Will older models get the new push to pass upgrade?

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
It's just a racing term. It's not literally for passing on the freeway. It's about the fun of driving a Porsche. I would take an 80 hp 10 second boost on my 4S any day. Who wouldn't want more power? If you have felt that power boost during Launch Control then you know what it's about. It's what an EV does so well that an ICE car can't.
If that was important to me, I would simply get a faster/more powerful car.

Porsche, if you are listening…..your marketing is clearly working on some of us though 🙂
Sponsored

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
As has been mentioned there's the assignable button on the steering wheel.
Yes, but from reading the other threads I think that button is required to be mapped to Skip/Next Track :p

Either way it would be a nice added feature. As currently programmed, all our cars have additional power available that can ONLY be accessed from a full stop. Show me an ICE car with the same limits imposed.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Check out posts by @Mr.Smith and/or a site advertiser for how to get that permanently. No button pushing required.
And without throwing shade their way, I am absolutely NOT comfortable using a third party to unlock this on my Taycan. Even some of the well established ICE tuners have run into mapping issues that blew up engines and left the owners with no warranty recourse.

YMMV

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
On another note, I'm convinced Hyundai and Porsche are working together on EVs, probably through their Rimac partnership
First 800v architecture, then Push to pass on the Ioniq5 N and now the Taycan Facelift

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Hyundai also makes the ugly 4 door versions of the Taycan.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Technically, they could let us assign it to one of the programmable buttons. I always thought that having the extra power tied to launch control was ridiculous. Most people will never launch control - especially on city streets. I'm on my 4th car with launch control and have yet to use it.

That said, push-to-pass is better than nothing because it's at least usable in normal situations, but it's not that ideal either. You usually forget to use it so you're done doing whatever you were doing by the time you remember you should have pushed it. My 991.2 had a boost ability that was tied to sport chrono that was activated by pushing the button in the middle of the dial. I think I only used it a single-digit number of times.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
I am more focused on RWD given that model would benefit most from something like this. I don't think Porsche would do it officially (especially given new RWD does not have push to pass).

It is a pity so much of the power not available without LC and makes such a big difference, almost 100hp can not be utilized in most relevant driving conditions. It is driven by Porsche's obsession on "consistent delivery" of the power. They are worried about those instances when Battery Voltage drops (cold, low SOC etc) so they bring the standard power to the lowest common denominator for all driving conditions.

I would rather have the higher power available most of the time and would not care if there is some inconsistency (eg when battery conditions are not ideal).

As risky as it is, third party tuning to enable more power is looking very tempting given the depreciation situation (yes I squeezed depreciation here because it is relevant). At this point, the only reason I would upgrade my 2yr old very low milage RWD is for 15-20% more power, and with this market every upgrade is financial disaster. So instead of eating another $30-40K in depreciation, which is guaranteed if I upgrade, why not do the tuning, get the power and hope your car won't break down? Arguably "Expected loss" - is much less in the second scenario.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
As currently programmed, all our cars have additional power available that can ONLY be accessed from a full stop. Show me an ICE car with the same limits imposed.
Um, all of them? The Veyron required you to stop, turn off, open the door, and insert+turn a key to access full power.

The TopGear/GrandTour collection is full of LC gags.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As currently programmed, all our cars have additional power available that can ONLY be accessed from a full stop. Show me an ICE car with the same limits imposed.
Um, all of them? The Veyron required you to stop, turn off, open the door, and insert+turn a key to access full power.

The TopGear/GrandTour collection is full of LC gags.
Perhaps my statement was not clear. Launch control in an ICE vehicle is most certainly intended to give the fastest repeatable acceleration from a stop, but we're talking about the Taycan limiting power across the board unless you use LC. Veyron and a few select others aside, in most ICE applications the engine's max HP can be extracted whether you use LC or not. You'll note that Car and Driver testers frequently achieve better 0-60 and quarter mile times without launch control.

And the Top Gear gags were definitely fun to watch.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Perhaps my statement was not clear. Launch control in an ICE vehicle is most certainly intended to give the fastest repeatable acceleration from a stop, but we're talking about the Taycan limiting power across the board unless you use LC. Veyron and a few select others aside, in most ICE applications the engine's max HP can be extracted whether you use LC or not. You'll note that Car and Driver testers frequently achieve better 0-60 and quarter mile times without launch control.

And the Top Gear gags were definitely fun to watch.
You did say to show you one. :)
But thanks for clarifying - indeed I understood what you meant, but was focused on finding exceptions rather than interpret it as a broad statement.

Still, I find that certain comparisons between ICE and EV vehicles are difficult (so as not to call them "tendentious"*) because the concepts are so vastly different. In an ICE, as long as the engine/transmission are within normal operating parameters, the engine works the same at redline in 1st gear/50mph, or in the top gear at 150. You protect the engine with the rev limiter, and that's about it. I don't know of an ICE car with a push button to "unlock more revs". (An asterisk here: BMW did offer, on some of their M cars, a button-actuated water spraying of the turbo intake, to lower air temp/increase the volume of air delivered into the chamber. That's effectively a "power boost".)

The additional power unlocked via LC in an EV is more comparable with a temporary higher rev limit in an ICE; it's not sustainable - at least not safely, and it's somewhat understandable that the manufacturer chose to limit its availability. (Well, that, and there are the additional "games" of creating several models with identical hw, to cover a broader price range.)

*Probably my favorite one regards battery charging levels, and how, somehow, recommending a SoC less than 100% is akin to not filling one's gas tank fully. Well, sure, but you don't get more power with a larger gas tank on an ICE either..)

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
many of these options take the fun out of driving. I'll pass - pls forgive the pun.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My 2020 Turbo has push-to-pass *literally anything* built in to the accelerator pedal :)
Anything except for Model 3 Performance, Model Y Performance, Model S Plaid, Model X Plaid, Mustang Mach-E GT, Cybertruck, Lucid Air Saphire, etc, etc. I have a Turbo, it takes Launch Control to pass any of those, but you cannot activate LC while moving :(

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The additional power unlocked via LC in an EV is more comparable with a temporary higher rev limit in an ICE; it's not sustainable - at least not safely, and it's somewhat understandable that the manufacturer chose to limit its availability.
Even power available outside of LC in a Taycan is not sustainable beyond a few laps on a course. So why only lock out the last little bit by LC, and lock out the rest based on SoC, temperatures, etc? The only reason I can think of, Porsche is scared shitless the extra power could damage the car, so might as well lock it behind a drag racing setting. Most people would use it very rarely this way. I've had my Taycan for over a year now, the accelerator hits the floor many times almost every drive, I have yet to use LC though, as I don't drag race.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The only reason I can think of, Porsche is scared shitless the extra power could damage the car, so might as well lock it behind a drag racing setting.
Which is a funny engineering decision to me, since this type of launch puts so much added stress on a car, yet Porsche tells you this is the only way to extract the full power of their EV.
Sponsored