60, which is all it needed really.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
I found rwd has a good balance in terms of its size, heavy weight, comfort, and consumption. 5.1 seconds isn't bad it has achieved from static. Somewhere has to be sacrificed to make that balancing.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Already addressed with the mid cycle refresh. New rwd now has ~20% more torque from standstill, giving it 0.6 sec faster 0-60, which is all it needed really.
Not really, I could care less about launch control numbers. I want the power on tap for every day non-launch control use. I feel this reliance on launch control numbers is misleading.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Not really, I could care less about launch control numbers. I want the power on tap for every day non-launch control use. I feel this reliance on launch control numbers is misleading.
Mid cycle refresh also addresses that. Entire power torque and acceleration us now available during non lc mode for RWD.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
My guess is that you have never owned or driven or GT3.
Sponsored