Why is the range on a full charge only showing as 211 miles?

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I picked up my Taycan Turbo on Friday and am loving it. It is so much better than I expected . My only concern is the range. On a full charge it is showing as 211
miles? I thought the range was around 280 miles?? Why is it only showing 211??
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Three things:
- we call the estimated range display in any electric vehicle a "guess-o-meter" because its just a guess based on past usage
- when the weather is cold, the range decreases as power is used to warm up the battery and to heat the interior of the car. As we move into the Spring and Summer, the range will increase
- the range will change over the first couple of hundred miles based on real power used per mile

So, relax, drive a few hundred miles and the estimated range will be more accurate.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Three things:
- we call the estimated range display in any electric vehicle a "guess-o-meter" because its just a guess based on past usage
- when the weather is cold, the range decreases as power is used to warm up the battery and to heat the interior of the car. As we move into the Spring and Summer, the range will increase
- the range will change over the first couple of hundred miles based on real power used per mile

So, relax, drive a few hundred miles and the estimated range will be more accurate.
Yes, I agree. It will increase over time as you drive it more.

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
The mileage estimate is calculated base on your driving history. The "starting" estimate is set at the factory to 210 miles or so. My car began with a 210 mile prediction from a full charge and gradually increased so that now a full charge has 266 miles. I have the large wheels which decreased mileage. I believe folks with the standard wheels are getting close to 280 miles on a full charge. My expectation that as you drive more your numbers will increase.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I’m getting around 212 :) i can only hope to get closer to that number :)

Pandsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 650s, Mustang ME, Taycan CT4
Country flag
If I really need to get accurate range during a trip, I use miles/kWh x battery capacity to get close to real world rang, or (Miles driven in 10%) / 0.1 * percentage remaining = actual miles remaining.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Also for the first few hundred kilometres or so, regen is disabled for some reason. The range will then most likely slowly start increasing the more you drive.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I picked up my Taycan Turbo on Friday and am loving it. It is so much better than I expected . My only concern is the range. On a full charge it is showing as 211
miles? I thought the range was around 280 miles?? Why is it only showing 211??
Unrealistic to expect 280 in UK climate.

A lot depends on ambient outside temperature and the battery temperature.

Charging at home at this time of year will not increase battery temp by much and so estimated / reported range will be around 185 - 190 miles on a 85% charge and 225 - 230 miles on a 100% charge.

In summer when ambient temperature is mid 20s then you can expect the estimate to rise to 240 - 260 miles @ 100% .

Charging at a ultra high speed DC unit e.g Ionity (up to 350kW - 270kW max actual) will significantly increase your battery temp - 32C or higher - and the estimated range nudge towards 280 or higher. As the battery cools down from charging the range will be adjusted downward and so the reported range will never be as high as you'd like / expect.

Note also that use of AC to heat the car will eat mileage particularly at this time of year.

Constant speed driving at say 70mph will also be less efficient.

Lots to learn here and care needed when planning longer journeys.

Use the range calculator on the Taycan website to help set expectations.

Add some miles and your range will increase and remember that 'coasting' is your friend (more so than regen in day to day use).