Sponsored

Last edited:

Kryptos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone spent time in both 14-way and 18-way and able to compare? Not just on comfort, but also support during hard driving? I realize the 18-way sport seats aren't buckets, but wondering if they're worth the upgrade. The seats in my current M3 are the best I've ever had in any car so want to make the right choice as I spec the 4s. Thnx

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On my previously owned Macan, I found the 14-way fairly uncomfortable. I made 18-way a requirement going forward and the 18-way on my Panamera were the most comfortable seats of any car I owned (aside from my wife's Mercedes which is probably on-par). 18-way was a requirement for the Taycan as well - and was a no-cost option on the Turbo which was nice.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have the 18-way and no ventilation.
I have a bit of a problem on the lower back settings...
It comes down to a few mm to get it ok.
Other than that it's fine.
I had a Macan S and a Panamera 4S as a loaner and those were much better so I think you are right about the cushioning.
I was wondering, if I am the only one, struggling a bit with the seat. I just ordered a cushion. Next month going on a long trip, need to have the seat working...

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I had 18-way seats in a 2018 718gts that I traded in for a 4s that I will pick up on Tuesday. I made two long trips in 2019: Boston and a summer tour of the midwest. In both cases, I struggled to get the angles just right to keep my lower back from fussing...and I work out regularly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I am hoping the 18-way seats in the new car end up being more comfortable...maybe a thin soft pad might do the trick?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I had 18-way seats in a 2018 718gts that I traded in for a 4s that I will pick up on Tuesday. I made two long trips in 2019: Boston and a summer tour of the midwest. In both cases, I struggled to get the angles just right to keep my lower back from fussing...and I work out regularly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I am hoping the 18-way seats in the new car end up being more comfortable...maybe a thin soft pad might do the trick?
You might be on to something...

I don't work out at all and my lifestyle is pretty non-healthy. I find the seats pretty comfortable.

Have you considered making changes to your lifestyle?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Oh no!! So uncomfortable? LOL
It really depends on the individual. I have the 14 way seats with the massage option. I completed two 900+ mile trips without feeling any stiffness from the seats. I have had the 18 way seats in my other Porsches. They are great too. I really wanted the massage option this time.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I have the 18-way seats and find them firm but comfortable, more so than on my previous Audi that had sports seats.

I haven't done any really long trips but quite a few 90min+ journeys and one that was 3 hours due to an accident (unfortunately also the cat's first trip in a car..). No problems with back pain. They don't have a lot of room, no problem for me as I'm quite slimline but I wouldn't want to be a lot bigger.

@louv can probably give a pretty informed opinion on long distance comfort if he's still posting on here.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

@louv can probably give a pretty informed opinion on long distance comfort if he's still posting on here.
mostly I lurk. :cool:

I had the 14-way seats. I got them adjusted perfectly for me. Lumbar support was key. So was angle of seat bottom and thigh support.

Also, make sure your steering wheel isn’t too far away. With your upper back against the seat, reach your arm out over the steering wheel. The top of the wheel should hit right where your wrist bends. If it’s too far away you might be leaning forward to steer, which could annoy your back.

If I understand the difference correctly, the 18-way gives you the ability to adjust the narrowness of the seatback side bolsters. As a skinny guy, it would have helped in the twisties. But wasn’t strictly necessary.

I drove the whole 11,000 mile trip without any back problems or soreness. I had the car for a month and got it set up to my taste before the trip

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
You may need to check out s class seats. Oh but taycan is much better in all aspects I forgot
Andrew; Respectfully - If you wanna keep posting here - Try keeping your posts somewhat informative, knowledgeable, funny, witty or otherwise classy. I've failed to see you make any - whatsoever - contribution to this forum. We get it - you like the S63 - which is a fantastic car by all means. But here the visitors are interested in the Taycan. This was written in a friendly tone - I hope it is taken as such.

Regarding seats the 18-way are the best seats I've ever had. I tried the 14-way and was very, VERY, happy I chose 18-way. Believe if one is on the heftier side of the scale then 14 would be better suited.

OP
OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You may need to check out s class seats. Oh but taycan is much better in all aspects I forgot
It makes me laugh that you're attempting to troll me both for being a Taycan fanboy and for giving unbiased critique of the Taycan. Am I a fanboy or a hater? Make up your mind.

I probably would take the S class seats! But not at the expense of otherwise driving a rich soccer parent car (nothing wrong with that, though, just not what I need/want!)

The 14 ways are okay. I think they'd be better if I had the Olea leather and no ventilation. I don't really notice any discomfort but I also don't notice how nice they are like I have with other Porsche seats.

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
Just to circle back.. I'm almost to 10k miles and the 14 way seats are the same. They just lack cushioning and are quite firm. I have adjusted to them so don't notice at much but I'd put them like a 4/10 on the comfort scale. If I had back issues these road trips would be a real problem.

The 18 ways in my Macan I'd put a 9/10, the 14 ways in my Panamera a 6.5/10, the 991.2 and 992 18-ways a 7.5/10 (although I have only spent a few hundred miles in those).

My iPace had similar seats although even worse, to the point I would have had to sell the car if it hadn't been lemoned. These ultra thin, "stylish" seats seem to be a trend and buck comfort for looking cool.

And yes, mine have ventilation due to the Premium Package. If I were to re-order I'd get Olea leather, no ventilation, 18 ways without a second thought.
so on the 14 way “comfort“ seats suggest to anyone reading this to avoid them at all costs. To anwer an earlier thread mine are un-ventilated but heated. Actually when the heater is on they feel even less comfortable. As has been said they lack cushioning on the bottom part esp. towards the part closest to the seatback. By contrast my Macan seats which i tried yesterday are v comfotable

fred23

First Name
frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha
Country flag
I have the 14-way memory seats in my 2016 Cayman and it took me a while to get them right. I started off with my seat fully down and pushed fully back against the engine cover, then moved it up and forward until my legs were in a comfortable position for the pedals. I then moved the seat recliner until it felt ok. Then moved the steering wheel into a position where the top of the wheel just started to obscure the top of the rev counter.
Then with my arms stretched out and, just slightly bent, moved the wheel towards me until my inner wrists touched the steering wheel. After that, I played around with the lumber adjustments, but sometimes I have to readjust these depending on how long I’m sitting, but the main seat settings stay the same. Hope this is of some help.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I didn't find the 14-way comfort seats very comfortable on a test drive, so after trying out the 18-way I optioned those. I put it down to personal preference at the time.
Sponsored