Tesla Model S Plaid Announcement

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It really makes me wonder why they're taking this approach for the Model S and not just sticking with the Roadster, especially since the Roadster price-point is closer to a Turbo S.
Dick swinging rights. Lots easier to go fast in a straight line (just dump more juice into the motors) than it'd be to make it not drive like a barge.
Sponsored

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Dick swinging rights. Lots easier to go fast in a straight line (just dump more juice into the motors) than it'd be to make it not drive like a barge.
No doubt. Every company is guilty of backing themselves into this corner though. Just go to the Porsche website and every car gives you 3 pieces of info when you highlight over a model you're interested in. Horse power, top speed, and 0-60.

I get why folks don't like 0-60 times as the be all end all but it's also the speed range 99% of consumers experience everyday, and something that is very easy to visualize in the minds eye. Even if you just think about the classic scenario of sitting at a traffic light and someone rolls up next to you and wants to gun it, if you play along, it likely won't even last for that quarter mile. For real life city driving the 0-60 and straight line has more applications.

Tycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS5
Country flag
This still has me wondering why the Porsche/Audi GT are going with a two speed transmission. The stated advantages were acceleration and range, and they are both less than tesla with a single speed trans.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This still has me wondering why the Porsche/Audi GT are going with a two speed transmission. The stated advantages were acceleration and range, and they are both less than tesla with a single speed trans.
Try real world figures.
Tesla overenthusiastic, Porsche modest. :)

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The Model S slows down significantly above 100mph. The two speed transmission allows for greater acceleration and efficiency at high speeds like the autobahn. Go watch some of the half mile drag races between the Taycan and Model S. That's where you see the biggest difference.

For the Plaid version, we will see what happens. Not sure how they plan on getting those 1/4 mile times along with a 200mph top speed. The motors will be running at some serious RPM's or they won't accelerate as fast at low speeds. You can't have your cake and eat it too without a gearbox.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
just my perspective as a long time Tesla customer (I’ve own 5 Tesla’s and currently own 1 Tesla)

end of 2021 means mid 2022 _IF_ you’re lucky

sub-2 second 0-60 is difficult on street tires (physics not engineering) - the drive train may be able to do it - but it will require some pretty ideal conditions (temperature, surface type, and battery SOC)

at $154,000 base price I’ll take the Taycan’s fit/finish over Tesla’s for a simlar price

competition is good for all vendors - I love seeing the progress.
Yes 2022 if you are in the UK!

I agree there are physics that just can't be beaten, in real-world situations under 2.0 is pretty difficult.

Yes, I have to agree, unless you are a dragster, I would struggle to justify the same price tag as a premium Turbo S, with a resale price to consider also. As Elon himself said, no one needs a range of 500 miles so this isn't really a plus. They would have been much better off doing some redesigns on the interior than trying to be the fastest car out there.

Their battery tech looks very promising if they can pull it off.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
The motors will be running at some serious RPM's or they won't accelerate as fast at low speeds. You can't have your cake and eat it too without a gearbox.
Do you think they might attach two motors and have them geared differently so one takes over at the high speed and the other high revving one let's go a bit to avoid burning out, if that makes sense?

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Totally agree with you on the mid-2022 release for this. I'm still waiting to see Semi and Roadster produced.

Also agree that for $145k (and no more Federal Tax Credit) that I'd lean towards the Taycan for fit and finish alone. I don't have faith in Tesla being able to produce anything as good in terms of fit and finish as Porsche for at least the next 5-10 years.

Hopefully you'll be wrong on all the other Taycan items, but who knows!
I have a Taycan with the standard interior and I don’t see that much ultra luxury quality finish compared with my Model S 2019. Perhaps the lucky ones who paid 10K in interior upgrades with the Taycan can see the huge difference. Having said that, Tesla should offer a 8K upgrade and offer the top interior to compete with the other luxury brands.

Deleted member 1697

what a car !
but I can't drive with 2 joysticks and a tablet
I need a wheel

(driving German cars for 20 years... you can feel what is a German car just touching the steering wheel, even a volkswagen, still curious about this "wheel" feeling)

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
0-60 times below 3 or 4 seconds are worthless to me. My Model S 85D is absolutely fast enough for merging onto a freeway and making me master of my domain, to quote a Seinfeld episode, and my soon to be delivered Taycan 4S is faster still. I will probably engage in a Launch in my Taycan maybe 2 or 3 times, if that. Personally, I'm all about handling and the Taycan will literally run circles around a Model S Plaid, so who really cares if it's capable of a sub 2 second launch?

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
0-60 times below 3 or 4 seconds are worthless to me. My Model S 85D is absolutely fast enough for merging onto a freeway and making me master of my domain, to quote a Seinfeld episode, and my soon to be delivered Taycan 4S is faster still. I will probably engage in a Launch in my Taycan maybe 2 or 3 times, if that. Personally, I'm all about handling and the Taycan will literally run circles around a Model S Plaid, so who really cares if it's capable of a sub 2 second launch?
I have to admit that I have not used my launch control once since my car got delivered in mid-October. In order to satisfy my curiosity, I will probably do it a couple of times later this year, but I do not feel a great urge to try it. This is in no way meant critically for those who love to launch - more power to them (no pun intended) - but it is not a great priority for me personally.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I have a Taycan with the standard interior and I don’t see that much ultra luxury quality finish compared with my Model S 2019. Perhaps the lucky ones who paid 10K in interior upgrades with the Taycan can see the huge difference. Having said that, Tesla should offer a 8K upgrade and offer the top interior to compete with the other luxury brands.
This isn't a point of view shared by many people, the Taycan interior is one of the best on the market for any car sector and Tesla is widely recognised as having problems in this area.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Which is all that is needed for the dumb fanboy SM crowd, to do the free marketing...
Sponsored