Taycan software update - reported problems post update

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Safety feature? That was 24 miles (39km) away from where I was. It is even a differently county. And I was neither driving towards that direction nor had a destination in my navigation in that area.
I have never seen a warning being so off in any other car or phone navigation app.

The only safety issue is in this case was the useless warning itself forcing me to read it and figure out what it is while driving.
Apparently this is intentional since the update is meant to "optimise" traffic notifications. I think before the update there were rarely traffic notifications at all. That said, if the person was still driving down the wrong way by the time you got to him/her 24 miles away, something has gone very wrong over in that county.
Sponsored

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Safety feature? That was 24 miles (39km) away from where I was. It is even a differently county. And I was neither driving towards that direction nor had a destination in my navigation in that area.
I have never seen a warning being so off in any other car or phone navigation app.

The only safety issue is in this case was the useless warning itself forcing me to read it and figure out what it is while driving.
My BMW i3 has always done the same thing with these kinds of traffic warnings. I've actually only ever seen them for wrong-way traffic.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I already reported in earlier post that my PCM freezes and restarts on its own after the update. It happened again today. It seems to happen when I browse the settings menu.
It freeze for about a minute (so I have enough time to pull my phone and record it), then it restarts and shows "TC_RESTRICTION_REASON_OTHER" then "Function Currently Not Available" then everything works again. Last time I was trying to access "Smart Lift setting". Today I was trying to exit the "Assistance system settings". After restarting, I can perform those actions.

• Wow
Reactions: Dee

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Well, tomorrow it‘s been a week since I dropped the car off for the upgrade. No word from dealer since Thursday, so not feeling all to optimistic of having it back this coming week even. I’d be inclined to agree with those here that thinks it’s very dependent on the dealer’s competence in regards of how these upgrades plays out. And if it were in ”my world” (i.e. IT) the company responsible would make damn sure everyone tasked with performing such critical upgrades would be trained accordingly.

Winter’s finally gradually releasing her grip down here by the waterfront... now should I switch out the winter tires on the convertible in the hope that next weekend’s trip to the cabin can be done with the Taycan? Or will I be taking the convertible up the mountain, with the Taycan still at the dealer for the second week?? :oops:

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Well, tomorrow it‘s been a week since I dropped the car off for the upgrade. No word from dealer since Thursday, so not feeling all to optimistic of having it back this coming week even. I’d be inclined to agree with those here that thinks it’s very dependent on the dealer’s competence in regards of how these upgrades plays out. And if it were in ”my world” (i.e. IT) the company responsible would make damn sure everyone tasked with performing such critical upgrades would be trained accordingly.

Winter’s finally gradually releasing her grip down here by the waterfront... now should I switch out the winter tires on the convertible in the hope that next weekend’s trip to the cabin can be done with the Taycan? Or will I be taking the convertible up the mountain, with the Taycan still at the dealer for the second week?? :oops:
======================================

I brought my MY20 T4S into the dealer for the software upgrade on Monday 4/5 and expected that I would not see it for at least 3 days. On Wed, the service writer told me that the upgrade killed the 12V battery. They ordered a replacement which was due on Thursday, but It didn't arrive until mid-day Friday. Friday afternoon, the service writer told me that I would need to leave my car in the shop over the weekend. Tomorrow, Monday starts week two, hopefully, I won't see week three!

I don't know how far they got in the upgrade process when the original battery failed, and I have no idea how many more days this will take. I'm astonished that my dealer does not stock at least one 12V battery in their parts department inventory give the frequency of 12V battery failures, even those that are not related to the software upgrade,

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Picked up the Taycan today, PCM replaced and upgrades done. Initially no DAB, Apple Music or wireless CarPlay. There was two media updates in queue - so installed those, switched the car from Private Mode to my profile and DAB & Apple Music was back.

Wireless CarPlay is still not working, and I can’t for the life of me figure out what switches need to be switched in order to get it working. Works fine by cable, as before, just not through wireless. Folding mirrors when locked no longer folding. Oh well... you win some, you loose some I guess.

Dealer had washed the car, so that was nice :)
And removed my duct tape that I’d used to stick the fuse box cover in place after having to do the 12volt dance three times. Cover was a pita to reattach. Dealer got it fixed.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see no issues so far with the update (Car did have the AC go out and that needed to be repaired - non update related). Wireless Apple car play is great, the ambient lighting switches based on album covers. No other noticeable differences.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay is still not working, and I can’t for the life of me figure out what switches need to be switched in order to get it working. Works fine by cable, as before, just not through wireless. Folding mirrors when locked no longer folding. Oh well... you win some, you loose some I guess.
I had difficulty as well, since there are no prompts. I connected my iPhone via Bluetooth. Then, when you look at devices, you'll see a number of icons in the row for your iPhone, including one for CarPlay furthest right. Tap that icon, and your car should eventually see it as wireless. It may take a few drives and maybe one more wired connection for that to happen.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had difficulty as well, since there are no prompts. I connected my iPhone via Bluetooth. Then, when you look at devices, you'll see a number of icons in the row for your iPhone, including one for CarPlay furthest right. Tap that icon, and your car should eventually see it as wireless. It may take a few drives and maybe one more wired connection for that to happen.
I had to press it in device manager a few times also, now it connects automatically every time i get in.

Only thing I can't figure out is the raising of the car by GPS location

TaycanAZ

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, Panamera, 911 C2S
Country flag
Huge problem following update- My 2020 Taycan Turbo has issue with Driver Assistance features. Innodrive no longer works, following distance in ACC works, but isn't indicated in the screen, and worst of all, it goes into cruise without any indication that the car is in cruise, no light, no anything except a depressed accelerator pedal! Very dangerous. The issues used to by ticky-tack PCM stuff, but this gives me no-confidence in the car at this point. Anyone else have any driver assistance issues?

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had to press it in device manager a few times also, now it connects automatically every time i get in.

Only thing I can't figure out is the raising of the car by GPS location
Yes, got it to work now by repeatedly pressing the CarPlay icon!

I usually raise my car manually when coming into my driveway. Today after doing so and pressing “Park” the car asked me if I wanted to save the raise location. Not sure how to set this when actually driving (e.g. going over speedbumps) though. Will experiment further.

Cinbow

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car went in for the update on Tuesday. I got it back yesterday. Indeed things work better and smartlift is very handy.

However I also have noticed one problem. My active lane keeping is gone. My lane keep assist is still there. Porsche is now checking what happened. Hopefully it can be put back in the PCM over-the-air which is now switched on.

These were both not working when I took mine in for the update. Along with ambient lighting, seat memory, AC on one side in rear, random child locking happening, door unlocking approach.
When I took it in for the update- I already had an appointment set up for these issues- my service manager dismissed them as all “ programmable.” Aka user error.

I tried to explain that when I had the post delivery session with Eli-Austin- he said there was definitely a gremlin in my PCM. Pretty sure the guy was an expert.
Anyway, here we are, day 12. Service manager did not respond Saturday. Today he texted that he talked to service guys and they need my charger from my garage and could I bring it in? Seriously?! 12 days later! Has anyone else had this request? Getting pretty annoyed. Sometimes being a small woman I feel I don’t get taken seriously so I had my attorney husband call and suddenly they came and picked up the charger and said the car should be ready tomorrow. Imagine that? ?
The Macon they leant me with the giant PORSCHE LOANER sticker on the back is great for transporting my my dog in an emergency, but when I punch it... it sounds like a lawnmower. Ha joking.. kind of.

I asked the dealership for a Taycan loaner and my service manager said they only had one. This is the big new dealership in Austin. The feeling I get with Porsche is that they don’t even try. I guess enough people want Porsche’s that they don’t really need to try to sell or keep customers happy. Or maybe that’s just my experience?
At closing the manager said they would deliver and install plates for me. When I got the plates call and mentioned this, the lady calling had never heard of the practice.

If I didn’t love driving the damn thing so much I would just trade it in now but I’m hooked. Thanks for he vent ;)

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I also brought in my 2020 4S for the WMA5/7 updates at the dealership this morning, offered both keys and was told that they only need the primary key. The dealership was fair enough to warn that the updates are likely to take two days rather than the less-than-one as claimed by Porsche. I received a decent loaner (nicely optioned Macan S) and checked late this afternoon with the service manager how the progress looked like. I again offered to bring the second key but he again declined (after checking the procedure).

By the way 1: they successfully finished section 4 of the upgrade which appears to be the PCM upgrade. No fried PCM therefore (I hope). They will start section 5 tomorrow morning.

By the way 2: the loaner Macan had a Bose audio system. It did not sound half as good as the Bose in my Taycan. It has been claimed by other forum members that Bose did an unusually good job in the Taycan and that seems to be true.
Can confirm. I stuffed towels all around the subwoofer in my Macan & it made the Bose much more tolerable but it was still not very good. The Bose system in the Taycan is a big step up. I'm sure they had a bigger budget.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
All of you are seriously making me reconsider picking up my Taycan which is due in a few weeks. Is this car more trouble than it’s worth?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
All of you are seriously making me reconsider picking up my Taycan which is due in a few weeks. Is this car more trouble than it’s worth?
No trouble at all (if you don't take the days to update the car in account).
My car's much better now, really.
But hé, it's up to you.
If you'll run into the 12V issue, I'm sure you'll regret cancelling that appointment.
Porsche is responsible for the update, it'll never be YOUR problem.
So far no cars are write-offs, they'll fix it, one way or another.
In the end you'll get a better car, with or without some inconvenience along that way.
Please don't overreact, it's really not that bad (or just stop reading forum topics about troubles, every car has that, it's what forums are for).

There is a very good reason Porsche sends every single owner a letter to bring your car in and put massive extra workload on the dealer's workshop.
This costs a lot of money, for a very good reason.
Besides, it'll bring the car up to a better OTA state and you'll be able to update the car in the future without visiting the shop.
Btw, the OTA module is also updated so.... a no-brainer if you ask me.

Cheers.
Sponsored

Last edited: