OP
OP

Benjamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twingo
Country flag
Just got a call from my Porsche dealer's service manager: my 2020 4S has been successfully updated with WMA5/7 BUT the OTA module now seems to be unresponsive and needs to be replaced with a new one which has to be shipped in from Germany. Since the Taycan is driveable - other than OTA updates or Connect connections - I was given two options: 1) leave the car at the dealer until the new OTA module is installed and continue to use the loaner meanwhile, or 2) pick it up today and return it to the dealer when the part is in. I opted for 1).
Now we are talking.
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Just got a call from my Porsche dealer's service manager: my 2020 4S has been successfully updated with WMA5/7 BUT the OTA module now seems to be unresponsive and needs to be replaced with a new one which has to be shipped in from Germany. Since the Taycan is driveable - other than OTA updates or Connect connections - I was given two options: 1) leave the car at the dealer until the new OTA module is installed and continue to use the loaner meanwhile, or 2) pick it up today and return it to the dealer when the part is in. I opted for 1).
My brand new car was delivered updated with the new software this week but no ability to connect. They are still looking into the issue. I was presented with similar options but chose option 2. I was too anxious to drive the car and didn’t want to wait. Not having connectivity is annoying though.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
It’s clear Porsche needs a distribution center with inventory in North America. They should have a 24-48 hour SLA on most parts if they really wanted to provide a superior customer experience.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
My brand new car was delivered updated with the new software this week but no ability to connect. They are still looking into the issue. I was presented with similar options but chose option 2. I was too anxious to drive the car and didn’t want to wait. Not having connectivity is annoying though.
Surprising that with some many OTA modules being reported (at least on this forum) as needing to be swapped, those parts are not being kept readily available in North America.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Surprising that with some many OTA modules being reported (at least on this forum) as needing to be swapped, those parts are not being kept readily available in North America.
If it‘s any consolation (which it isn’t) - the distance from Norway to Stuttgart isn’t all that huge on a globe - but lemme tell ya about real life.... going into day 4 on my update - no word from the dealer today regarding PCM replacement. Good thing I’m old and have long since learned not to hold my breath in anticipation for most anything ;)

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OTA's have been an issue for most.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
My UK 2020 4S has been at the dealer since Tuesday. Stages 1-4 completed (although required multiple retries). Stage 5 however refuses to complete. Tried 6 times failing at various points. Porsche AG now requesting diagnostic logs. According to the dealer I’m with (Brooklands) they have had issues with every car so far. Reading also confirmed the same thing. Porsche GB now having to arrange a loan car as they have no idea how long it will take to resolve.

Can’t understand how Porsche have released software/hardware that is so hard to update. No update should take days to install - if it does and even if it works first time it is very bad design.

Last edited:

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
MY21 Turbo S, update took less than 24 hours, no settings were erased, all works ok except I lost online radio and dynamic lighting. Both tell me not available. Will wait a day to see what happens.
Online radio is back but Dynamic Lighting has disappeared all together along with News and Weather.....

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Here is my experience:
  • News on Passenger Screen is gone. Icon is there in center, but it doesn’t seem to work. (Not that it really worked before the update.)
  • No Dynamic Lighting Option. However, I don’t know if I ever had Dynamic Lighting. It isn’t there now.
Otherwise, the update was great. Not sure I even care that much about the above.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I just received my 2020 Turbo S back from my dealer after the tech spent 12 hours on it. This is his 7th car and he hasn't had a single problem. He did take 17 hours for the first car, and has reduced the time every car.

I did not have to reprogram or re-initialize anything. Everything works perfectly as before, and all the new features are working perfectly with the exception of the plug-and-charge (pac). The pac evidently will not work with the cars that have the 150kV 400V charger option installed. Lucky me... However, I checked out the regular charging on the fast charge station and it works perfectly. I do not have a problem clicking a few times on my iPhone when I need to use a high power charger. Home charging works as before.

Smartlift works, wireless CarPlay works, Homelink works, passenger screen on during driving works, new display looks great, dynamic ambient lighting works , Innodrive works, and there are a number of new functions available that I haven't tried yet. Basically the car was returned to me with a whole lot of upgrades, no problems and no additional work needed on my part.

I will again say that I believe this is a dealer training issue. I doubt very much that some dealers are getting bad software and therefore can't upgrade any cars. The software is certainly difficult to install, and requires a very good tech and dealership. But when properly installed, this is a fantastic upgrade!!:clap:

Last edited:

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
2021 4S updated with WMA6 - Completed in 6 hrs. All previous settings retained including Porsche connect uid, home link, pcm favorite, seat settings etc. Display boots a tad quicker. Newer cars need less time to update. 2020’s need lots more code pushed To the car. So far so good.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just received my 2020 Turbo S back from my dealer after the tech spent 12 hours on it. This is his 7th car and he hasn't had a single problem. He did take 17 hours for the first car, and has reduced the time every car.

I did not have to reprogram or re-initialize anything. Everything works perfectly as before, and all the new features are working perfectly with the exception of the plug-and-charge (pac). The pac evidently will not work with the cars that have the 150kV 400V charger option installed. Lucky me... However, I checked out the regular charging on the fast charge station and it works perfectly, with some updates to the Porsche Connect so it is even simpler. I do not have a problem clicking a few times on my iPhone when I need to use a high power charger. Home charging works as before.

Auto-lift works, wireless CarPlay works, Homelink works, passenger screen on during driving works, new display looks great, dynamic ambient lighting works , Innodrive works, and there are a number of new functions available that I haven't tried yet. Basically the car was returned to me with a whole lot of upgrades, no problems and no additional work needed on my part.

I will again say that I believe this is a dealer training issue. I doubt very much that some dealers are getting bad software and therefore can't upgrade any cars. The software is certainly difficult to install, and requires a very good tech and dealership. But when properly installed, this is a fantastic upgrade!!:clap:
When you say homelink works, do you mean the GPS now shows you where you are and not "off-road" and pulls up the home link screen when you get to the set GPS location?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
When you say homelink works, do you mean the GPS now shows you where you are and not "off-road" and pulls up the home link screen when you get to the set GPS location?
No, I didn't set homelink to GPS, just manually programmed the button on the steering wheel, and button still operates garage door with no need to reprogram.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
This is the first I’ve heard of the 400V option interfering with PAC. Is there any documentation on that?

LaRu

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Which model year??? I am still booked on Tuesday the 6th :rolleyes:
I would hold off on accurate troubleshooting by Porsche on that if it's not too late. I bought the 2021 4S and the software update caused missed. Picked it up two weeks ago, drove it three times, and it's been in service ever since.
Sponsored