2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Tesla lists some pretty amazing performance numbers for Plaid+ Model S:
520 mile range
0-60 mph in 1.99 seconds
1/4 mile time at 9.23 seconds and 155mph
Cd of 0.208
Base price around $139k

New interior with Roadster style steering wheel and Model 3/Y dashboard, new 17 inch screen centrally located. Exterior looks pretty similar. Direct response to make what they consider the best performing EV in the sport sedan segment. I still like my Taycan 4S more than either Model S I have owned, but Tesla is putting out some scary numbers to reach for for any other EV manufacturer. Hard to beat those numbers.
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
But that’s the point, they are just numbers. Tesla has the numbers, but go ahead and drive one and see what the “total experience” is. Even the M3P which is the “best” is still nothing like a real sports car, in terms of feel, performance, details and fitness. The Taycan has all the refinement and knowledge that Porsche embodied. The Model S, Plaid or otherwise, is the same.

Its for those reasons that despite wanting an electric two seater very badly, and being a first gen Roadster owner, I would never consider getting the “new” Roadster. Straight line speed alone is for kids.

Edit: took a look at the pics. This is more of a “movie set” interior than a useable ones. Maybe others will like this, but I am NOT driving a car with that kind of a yoke very aggressively. It just won’t work.

Last edited:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
While I was very disappointed the first time I sat in a Model S I think if Plaid manages to beat the Taycan’s ring time significantly then Porsche’s going to have a problem and have to respond with a tri-motor setup (they should have one regardless IMHO). It’s not a given that Plaid will be faster though as that kind of stuff is harder than bursts of straight line acceleration.

While the steering wheel is ridiculous it does solve the problem of the top of the wheel blocking the instrument cluster. Aren’t 992 owners pretty pissed about that?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
not interested at all - I’ve owned Tesla’s - love them as an EV - not so fond of them as a car…

but even if i was - I’m really really really _NOT_ interested with that steering wheel on the plaid - what were they thinking?

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I feel that the steering wheel will face the same fate as Audi e-trons camera side mirrors. They look cool and are an inspiration to the upcoming production car, but in real life they are not practical.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...but Tesla is putting out some scary numbers to reach for for any other EV manufacturer. Hard to beat those numbers.
Or maybe nobody dares to cheat like that - Dieselgate?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Tesla numbers are always too optimistic like previous drag times show.
First, I doubt if you can achieve those numbers without a gearbox.
Second, even if you'll add more radiators, three motors will add more heat than extra radiators can dispensate.
It'll heat up the battery even faster.
It's probably the same hurdle where the Taycan also struggles.

Last edited:

phil-c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Lotus elise s2 111s
Country flag
Hello , Having owned a tesla s I can confirm that the finish and the after sales service and many other problems have nothing to do with the Porsche and then the plaid it accelerates well once and then you need fans to cool it because the batteries do not overheat the case with porsche !! :like::like:

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
Tesla lists some pretty amazing performance numbers for Plaid+ Model S:
520 mile range
0-60 mph in 1.99 seconds
1/4 mile time at 9.23 seconds and 155mph
Cd of 0.208
Base price around $139k

New interior with Roadster style steering wheel and Model 3/Y dashboard, new 17 inch screen centrally located. Exterior looks pretty similar. Direct response to make what they consider the best performing EV in the sport sedan segment. I still like my Taycan 4S more than either Model S I have owned, but Tesla is putting out some scary numbers to reach for for any other EV manufacturer. Hard to beat those numbers.
I’m a big visual guy, in my opinion one looks like a sports car that people take pictures of while it’s going downtown to the newest steakhouse on a Friday night and the other looks really nice sedan heading to applebee’s with the family.

Again my opinion but they are night and day.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
not interested at all - I’ve owned Tesla’s - love them as an EV - not so fond of them as a car…

but even if i was - I’m really really really _NOT_ interested with that steering wheel on the plaid - what were they thinking?
You could still improve it with an aftermarket modification.
Porsche Taycan Tesla Model S Plaid+ on the website for configuration 1611837462320

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
I'm sorry but this new interior is still ugly as f*ck. Really can't imagine myself driving this.

Next to this there is the Porsche brand, heritage, tradition, history and myth. Let alone build quality, driving experience and value. I'd rather be driving a bone stock Porsche Taycan base model than one of those Plaid+ things full option.

Plaid was briefly considered, but 1000% happy and convinced the Porsche was, and still is, the right choice (for me).

Last edited:

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
While I was very disappointed the first time I sat in a Model S I think if Plaid manages to beat the Taycan’s ring time significantly then Porsche’s going to have a problem and have to respond with a tri-motor setup (they should have one regardless IMHO). It’s not a given that Plaid will be faster though as that kind of stuff is harder than bursts of straight line acceleration.

While the steering wheel is ridiculous it does solve the problem of the top of the wheel blocking the instrument cluster. Aren’t 992 owners pretty pissed about that?
The Tesla will need to make it all the way round the Nürburgring at least once, rather than "extrapolating" from the point it broke down like they did last time.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Most people test drive a car before they buy it. How that car makes you feel, how it engages you, the whole experience, is part of what moves us to make purchases. Many of us here, myself included, have had Tesla vehicles. Heck my wife's daily driver is a model Y SUV right now. I'm Tesla fan-boy #1 ... yet at the end of the day, not a single Tesla I've driven has the chassis dynamics and driver engagement that the Taycan has provided me.

That said, if your goal is to be the fastest at the drag strip, or at a stop light race, it is hard to ignore the claimed 1.99 second Plaid or "sub-1.99 second" Plaid+ claims from Tesla. Beyond that, the interior of the model S is greatly improved. Whether you like it or not (subjectively) doesn't matter; its a step in the right direction (other than maybe that stupid steering wheel). Side note: I think there are some horrid aspects of the Taycan interior, where the Tesla was superior. And that is objective and subjective. But I won't get into that just yet with this post.

Given that the average price of a new car purchased was just shy of $40k for 2020, the reality is that $80k Tesla Model S vehicles and $200k+ Taycan Turbo S vehicles run the gamut from expensive to REALLY expensive. At which point, why would someone buy one car versus the other? It could be because someone talked them into a brand, or they are already brand loyal. They might love, or hate, Elon Musk and that might influence them. Perhaps they drove both, and loved the tech in one, or the handling of the other. All of these are viable options.

In three years time, when none of us have free charging, the Tesla will prove to be the more efficient car to own (cost wise, eco wise, etc). But by then, perhaps the Level 3 charging for non-Tesla cars will be on par or better, who knows? Right now, the software updates with the Tesla UX are better than Porsche. There is a lot to like about the Tesla, and I don't think it is wrong to appreciate both. Neither car is without flaws. If my affluence was ample, I'd order a Plaid Model S, and I'd also have a Roadster on order. But both are a bit more than I think I want to spend right now.

Love my Taycan 4S. It is the most expensive car I've ever owned. And it is fun to drive. Tesla needs to do a lot of tweaking to make the model S dynamically corner like anything Porsche makes. But for day to day enjoyment, there isn't a doubt in my mind that the app/tech/UX of the Tesla reigns supreme.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Only one question about the "new" Tesla with the 12 year old exterior design. Can you turn off traction control?

I had a Model S for three years while I waited for my Taycan and aside from the total lack of handling, steering feel and quality, the inability to turn off traction control is ridiculous for a car at this price level. God knows we have enough people telling us what we can and can't do these days, I don't need my car limiting performance "for my safety".

That being said, for the majority of people considering electric cars, range trumps everything, and with the vastly improved interior design, great technology and self-driving abilities, this refresh is going to hurt the other car companies quite a bit. I bet there were several higher ups at the german car companies being woken up in the middle of the night to hear about this one.

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I want to add one other observation. Ignoring the "one shot" acceleration spec, when I configure the Plaid, there is NO WAY that in my mind this car is worth $156k. The interior is "ok" but looks kid racer with carbon fiber detailing. Granted it is a matter of taste but I don't get any choice, I have to live with a very specific and in my opinion immature aesthetic. All the kid racers have tons of carbon fiber interior details. I was not a Porsche owner before Taycan, but the minute I drove and sat in the car my initial impression (that the car couldn't be worth the price) went away and it became a matter of do I want to spend the money. Every time I have test driven a "performance" Tesla it has always been the opposite, I simply could never get myself to see why the car was costing so much.

And maybe there is the crux of the matter for me. Its not that I am anti-Tesla, or I do not appreciate the car or the company. First its too numb, its not for me, but that is not an issue for most. But the fact that they never seem like they are worth the cost, with the exception of the base Model 3, is an issue. I have purchased way pricier cars without any hesitation about what I was getting for the price. I don't think I have ever come close with a Tesla. That is why I ended up with a Leaf, an i3, a Bolt and now the Jaguar I-Pace (which BTW is pricey but worth it), but never a Model 3/S/X.

I purchased the original Roadster to "support" the cause. It was like making an investment into an idea, so the excess price was justified. But not since.
Sponsored