Shaf

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6 Allroad
Country flag
Does anyone have any hands on experience with the variable panorama roof? I’m I Florida and the standard panoram roof is getting pretty hot. The questions are is the optional roof cooler when closed and does really let in less ligHt?
Sponsored

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Does anyone have any hands on experience with the variable panorama roof? I’m I Florida and the standard panoram roof is getting pretty hot. The questions are is the optional roof cooler when closed and does really let in less ligHt?
Would you spec that roof again on your next car ?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I find this interesting. I’m in Austin TX where we’ve had a lot of sun and a lot of days over 100. I don’t think the pano roof lets much extra heat in at all.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I find this interesting. I’m in Austin TX where we’ve had a lot of sun and a lot of days over 100. I don’t think the pano roof lets much extra heat in at all.
Do you have the std glass or insulated?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Do you have the std glass or insulated?
Standard glass. Honestly I’ve been surprised at how much heat the standard glass blocks out compared to our other car (not a Porsche) with no pano roof. That other car gets much hotter in the sun.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Standard glass. Honestly I’ve been surprised at how much heat the standard glass blocks out compared to our other car (not a Porsche) with no pano roof. That other car gets much hotter in the sun.
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t have my Taycan yet…still a Pan ST for now with a big glass roof. I live in the Northeast but I don’t think it gets too hot either. Hoping that it’s not an issue on Taycan since there is no sunroof 🤞

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Experimenting with aircon on eco or completely off yesterday- a rare very sunny day- I noted that the cabin materials were being heated through the windscreen but not the pano roof (both standard options), even though the sun was visible through the roof but not the windscreen.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
Never had an issue with the roof with noise or temperature - it looks great, gives more headroom. Go for it!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I had a loaner Macan with rear tinted windows this week - had it literally for a few hours as car done with sw upgrade way faster than predicted(!).

We've had an early taste of Texas summer this June with peak daily temps in the 100-105F range - what I noticed almost immediately in the Macan was the really noticeable heat transference through side and front windshield (not tinted) - it was really massively apparent and just reconfirmed to me how effective the thermally insulated glass is on the Taycan - blown away TBH!

Also in these high heat days I am having next to no impact of heat to my head via the (std) roof glass in my CT - just echos what others have mentioned and the heat retardancy/insulation seems also very effective.

As an aside the Taycan drive experience night and day to the Macan - latter like comparing an elephant to a cheetah :)!

Loaner:
Porsche Taycan Variable light roof IMG_6641

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t have my Taycan yet…still a Pan ST for now with a big glass roof. I live in the Northeast but I don’t think it gets too hot either. Hoping that it’s not an issue on Taycan since there is no sunroof 🤞
Panamera has a blind whereas the Taycan does not so there's a lot riding on the insulation of the glass to reflect heat away.

Unclear if the VLC enhances it further - my guess is probably not and if so it will be marginal.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Insulated glass option doesn't alter the pano roof and is the same with or without (already Insulated).
I am aware. More interested in whether those in hot weather conditions find the pano roof more/less comfortable in combination with the insulated glass. The pano roof is generally std in the US….the only thing we can choose is the insulate
I had a loaner Macan with rear tinted windows this week - had it literally for a few hours as car done with sw upgrade way faster than predicted(!).

We've had an early taste of Texas summer this June with peak daily temps in the 100-105F range - what I noticed almost immediately in the Macan was the really noticeable heat transference through side and front windshield (not tinted) - it was really massively apparent and just reconfirmed to me how effective the thermally insulated glass is on the Taycan - blown away TBH!

Also in these high heat days I am having next to no impact of heat to my head via the (std) roof glass in my CT - just echos what others have mentioned and the heat retardancy/insulation seems also very effective.

As an aside the Taycan drive experience night and day to the Macan - latter like comparing a elephant to a cheetah :)!

Loaner:
IMG_6641.jpeg
Helpful context. Thanks for sharing. I opted for the

As an aside the Taycan drive experience night and day to the Macan - latter like comparing a elephant to a cheetah :)!

Loaner:
IMG_6641.jpeg
Helpful context. Thanks for sharing. I opted for the insulated glass too.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Insulated glass option doesn't alter the pano roof and is the same with or without (already Insulated).
I think the insulated is different, it’s a different colour especially when wet. The standard has a brown/purple hue the insulated remains black.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I think the insulated is different, it’s a different colour especially when wet. The standard has a brown/purple hue the insulated remains black.
As far as I recall and what's in the new configurator, the roof glass has std thermal insulation (and possibly noise insulation?) whereas the specific option to add thermal and noise insulated glass in the configurator refers only to the front windshield, rear glass and side windows as follows:

Porsche Taycan Variable light roof Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 4.30.09 PM

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have factory tinted and T&N insulated glass.

When parked next to another car there is an obvious color difference for the windscreen and front windows.

The rear windows look black in the shade but in full sun they have blueish hue. I don’t know if this is the Porsche tinting itself or the T&N insulating. When looking inside out it looks like they should be cleaned and covered with a greasy layer. But they are not.
Sponsored