daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think EA in the US will be hard to beat in terms of power/charge time but it would still be nice.
if the stations are congested and/or unreliable then they are not powerful or fast - they are inert false promises…

the Tesla supercharger network actually works and has large stall counts - 150 kW charging is faster than most people realize with the _REAL_ world difference between 270 kW charging and 150 kW charging to 80-90% being about 6-8 min total session time (270 kW being faster, but honestly not by that much)…
  • with one charging network you arrive at the charging location assuming it's working…Tesla…and you're often right
  • with the other charging network you arrive charging location hoping it's working…Electrify America…and you're often disappointed
I'll take a working 120 kW Tesla supercharger over a dis-functional EA 350 kW CCS charger any day of the week…

and after owning Tesla's since 2013 and my Taycan since July 2020 - guess what's true...

the Tesla supercharger network actually works and is reliable, the EA network - yeah - not so much.

the most important feature of a fast charger is that it is working when you're parked in front of it - EA doesn't seem to get that basic point - they have a lot of 150/350 kW charger that sit with "Unavailble" on screen for most of their lifespan to date…and EA does not seem to care.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
the Tesla supercharger network actually works and has large stall counts - 150 kW charging is faster than most people realize with the _REAL_ world difference between 270 kW charging and 150 kW charging to 80-90% being about 6-8 min total session time (270 kW being faster, but honestly not by that much)…
That is the difference I have experienced by using 150 kW chargers as well. From 15% to 80 % took about 7-8 minutes extra. I am not sure if they were 400 volt or 800 volt chargers though. I guess if they were 400 volt one would experience slightly lower power going into the battery due to the losses in converting 400 volt to 800.

Even if Tesla at this stage has not opened all of their stations in Europe, the fact is that Tesla have more charge points here than Ionity. Not sites whic are about 200 Tesl against 415 Ionity, but by number of chargers. Ionity with their average of 4 per site against 9 or 10 per site for Tesla. And in my experience I have too often seen at least one of the chrgers being out of order at the Ionity sites. Disappointingly in the UK the same charger was out of order for 8 days when we visited. And that was despite me and a number of other people reporting this to Ionity. The support lines answer ”YES we are aware of the fault at the charger being out of order”.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
150kw is not much slower than 270kw. But you need to take into account that a car that is capable of charging at 270kw, typically can stay around and above 150kw much longer, than a car that has a peak charging speed of 150kw.

By the way: Tried the Telsa charging app today for non-telsa's. Gave an error message while loading the list of charging locations. Failed to charge the car. I will try again later. Not yet completely reliable.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is the difference I have experienced by using 150 kW chargers as well. From 15% to 80 % took about 7-8 minutes extra. I am not sure if they were 400 volt or 800 volt chargers though. I guess if they were 400 volt one would experience slightly lower power going into the battery due to the losses in converting 400 volt to 800.

Even if Tesla at this stage has not opened all of their stations in Europe, the fact is that Tesla have more charge points here than Ionity. Not sites whic are about 200 Tesl against 415 Ionity, but by number of chargers. Ionity with their average of 4 per site against 9 or 10 per site for Tesla. And in my experience I have too often seen at least one of the chrgers being out of order at the Ionity sites. Disappointingly in the UK the same charger was out of order for 8 days when we visited. And that was despite me and a number of other people reporting this to Ionity. The support lines answer ”YES we are aware of the fault at the charger being out of order”.
voltage transformations up/down suffer "less" conversion losses (if done right by the onboard hardware) than AC/DC conversions - but still some - I'd humbly suggest any voltage transformation losses are "noise" in the system compared to AC/DC conversions which are typically 5-10% - voltage transformations are along the lines of resistance/heat losses which while can be measured but are rarely significant - you'll lose more power if you sit in the car running the vehicle PCM/heating-cooling than measured losses causes by voltage conversions…

if I'm wrong I welcome any EE's schooling this CS major.

Last edited:

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Finger crossed for an expedited opening of the Tesla network in the NA market for non-Tesla vehicles. So I can convince my friend switching from a Tesla to a Taycan:fingerscrossed:;)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Finger crossed for an expedited opening of the Tesla network in the NA market for non-Tesla vehicles. So I can convince my friend switching from a Tesla to a Taycan:fingerscrossed:;)
That shouldn't be necessary. Tell the friend to drive a Taycan - 1 drive may be all that is needed. 🏁

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NA is harder - wrong shaped plugs - grrrr

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
That shouldn't be necessary. Tell the friend to drive a Taycan - 1 drive may be all that is needed. 🏁
That would be the plan once mine arrive in a month!

My feedback after driving his Model Y was very...unexcited.

He works in real estate and stack up high mileage around Town. So Tesla charging network is a great asset for him. He used to drive a Audi S7, I couldn't imagine the sadness in him by switching into a Tesla SUV, although he didn't show it to me, I can look into his soul and tell:cool:

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
NA is harder - wrong shaped plugs - grrrr
I know, there has to be some non-trivial upgrade to the existing SC infrastructure. But if they do add in CCS compatibility, then hopefully the people at Tesla would take the cable length into consideration and increase the length to suit the general EV market.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
people in north america shouldn't be holding their breath while waiting for the tesla superchargers to be open to all.
there are massive conversion issues involved and it makes little economic sense for tesla to prioritize this.
there is real time and then there is tesla time, long time tesla owners should get it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
CCS adapter - not conversion!

is my bet.
Sponsored